Rubbish in rivers??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mookie

mookie
Hi All -- Some of you via hotmail etc will know of my campaign to clear up my local River Skerne < Darlington>...l have been by the river most days feeding the chub on bread crust off the top...but l have found 28 roadside cones in the river plus men at work sighs, old batteries....even a armchair.....this river is only 3ft deep at its deepest and its acually quite full of fish chub, dace odd trout l think...plus gudgeon....and the locals have said pike as well.....l have emailed the EA about this problem and today got a phone call from regional office in York, they said they have come and seen the rubbish but cannot do anything due to the fact its up to the local council to remove it.....so the thing is What does the EA stand for?? if it wouldnt help out with this situation....!!!!!!
Also there is a strong head of bank voles along this river, which l think are protected....surely someone out there would help with this predicament????

Anyway lads and lasses .....keep the faith go maggotdrowningicon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gif

Founder of B.L.C.F.L campaign.....Ban license cheats for life....

MOOK

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Mookie,
Answer me this?
If the money from the licence fee goes to the EA?
And the EA dont support you in your campaign to improve your river?
Or support Cyp,who suffers wanton Fish kills through inept policies!
WTF, do you devote so much time to collect the licence fee off the cheats?

Just an observation and in truth, wish you lived near me/( I you,) as I would gladly help to protect our river!

Trev
founder member of Get Over To Clean His and (Gotcha) Clean Your Precious Rivers in North, its due SOON (Cyprinids)

Seriously, if you or I polluted the rivers, we would get sued by EA and fined cost of clearing up!
If Council are responsible for clearing up and forgo their duty, Why are we paying rates/Council Tax? and /or Why are we paying licence fees to a body that won't use them to sue the negligent Council?

Good Luck Mookie and keep highlighting the problems! Nothing will change if no-one is aware.

Trev

Ziptrev pug.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Mook,
You've got mail!

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

MALC

Mookie

Something simular was going on years ago in the days of the NRA when i lived in Reading.

The club i fished with then had a 2 mile section on an off shoot of the River Kennet that ran at the back of a housing estate and we had sofa's,shopping trollies and just about everything else in the stretch.

The NRA were contacted and like you they said see the council who in turn said not us see the NRA.

It took months of phone calls and letters from the club secretary to both parties before we finally got the NRA and the council to assist us in the tidy up.
And what finaly made them help was the intervention of the local MP along with the 1000+ signiture pettition we got from every person that lived on the estate.

Since then i moved to Rugby.
And (wait for it) a few years ago the club i used to be the match secretary for in Rugby (that's got a 1mile section on the Upper Warwickshire Avon).
The section was and still is silted up and reed choked so i took it on my shoulders to try to get the powers that be to help us in some way with clearing the silt which in some places was up to 2ft deep and as the stretch was in some places only inches deep due to the silt we thought that they would help but again all the relevent bodies wanted nothing to do with it.

I spent month's and 's on phone calls and letters to every department and also contacted various wildlife organisations but all was fruitless and in the end it was us the members with buckets and shovels that tried to remove the silt by hand but with very limited success and still even now the secretary of the club is trying to get some sort of help but it is not forth coming.

So as already mentioned it realy make's you wonder why we pay c/tax and rod licence fees as when we the normal angler try to get what we think we are paying for (a little help) it is not forth coming.

Unless of course you say that Salmon are in the water then you would get every bit of help and more !!!!!!

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com bounce.gif

mookie

mookie
icon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gif Thanks Malc and Trev for your loyal support and helpful advice, last night l emailed my council and English Nature to see if anything happens.....no replies as yet but still hopeful....

Got your mail Pete thanks alot, it seems its everywhere this rubbish and neglect and no one gives a damn.......

Cheers lads
I will keepicon_smile_big.gifdue to the fact l have friends out there in md land..who share the same opinions and hopefully try to get things done....
Keep the faith go maggotdrowning icon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gif

MOOK Founder of B.L.C.F.L campaign....Ban license cheats for life [:
(!]

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I went to the River Sow this morning to get some pics of the state of it.

During the closed season the river becomes staffords biggest tip.

BUT it would seem that my letter of complaint to the EA & the local council has worked wonders.

All the rubbish has now miraculously dissapered.

Before the EA came into being the sow was what most would class as a dead river, i'm sorry but i can't blast them for anything because the river is now full of life, if you just sit on the bank & watch the water as it flows by, you can see nay feel the life force thats flowing along with it.

Mooks i am truly sorry to hear of your rivers problems & would suggest organising a clean up campaign (if i wasn't so far away mate i'd be first in the cue) make up some posters & put them in the local tackle shops you'll only need a few guys to say yes, then contact the local papers & the council telling them of your plans ask the council to provide you with a skip (or ask a local sip hire company to "donate" one for the day (good advertising for them).

When the local paper(s) arrive explain that you're doing it not only for fishing but for the wildlife etc as well (this will help make the anti's look bad, when was the last time they organised a clean up??)

Hope this helps you a bit mate & good luck with your "crusade"

BTW i agree with the BLCFL idea but i would also suggest confiscating their tackle, selling it & the proceeds should go to the EA.

Alan
You've just been moderated

mookie

mookie
icon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gif Cheers Trogg matey...good to hear from you thought you had deserted the ship there for a while.....

Thanks for the advice,will try and get something up and running....

Cheers mate and good luck for the coming season....look forward to meeting ya at Elvington .....

MOOK

Cyprinid_boy

quote: Seriously, if you or I polluted the rivers, we would get sued by EA and fined cost of clearing up

You really think so Trev?? Look at the statistics - the amount of succesfull prosecutions regarding river pollution is minimal.

quote: Before the EA came into being the sow was what most would class as a dead river, i'm sorry but i can't blast them for anything because the river is now full of life,

i am not a terminal hater of the Ea Trogg, and any clean up campaign should be hailed as a success. Can you tell us what was done, practically, and what was set, with regards legislation, to save your river. I think it would help these chaps to know when they write their letters. Might give some heart.

quote: i would also suggest confiscating their tackle, selling it & the proceeds should go to the EA.

Sure you don't work for the EA Trogg?

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Yeah Cyp, in hindsight I think you're right!

If they won't prosecute the out of season Zander killer, I could probably get away with filling the Trent with Supermarket Trolleys!

More likely to be sued by the ACA!

What in hell is the license money for?
The annual magazine?

I would like to know too, how much money they take on all those 0906 River Call adverts at 1 per min!
I'm stupid enough to use it!

Ah Well, Keep trying!

Trev

Ziptrev pug.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you're so bothered about where the money you pay to the EA goes why don't you ask your local MPs after all its the goverment who say how much has to be spent on trout & salmon fisheries etc.

As for the work done on the Sow where do i start......

The first job was to turn the marshes into a nature reserve Then booms were placed across the river so any floating debris was caught up.

The river had god knows how many test etc done to the water & soil.
Unfortunetly this was all done when the EA first came into being so i wasn't really that interested back then but everyone noticed the difference in the river & the surrounding area.

Mook

To get back to the original thread mate are you a member of the RSSG?

If you are then i would seriously suggest contacting Lee (trent barbeller) he's not the kind of man to nit pick & won't take no for an answer, if anyone can get things moving Lee can.

The only other thing would be to pay a consultant to come & have a look with the hope they might be able to get someone to listen.

Then again as cyp said in one of his previous posts thats all the EA are so i suppose you could ask one of them to come along cos you sure as hell won't get a private consultant to do the job for 21.

If you need Lee's e-mail address let me know.

Alan

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:
Nice dig Trogg you sly bugger icon_smile_big.gif

Cyp
to be honest mate it wasn't intended as a dig but after reading again just now i do see your point.

My apologies if it insulted you in anyway.....then again maybe not icon_smile_wink.gif

Its good to see you've got a sense of humor mate

& now comes the bit i've been dreading <taking a VERY large deep breath> Dian & I went into town today to take a few pics of the Sow unfortunetly a certain richard cranium put the wrong batteries (flat ones) in the camera, the nice clean up job thats been done on the Sow wasn't due to anybodys letters its so the contractors can get in to destroy the bankside, they are putting in new "flood prevention" measures.

The area they are working on at the moment is (or was) a great chub stretch but i don't think it will be that way for a very long time now icon_smile_sad.gif

When i've got time to spare i'll get some pics so you can see what they're doing.

Cyp i'm blaming you for this cos untill we started "discussing" the merits of the EA i never had any reason to complain. icon_smile.gif

Alan

Cyprinid_boy

Lets hope it's not 'Land & Water' or 'Lee & Higgins' doing the contracting otherwise your river is in some real trouble. Let me add - In my opinion the River Don, especially the section between Doncaster and Rotherham is with out a doubt the dirtiest river i have ever seen.

Mat

Status
Not open for further replies.