rubbish estimating

Dusty

Fished a club match today and was convinced I had got my first ton in a match.
I’d clicked 47lb in my first net after about 3.5-4 hours then went for a second carp net.
I then clicked 50lb into the second net in the remaining time and even had to put 2 fish into my first net to save me getting another one (50lb limit + 10%).
Imagine my surprise when we weighed in and my keeptnets were 34lb and 38lb respectively. I was convinced I had enough for third place or better ?.

Think I need to go back to school.

Arch

Site Supporter
I'm the same. I fished a match at Lakeview last year, I clicked 7lb. I wasn't going to weigh in coz I hadn't done very well, but the scales came to me first. I weighed 18lb. :unsure::unsure:

I struggle to count how many I've caught as well.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I'm the same. I fished a match at Lakeview last year, I clicked 7lb. I wasn't going to weigh in coz I hadn't done very well, but the scales came to me first. I weighed 18lb. :unsure::unsure:

I struggle to count how many I've caught as well.

That's simply down to playing rugby for so many years Arch. :D

D

Deleted member 21081

Absolutely hopeless myself! My mate jokes at me because every carp I’ve ever caught has been about 4lb!!!!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm useless with Bream. I said today I had 3 slabs over 5lb each. That's probably give or take 1lb.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I'm reasonably ok at guessing with fairly chunky stout fish if that makes sense so I'm generally ok with most coarse fish. I struggle though to guess with the longer thinner fish like pike, trout, grayling, barbel etc

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Fished a match on Sunday, I was admitting to 240lb on the clicker and 5/6lb of Silvers, I was out, weight 258lb, so not too far.
Fished a match yesterday, when the guy with the scales came, he said you must have over 100lb, I looked at him a bit incredulous and said “48lb on my clicker and 2lb of silvers, so 50lb”. Put the carp on the scales 48.02 - must do better, Silvers on the scales 2lb. So 2oz out.

If anyone struggles with estimating carp weights, just learn some simple aids to fish weights. If a carp is over 3lb, I cannot put one hand over its ‘neck’ and pick it up, a 12lber is usually nose to tail the size of the landing net, etc. Obviously those are my own guidelines and you will have to set your own, depending on hand/landing net size etc.... ?

Dusty

Fished a match on Sunday, I was admitting to 240lb on the clicker and 5/6lb of Silvers, I was out, weight 258lb, so not too far.
Fished a match yesterday, when the guy with the scales came, he said you must have over 100lb, I looked at him a bit incredulous and said “48lb on my clicker and 2lb of silvers, so 50lb”. Put the carp on the scales 48.02 - must do better, Silvers on the scales 2lb. So 2oz out.

If anyone struggles with estimating carp weights, just learn some simple aids to fish weights. If a carp is over 3lb, I cannot put one hand over its ‘neck’ and pick it up, a 12lber is usually nose to tail the size of the landing net, etc. Obviously those are my own guidelines and you will have to set your own, depending on hand/landing net size etc.... ?

I’m not sure where I went wrong, I’m usually within 2-3lb per net.
Must have been a hole in my net.

Total

Site Supporter

Drawing arm starting to work better then? ;) :giggle:

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Drawing arm starting to work better then? ;) :giggle:
Not really, but some sense is coming back to it..... gone from not having a clue as to why I couldn't buy a bite, to understanding what I could/should have done to win, that's all you can ask, as once you are there, its down to you to work out a win from a frame or close to frame.

Total

Site Supporter
Not really, but some sense is coming back to it..... gone from not having a clue as to why I couldn't buy a bite, to understanding what I could/should have done to win, that's all you can ask, as once you are there, its down to you to work out a win from a frame or close to frame.

Totally agree with the above....Get to your peg, try to work it out, change if you have to, but don't over analyse it...... and enjoy it....

Last edited:

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Maesknoll, 240 lb estimated, and 256 lb actual is brilliant.

Anyone who reads my blog will know that I almost always underestimate - only once have I severely overestimated, and several other anglers did the same on that day. I once caught an estimated (estimated by the person running the fishery) 210 lb-plus, which would have been a water record. One net was over 50 lb, one over 60 lb and the last one not weighed as he reckoned there was at least 80 lb in it. I finished next to last with 61 lb.

Paul22

Ya it’s one thing I’m not too bad at.......
I estimated 4oz and weighed 4.5 oz ?
???

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
I always underestimate so on venues with net limits I try and put just over 2/3 of what I estimate.
my last 3 matches I thought I had 150 weighed 215 , 50 weighed 82 , 120 weighed 168