Rugby x

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Anybody watch it, what did you think?
I enjoyed it even if i can't really class it as real rugby but them lasses can seriously play....and the yanks sulk just as much as their male counterparts do :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

TonyA

Site Supporter
I watched. Nothing I've not used in training but as a regular offering, I'm not sure. I suppose if it becomes big it might bring more to rugby. Early days yet.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Seemed a combination of quite fun but a bit daft to me. Tbh I’m not a big fan of 7s as it’s almost too easy to score so it becomes a bit like a high scoring American sport to me so I see rugby x in a similar light. If they make it a bit of a day out like 7s can be I wouldn’t be against the idea though.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I agree it was enjoyable to watch and good for training purposes but i wouldn't suggest it as a serious contender for a mass fanbase, as @Silverfisher has said it is an American high scoring type game which is, in my opinion the whole idea of it.

I've seen from a couple of FB posts (and instagram) some Americans still haven't quite grasped the fact that Rugby has been around for a lot longer than their "football" has so hopefully something like this which i believe is aimed at the american market to be honest may bring some more of them into the fold.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I haven't see it Trogg, but from reading up, it's the brainchild of Ben Ryan who coached Fiji Sevens to Olympic Gold. The game is aimed at getting younger players into the game, as it doesn't take as long to learn all that's required as the full 15 a side game or as tiring as seven a side which is played on a full size pitch.. Hopefully it will spark some interest and draw younger players in, especially should (when) England win the World Cup on Saturday, the interest in rugby will spike and hopefully clubs might give it a trial to get younger players playing at least a form of rugby, that they can progress from to the 15 a side game.