Rules

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
So, Zerks post got me thinking about rules.

What is the daftest rule you have seen at a fishery or in a club etc?

I like rules to have some sort of clear foundation to them, so you can see what its intention is-usually to protect fish, assist in the anglers welfare/enjoyment, protection of the venue, etc etc.

Rules that have little obvious aim or ones that are so loosely worded and aren't clear or lead to inconsistent application are things i struggle with. Certainly too when the rule is clear enough but it becomes 'who you are' application, gets me the most.

Do some anglers end up spoiling it for others when they try and find a way around a rule or a loophole in it to gain advantage say match wise.

JLK

Only one springs to mind and that's Ukzeros club lakes rule book. There are that many rules to follow, you can spend five hours double checking if you are breaking one before you cast a line. ???

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
The rule that made me laugh most was at Selby 3 Lakes some years ago. The actual rule was written as 'No bent hooks'. Still chuckling to myself, I asked the bailiff at the time about it. It transpired that the rule meant no offset hooks. Why they didn't put that in the first place is beyond me.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Only one springs to mind and that's Ukzeros club lakes rule book. There are that many rules to follow, you can spend five hours double checking if you are breaking one before you cast a line. ???

And I've still got 2 blank pages in my book to add more. :devilish: :p

To be fair, there isn't that many, but it's beyond belief how many members, even of long standing, can't or don't abide by them. I had to revoke a members book 2 weeks ago after several warnings for blatantly fishing with 2 rods out while fishing the pole. He'd been a member for 10 years. Ours is a one rod only fishery.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hawkhurst fish farm has some strange rules that I have never really understood why they have them being as the majority of match venues in the area are completely at odds with some of them

that being said, even with these, large catches are often made in matches

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
So, Zerks post got me thinking about rules.

What is the daftest rule you have seen at a fishery or in a club etc?

I like rules to have some sort of clear foundation to them, so you can see what its intention is-usually to protect fish, assist in the anglers welfare/enjoyment, protection of the venue, etc etc.

Rules that have little obvious aim or ones that are so loosely worded and aren't clear or lead to inconsistent application are things i struggle with. Certainly too when the rule is clear enough but it becomes 'who you are' application, gets me the most.

Do some anglers end up spoiling it for others when they try and find a way around a rule or a loophole in it to gain advantage say match wise.
NO FISHING! ?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
One fishery I have fished "No dead maggots".

And I can't remember the fishery but part of the bait rules included a max or min size of meat cube. That wasn't a problem, but they gave the size in both metric and imperial measurements that didn't match. I seem to recall it was something like 1/4 inch or 12mm (actually equates to 1/2 inch).

squimp

Site Supporter
The rule that made me laugh most was at Selby 3 Lakes some years ago. The actual rule was written as 'No bent hooks'. Still chuckling to myself, I asked the bailiff at the time about it. It transpired that the rule meant no offset hooks. Why they didn't put that in the first place is beyond me.
Even the baliff doesn’t understand his own rules !

The ‘bent’ hook was a specific carp rig that involved a hook with an extra 20-30 degree bent in the shank. It wasn’t a lateral bend (offset). It actually tipped the eye in towards the point. Partridge and one or two others made these hooks.

It was remarkably effective BUT it damaged the fish as it tended to double hook them - which made getting the hooks out really tricky (wire cutters anybody). That is why it got banned.

most specimen carp waters now ban bent hooks. Happily they are hard to find these days. Instead we use curved shank hooks, shank extensions, line aligners etc instead. They work and don’t hurt the fish.

If fisheries have bailiffs who don’t understand their own rules we might as well all go home.

worst rule application I have come across was a carp water with strict hook and rig rules (no problem). I went there as a guest and my pal and I Got a Swim with an island in front of it. We cast out 90 odd yards under the bushes on the island (still no problem). Half an hour after it got dark the bailiff came round and asked us to wind in for a rig check ! Big problem as it was a deliberate effort to sabotage our night’s fishing.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I often find many of the strangest and most nonsensical rules (usually on commercials) occur when the match anglers protest about something.
Most commercials usually have their own small clique of venue regulars who rarely fish anywhere else or with anybody new and expect to pick up a regular supply of little brown envelopes. Along comes a new angler who starts to fish the opens and wins more than his fair share - the regulars find out what his 'secret' is - could be fishing paste or cat-meat or maybe using a longer pole than everyone else. After possibly a couple of unsuccessful attempts at copying what he's doing the regulars go whinging to the fishery owner demanding the immediate banning of a bait or a method of fishing or else they'll go and fish elsewhere. The venue owner worried that the nice, regular income that the match anglers bring in (especially in the winter) will vanish gives in to their demands and another banned bait /method gets added to the list of rules.

I've seen this happen at two fisheries not a million miles away from here - doesn't really bother me as I don't fish either of them anyway.

Many fisheries are owned by farmers or landowners who may know very little about fishing and therefore when the venue first opens the list of rules is very short. Three local fisheries don't hold opens (just club matches or one-off events) and the list of rules has remained very short, three others of a similar age hold regular opens and their lists of rules can take ten minutes to read. That's not, in my opinion, a coincidence.

I can't remember where it was but I'm sure there was a fishery that banned wagglers in excess of a certain diameter.

Simon

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Moorlands once had a rule (perhaps still do); No washing out of pole cups in the swim. Also : No Tapping.

It was meant to prevent anglers hitting the surface with their tip, or cup, to attract fish. I can only assume that the fishery wanted to sell as many pellets as possible.

On the same fishery, in a Vets National, the rule was: No dampening of pellets. Now that was ridiculous, and every angler I spoke to afterwards had
dampened theirs, because if you didn't they floated! Presumably they got a big load of rubbish pellets cheap and hadn't tried them.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Even the baliff doesn’t understand his own rules !

The ‘bent’ hook was a specific carp rig that involved a hook with an extra 20-30 degree bent in the shank. It wasn’t a lateral bend (offset). It actually tipped the eye in towards the point. Partridge and one or two others made these hooks.

It was remarkably effective BUT it damaged the fish as it tended to double hook them - which made getting the hooks out really tricky (wire cutters anybody). That is why it got banned.

most specimen carp waters now ban bent hooks. Happily they are hard to find these days. Instead we use curved shank hooks, shank extensions, line aligners etc instead. They work and don’t hurt the fish.

If fisheries have bailiffs who don’t understand their own rules we might as well all go home.

worst rule application I have come across was a carp water with strict hook and rig rules (no problem). I went there as a guest and my pal and I Got a Swim with an island in front of it. We cast out 90 odd yards under the bushes on the island (still no problem). Half an hour after it got dark the bailiff came round and asked us to wind in for a rig check ! Big problem as it was a deliberate effort to sabotage our night’s fishing.

Yes, I know what it is, but the first thing I asked the bailiff (after chuckling away to myself) was..If you can't fish with a bent hook, what chance is there of catching using a straight one? He just stood there, palm of hand to face, shaking his head.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's not a stupid rule per se, actually quite a usual one... all nets must be dipped... but then not a net dip in sight!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Yes, I know what it is, but the first thing I asked the bailiff (after chuckling away to myself) was..If you can't fish with a bent hook, what chance is there of catching using a straight one? He just stood there, palm of hand to face, shaking his head.
Pretty much what every bailiff does on encountering you and Sly. ??

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
At millionaire Micks it says ‘ no Tippex ‘. Not knowing what this meant I enquired and apparently the match boys had been tippexing their hook pellets white. ?

Sly’s favourite on this fishery is ‘ NO PARKING ON THE GRASS ‘. ????

ukzero1

Site Supporter
On our second visit to Messingham, the bailiff did say...Oh no, not you two again. I don't know why he said that, we were just 2 blokes having a day on the bank.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
On our second visit to Messingham, the bailiff did say...Oh no, not you two again. I don't know why he said that, we were just 2 blokes having a day on the bank.
Yeah right. He’s not been seen since. ??

smiffy

Site Supporter
Barfords old rules,don’t know if they still apply, being allowed to feed pellet but not being allowed to fish pellet on the hook. Leading to the punched, dyed potato method. Any ban imposed by the match organiser and his cronies because he can’t do it or hasn’t got the gear to do it. Bloodworm bans (see previous sentence?)