Not open for further replies.

Ian White

Big E
Hi Guys
ON the weekend i am fishing a lake ive never been before in a match
So to make sure of there rules i rang them
2 Keepnets i understand
Brabless hooks i understand
But groundbait to be used in a feeder only i dont understand there's nothing to stop you casting at the same place all the match witch i think you end up with the same a big pile of groundbait in the lake,
Any way have anyone come across any rules that they dont understand.
ALL THE BEST
Ian White

martin.

Account Locked
yes most of them

tight lines.
martin.

talk fishing flip football

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
yes why have a closed season the fish don`t know the dates......Haydn

Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints.

brady

yeah no slapping the water with your pole .moorlands i think ?

norm

i agree with ground bait in feeder or pole cup only

you can put a bag of ground bait in ,in one go if you use a pole cup the size of teepee`s but you can not through a tiny little ball in (i will never understand that rule)

no slapping the pole on the water (who the hell thought of that one)

no floating pole ?(why)

no floating baits ? (why)

i think some rules are made up by stupid people (LOL)

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
This I am assured is true its a commercial fisherie. No loose feeding of wait for it you wont believe me
?
?
?
?
maggots.

chill out go fishing

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
hmm i know that fishery John [;)]

Norm

When you consider the length of some poles & how far out they would go if you floated them i believe the "no floating pole" rule is a just & fair one
What happens if someone hooks a decent fish that gives a screaming run but happens to jump or "tail walk" just as it gets close to your pole?? its going to end up wrapped around the pole which means either the person who's playing the fish will lose it OR you lose a few sections of pole with either the chance of it sinking or it just breaking up.

No Floating baits,

Again a rule i see as a good one, having seen some idiots floating bread/dog biscuit & striking into a fish the second their bait goes under i feel banning this method is for the fish's care.

I've seen carp with no "lips" due to someone striking while using a floating bait, sorry but a fish will hook itself on a floater & anyone who strikes into a fish when floater fishing obviously doesn't know what they're doing.

I've also seen carp with their mouths fastened shut because someone who didn't know how to hook a floater properly had used a ..............................treble hook & obviously pushed it through the whole slice of bread instead of trying to balance the setup.

Some of the rules are there for the fish others are there to make life difficult or even worse to just make money!!

Alan

There's a monster outside my window..can i have a glass of water?

Last edited:

Lid

That's an interesting point about floating baits Trogg. I used to fish floating crust for carp and chub in the 70's and I always struck. Never had a problem with pulling out and never felt that the fish would hook themselves, particularly the chub!

Do commercial carp feed differently to my carp?

Lid [:)]

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I find that I have to strike at takes to. At least it takes up any slack line when fishing at any sort of distance.

chill out go fishing

norm

yes if i dont stike then very rearly do i hook a fish on floating bait

i like rules that help fish

i do not like rules that stop people from catching

because as soon as someone comes with with a new way of catching sooner or later it will be banned

Simon R

Site Supporter
I agree with you 100% Norm

For instance at The Oaks at Sessay the killing method a couple of years ago was just to lower a piece of bread onto the waters surface beneath a pole (not floating the pole or anything like that). The guy organising the matches on there didn't like it (for what reason I don't know) so it was banned.

At Woodlands everyone was catching on catmeat - again the match organisers didn't like it, so it was banned.

It seems to be as though anything that stops the venue regulars picking up money is banned - or am I just being a little cynical?

Personally I stick to venues where I can please myself what methods or baits I can use
Renny Lake - only bans are barbed hooks and loose-fed groundbait
Carpvale - only ban is braided line as hooklengths
Brafferton Lakes - same bans as Renny

Ian's original point re groundbait by feeder only is a good one though - I suppose when you think about it, if everyone on the lake uses a large feeder for the full five hours of a match, you could end up with one hell of a lot of groundbait going into the water.

It would never happen of course, if you're getting bites the fish are obviously eating the groundbait and if you're not you wouldn't keep casting a feeder full of bait into the same spot.

As for not striking at takes on floating bait, I must admit I always do - maybe the carp down south are easier to catch than the ones up here[:p]

Tight Lines

Simon

Simon R

Site Supporter
Ooops [:I]- how'd I manage to post the same message twice?

Simon

Last edited:

baz.thornton

How about this one from Hallcroft Lakes near Retford - Lunceon meat to be cube shaped only !!!

Caught on a Pork Chop on a 22

Simon R

Site Supporter
Baz - you gotta be joking

Whats the thinking behind that?

Simon

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Whiteacres have banned cat meat cos of the fat content, but I get the feeling that luncheon meat and bacon grill, which is still permitted contains more fat.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Trout pellets are banned on a lot of waters because of there high oil content. Halibet pellets on the other hand are not. Strange ? Halibut pellets contain more oil than trout pellets.

chill out go fishing

MALC

Here's some of the Rules/Bans i've encountered on Commercials over the last few years.

Who or What are they in place for.!!!!

No Keepnets..EXCEPT IN MATCHES.
Bait only bought on site to be used.
No Pole's.
No Rod's.
No bait to be fed by hand.
No artificial coloured or flavoured baits including maggots.
No Bread.
No Bloodworm & Joker.
No Splashing Pole's.
No tipping contents from pole pots above surface.
No pouring water or flavours from pole pots.
No Water guns.
No groundbait (including leam and soil)
Luncheon meat only cubed in 1/4 in No Bigger or Smaller.
No Luncheon meat
No Catmeat
No Corn
No Paste but Boiles allowed.
No Boiles but Paste allowed.
Catmeat only allowed on the hook (not fed).
Corn only allowed on the hook (not fed).
Groundbait in pole pot or feeder only.
Groundbait to be thrown in by hand only.

There are a lot more i've come across but i'm getting bored now.

Regards only feeding groundbait via pole cup the following is how i got round that a few years back.

Take a 4ltr plastic juice bottle..
Cut the narrow neck off which leave's a 14inch high container..
Wrap a fair bit of tape around top edge..
Put 2 small holes below top lip..
Poke pole tip in hole's..
And there you have a POLE POT that will carry 3kgs of groundbait.[:D]
You do have to float the pot out though.[;)][;)]

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Simon R

Site Supporter
Malc

Try using the bottom of a 6 pint milk container, its wider and flatter than a pop bottle and doesn't wobble about as much when you float it out.

As regards Geoff's point about cat-meat, I read somewhere at the weekend that cat/dog food had a better balance of vitamins and proteins than the average human eats - so it can't be that bad for fish!

Tight Lines

Simon

MALC

I can vouch for the taste of both Cat and Dog meat and they ain't that bad..[;)][;)]

Luncheon Meat and Bacon Grill contains between 15% and 30% Fat
Cat meat contains between 5% & 10% Fat

Which as geoff says makes it bit of a joke when Catmeat is banned due to high fat content.

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Ian C

quote:Originally posted by esox.20

Trout pellets are banned on a lot of waters because of there high oil content. Halibet pellets on the other hand are not. Strange ? Halibut pellets contain more oil than trout pellets.

On a similar theme, a fishing partner of mine told me that on a certain water trout pellets were banned, but carp pellets were allowed. He took both trout pellets re-bagged and labelled as carp pellets, and proper carp pellets...
When asked, the ballifs could not tell the difference!

Moral: If your gonna have a ban, ensure you can enforce it properly first [:D]

Ian C

Status
Not open for further replies.