Running a Dog over

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Earlier this afternoon whilst out with my missus, we had the misfortune of hitting a dog that ran across the road from the local park. A medium-sized Spaniel that the owners had only recently got and for some reason trusted it near a main road off it's lead. It had seen a Squirrel by all accounts.
Anyway, the fault was entirely that of the owners, my missus who was driving never got the chance to brake, hit it with the OSF corner of the car, and luckily it went under the car and out the rear without being run over by the wheels.

My missus was obviously upset, the owners were screaming we should have stopped, my main concern was the dog which was semi-conscious and bleeding slightly from the mouth, but no external physical injuries.
I got the dog to the side of the road and called the emergency vets whilst telling the woman owner to shut up and think of the dog, covered the dog up and immobilised it, explained the situation to the vet and passed my phone over to the owner who'd calmed down some.

Arrangements made to take the dog to the vets, the bloke owner got his car and I lifted the dog into it which by now was more alert but obviously shocked and in pain. They had satnav so bid them good luck and off they went.
My missus was okay just shocked as she'd never hit anything before and it all happened so quickly and out of the blue.

Once we got home I looked at the front of the car and there's a fair bit of damage to the underside of the bumper, plastic wheel arch inner, underskirt and parking sensor. Nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of care, a glue gun and some pop-rivets if need be.
Anyroad, I gave it half an hour longer and called the vets, they were there by then, and asked the receptionist if she could tactfully enquire to see if the owners/dog was insured. If not the instruction was to leave it at that and we'll sort it out at this end. It turns out they think they are so name and number has been passed to me and I said I'll call her tomorrow - now's not the time really.

The damage is immaterial really, what annoys me more than anything else are dog owners who credit their dogs with the same level of intelligence and road awareness as themselves, or maybe not re the intelligence factor. All my dogs, past and present, have been trained with road sense, they're trained to halt on command no matter what they're chasing. and even so, I would never let any of them off the lead near a main road, any road for that matter.
Why do people do it?

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
So how’s the dog?
And I understand your anger at the owners.

Silver fan 82

Hope you and the wife are ok mate?
Totally their fault, the dog should have been on a lead. Simple as that mate :)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The missus is fine, just shocked, I'm fine, not a lot phases me tbh. As for the dog I suppose I'll find out tomorrow the extent of it's injuries. The problem with dogs is they don't show pain like we do and can't tell you where it hurts, so if the injuries are not evident they can be internal.

TBH I'm not angry at the owners, more annoyed. As a dog owner most of my life I've seen more than my fair share of owners who's only ability to own a dog is the fact that they can.

Silver fan 82

The missus is fine, just shocked, I'm fine, not a lot phases me tbh. As for the dog I suppose I'll find out tomorrow the extent of it's injuries. The problem with dogs is they don't show pain like we do and can't tell you where it hurts, so if the injuries are not evident they can be internal.

TBH I'm not angry at the owners, more annoyed. As a dog owner most of my life I've seen more than my fair share of owners who's only ability to own a dog is the fact that they can.
Yeah, they should have taken more care mate. Hopefully the dog will be ok too.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Boils my wee when I see dogs off the lead near a road. But still see loads do it. Obviously they think there dog is well trained but only takes a car back firing. A cat running out. Why take the risk.
Ps hope dogs ok but the damage it caused to car suggests otherwise.
Pps. Hope wife’s and car are ok.

CarpCatcher86

I hope you the mrs and the dog are ok mate. It's not a nice thing to happen but it is yet another situation caused by idiots that could easily be avoided. It takes more than buying a dog to be a dog owner. The same goes for idiots that think buying a load of fishing gear turns them in to an ace fisherman.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Glad both you, your wife and hopefully the dog are all OK.
Horrible when it happens. I was a passenger in a mates car when a dog appeared from through a hedge, straight in front of him.
No chance of missing it and unfortunately it died immediately, as it went under the from wheel. Owners were traced and he reported the accident to the police. The problem was the car was a BMW with quite extensive body mods. Bodywork repairs came to over £3,000. The owners/dog had no insurance and John was out three grand. I think some agreement was made, but not sure what.

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
I’ve owned and trained spaniels for many years, they are faithful to a fault and love nothing more than pleasing their owner. Mine have all been trained to work with guns and raptors and there’s not one of them that I wouldn’t trust to do as they’re told in any given situation. They didn’t come into contact with pavements and roads often but when they did they were always on leads. All a spaniel, or any dog really, needs to see is something to chase and, if they’re not working, they’re off and no amount of shouting at them will stop them.

completely the owners fault, hopefully you are all recovered and the insurance sorts the car out. Some people shouldn’t have charge of a dog, sadly!

CarpCatcher86

I’ve owned and trained spaniels for many years, they are faithful to a fault and love nothing more than pleasing their owner. Mine have all been trained to work with guns and raptors and there’s not one of them that I wouldn’t trust to do as they’re told in any given situation. They didn’t come into contact with pavements and roads often but when they did they were always on leads. All a spaniel, or any dog really, needs to see is something to chase and, if they’re not working, they’re off and no amount of shouting at them will stop them.

completely the owners fault, hopefully you are all recovered and the insurance sorts the car out. Some people shouldn’t have charge of a dog, sadly!
You must hate your dogs if you have them working with dinosaurs.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
When I was truck driving in the late seventies I was driving through Orpington on a dual carriageway speed limit 40mph. A bright spark had a great dance off its lead and the dam thing ran out into the road yards in front of me, I had no time to brake but then have you tried stopping 32ton of loaded artic in a matter of yards.

The owner called the police and blamed me, no sense in calling a vet, the dog was in a couple of pieces.

After giving me statement I was left to get on my way and the dogs owner was given a rollicking, he could have been charged but the cops felt sorry for him.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
The law says you’ve to hit an animal as avoiding it could cost a human life
My dad in the 80’s hit a lamppost and was avoiding a dog, he was told he should have hit it as the lamppost could have been a person.

Chervil

Site Supporter
BTW... have you reported the accident to the police? I believe hitting a dog in a vehicle is a reportable incident.

Section 170 of the road Traffic Act. As long as Dave and his good lady have stopped and given their details (owner/driver) and the registration number of the vehicle, then they have complied with the Act.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thanks, will do that tomorrow when I phone the owner and hopefully get their insurance details