Rugby World Cup 2019

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Well what a turn up, Japan beating Ireland 19-12 this world cup is hotting up. I do think the team that wanted it more won. Hats off to Japan they deserved the win.

Scribe

Site Supporter
I don't think Ireland thought they could lose it, they did looked a bit lethargic and couldn't put phases together. It's no fluke win either Japan had 60 % possession in the first half and their defence was very impressive.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Loved every minute of that and it justifies what World Rugby and the Southern Hemisphere Super 14s have done to develop the game.
Beating SA four years ago could have been looked at as being a fluke,now it looks like something better than that.

TonyA

Site Supporter
And if Japan's hands had been better, even more. Their work rate was massive, what a tempo!

davylad

Site Supporter
I've been watching the WC, and must admit I'm not an expert on the rules of the Union game. Can someone explain to me why I see so many fumbles (knock on's to me) when the acting half is picking the ball up from a ruck? The other query is, does it matter if the ball carrying arm hits the ground, then a second movement scores a try? Oh and well done Wales, great win and a super show of resilience in that second half, to beat the moaning aussies.

Scribe

Site Supporter
@davylad I don't know if you watched the game between New Zealand & Australia, but there were a lot of poor passes, dropped & knocked on incidents. I would say that the All Blacks have the best handling skills on the planet, closely followed by Australia I think they maybe born with a rugby ball in their hands. So what could have caused so many handling errors, nerves at the big occasion/important match for both sides ? Somehow I don't think so, there was an awful lot of experience on both sides capable of coping with the 'big event.' I think the problem lies in the humidity in Japan causing sweaty hands, you only have to look at the rivers of perspiration running off the players to see the effect. Sweat in players eyes will also cause issues. One reason I hated playing in August on hot sunny days, it is very energy sapping.

The Double Movement law is very contentious,

Basically a player off his feet must immediately either place the ball, pass the ball or release the ball. They are free to get up and play the ball.
Often when a player has been tackled close to the try line, they will often attempt to make another movement to ground the ball for the try. However, if they have been tackled, the referee will not award the try, because it is seen as a double movement. The ball and the player have been grounded before the second movement for the try.

However, if the player is in the process of being tackled and the ball has not been grounded before the try line, then they can make a second movement for the line and score.

davylad

Site Supporter
Thanks for that Scribe, but even if the conditions are bad, that shouldn't excuse a knock on. What I was asking regarding this point is, "are you allowed to fumble the ball before you pass it from a ruck, what I would call the acting half position"? I see it so many times in Union, I thought maybe because it's a bit messy with all the bodies about, the refs turn a bling eye.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Japan were the better team on the day and deserved their win. I could make all sorts of excuses such as the heat and sweaty hands etc. but it would be unsporting to do so. So fair play to Japan, they played better rugby and I wish them luck in the rest of the tournament.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Think quite a lot of the handling errors in this tournament have been down to the sweaty ball as the handling error stats are way up normal levels. You can fumble it at the ruck as long as it doesn't go forward, usually results from the 9 not paying attention properly as much as anything or a stray arm or leg in the pile up getting in the way.

Scribe

Site Supporter
@davylad are you talking about where the normally No 9 Scrum Half, drops the ball and it hits the ground, or where the scrum half picks the ball out and juggles it without it hitting the ground ? Normally if the scrum half drops the ball at the base of a ruck it's due to a counter rucking move from the opposition shunting a player against the scrum half causing them to drop the ball.

Scribe

Site Supporter
What does drive me nuts is the fact that no scrum half's put the ball into the scrum straight anymore, i.e. down the middle of the tunnel formed between the two opposing front rows. They all seem to be fed behind the props feet,, when I played the hooker could contest for the ball by striking for it in the scrum, Nowadays this law is being ignored, seemingly because it's safer for all front row players to have all their feet on the ground. However this bending of the rules doesn't give the opportunity to drive a scrum off an opposition put in ball. This has changed the emphasis at scrums, in that the only way to compete at the scrum is to attempt to get a penalty, It won't be long before the Union scrum becomes un-contested and therefore without purpose. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Talking of 9s is anyone else baffled by the inclusion of heinz as reserve 9 over either of the Saracens 9s? Just don't get how they pick a bloke who's in his 30s with very little English experience let alone caps over either of the guys that distribute for probably the best club side in the world, one with over 15 years of club and 10 years of international experience and one who's at a perfect age to come in a learn the international game. Given that the 2, 8 and 10 are all sarries as well would surely give further support for them given they are key positions for the 9 to be in tune with. Obviously youngs is first choice but to me Heinz should only have been considered as reserve 9 if cipriani was reserve 10.

Scribe

Site Supporter
@Silverfisher Me, I am baffled although I think with eddie Jones it's a case of if your face fits or not, just look at Tom Youngs exit from the England squad when Jones took over.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Odd with wigglesworth given that Jones was quite into him until fairly recently but guess he may be of the opinion that his legs have gone now. Think spencer should be there as he's probably the best passer and defender after youngs and although his kickings not quite there yet he's pretty quick which you want off the bench. Being 4 years younger than youngs as well is ideal as well as realistically youngs isn't going to make the next World Cup so we should have younger reserve for future planning like every other team does.

Scribe

Site Supporter
One thing you may not have considered Silverfisher is, what's the chances of Eddie Jones being around for the next world cup ? He does strike me as it's all about the next game and nothing else.

PAB

Site Supporter
I think the coverage is exceptionally poor now't but rubbish on all night why not show the days games in full on one of the many free to view channels if it was girl's football it would be all over the tv.

davylad

Site Supporter
Normally if the scrum half drops the ball at the base of a ruck it's due to a counter rucking move from the opposition shunting a player against the scrum half causing them to drop the ball.

That one Scribe.

Union could learn a lot from the League game, regarding scrums. :upthumb: :D