Running a Dog over

Chervil

Site Supporter
Thanks, will do that tomorrow when I phone the owner and hopefully get their insurance details
As far as I remember, it should be within 24 hours of the accident. Hope your wife is okay.

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I had a similar thing just missing Staffy running out from Victoria Park in Leicester and would have been annoyed if I hit it.

My sisters dog, Cockapoo, still chases cars and bikes so is not let off the lead anywhere near them.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've been out and checked the car a bit more closely and the OSF bumper is broken, so is the plastic underskirt and wheel arch liner.
The indicator seems okay though but then again it's hard to say as we can't find the switch ;)

BMW X3 so most likely will have to go through someones insurance

nutmeg

Site Supporter
I was led to believe that there is no legal requirement now ro report hitting a dog, with a motor vehicle, this l was told became the case when dog owners were no longer meant to buy a dog license.

floatfisher

Site Supporter
Dog RTA is still reportable as Chervil said Phil. It's cats that aren't. Are you still emptying that welsh canal by the way?

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Dog RTA is still reportable as Chervil said Phil. It's cats that aren't. Are you still emptying that welsh canal by the way?

Yes mate still plundering it lol 20lb 2oz one day last week, have found a section on the Shroppie thats starting to produce some nice roach and perch. And on Tuesday going to try an area of the Shroppie l havent fished for at least 25 years so fingers crossed it will produce the goods.

rudd

Site Supporter
Oh dogs on leads.
Everytime we walk the inlaws dog, other dogs off leads come running up.
Its ok he/she is friendly is the normal line - but you dont know if mine is do you (shes good as gold) is my normal retort.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
My previous Boxer hated other dogs, especially when we had the female Boxer with us, so he was only let off the lead if other dogs weren't about because you could predict the outcome otherwise if another dog came over for a sniff

floatfisher

Site Supporter
Yes mate still plundering it lol 20lb 2oz one day last week, have found a section on the Shroppie thats starting to produce some nice roach and perch. And on Tuesday going to try an area of the Shroppie l havent fished for at least 25 years so fingers crossed it will produce the goods.
Nice to hear. Good luck on the new stretch.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Knocking a dog over stays with you forever. I still remember knocking one over when I was in my thirties. Didnt kill it. It ran off but, after knocking on a lot of doors I eventually found the owner. The dog made a full recovery I was told later. On this occasion the owner had put said dog in rear garden while a tradesman was working in the house. The dog then dug its way out and ran on to the road. Cant really blame the owner I dont suppose.

Ive had dogs all my life. The two I have now are my black springador gundogs. They are massively obediant. They have to be. If I tell them to sit and stay they would sit there until it went dark and then some. How is this ? By spending hours and hours and hours with them. Praise is what they love. Never hit a dog. That will have the opposite effect. They know the difference between work and play though. Just ask Wise Owl how my eldest dog retrieves an item out of our local canal. Its a sight to see.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Knocking a dog over stays with you forever. I still remember knocking one over when I was in my thirties. Didnt kill it. It ran off but, after knocking on a lot of doors I eventually found the owner. The dog made a full recovery I was told later. On this occasion the owner had put said dog in rear garden while a tradesman was working in the house. The dog then dug its way out and ran on to the road. Cant really blame the owner I dont suppose.

Ive had dogs all my life. The two I have now are my black springador gundogs. They are massively obediant. They have to be. If I tell them to sit and stay they would sit there until it went dark and then some. How is this ? By spending hours and hours and hours with them. Praise is what they love. Never hit a dog. That will have the opposite effect. They know the difference between work and play though. Just ask Wise Owl how my eldest dog retrieves an item out of our local canal. Its a sight to see.

Tuppence is real good on recall etc for a terrier dog,

but there is no way that Id not have him on a lead anywhere near a road,

cars can be fixed, broken hearts cant

grey

Site Supporter
The law says you’ve to hit an animal as avoiding it could cost a human life
My dad in the 80’s hit a lamppost and was avoiding a dog, he was told he should have hit it as the lamppost could have been a person.
Think that only applies to wild animals, dogs and livestock are different as they have a working value they're considered as property.

I'm sure you're supposed to report a dog (or livestock) been run over (or at least it used to be the case) though I expect people rarely do.

Having said that, legally it is the owners responsibility to keep control of the dog: they are responsible for any vet bills, and they are responsible for the repair bills for your car too!

Well done in keeping your head Dave, it's important the dog is given priority before the finger-pointing and accusations start. Glad the dog's okay!

tee.bee

Site Supporter
Run over a dog before christmas and i still think about it now the dog ran out of a park in to my car.Always think if i was two seconds later.It was dark at the time so i never seen any damage the next day i could see smashed inner wing smashed fog light and bumper brackets should always keep dogs on leads near roads i do.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Tuppence is real good on recall etc for a terrier dog,

but there is no way that Id not have him on a lead anywhere near a road,

cars can be fixed, broken hearts cant
I had a terrier before these two Mick. Talk about head strong. I don’t know who was the boss. Me or him. Him I think. He was well trained and knew every command but, it was always him that decided to obey or not. I think his reasoning was .... who picks who’s poo up ? Not me is it ? Therefore .... who do you think is the boss ? ???

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well here we go, spoke to the dog's owner earlier today, they aren't insured, I offered them the option of paying our excess on the policy (£200) as we were to go through the insurer for the repair, to which they agreed to pay.

Then got a message asking for photos of the damage to which were sent, payment offered sometime this afternoon via bank transfer.

Then another message saying they respectfully decline the offer to pay the excess and have we any photos of the damage at the scene of the accident.

I've told them the insurers will be notified and I will pursue them for the excess

....Small Claims Court here we come

Why are people such pillocks?