Royal Military Canal tips

Silver fan 82

Hi all,
Im planning on fishing the military canal at the Iden lock end in the next few weeks.
Ive not fished the canal at all yet so any advice would be great. Ill mainly be going after silvers, hopefully maybe a bonus Perch, bream or Tench?
Also does anyone have any knowledge of Potmans Heath channel on the rother?
Thanks in advance.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Bit far out for me, beeing I stick to the middle and eastern ends of the military but Knowing that stretch from a while back

most stretches along the road end from Appldore down to Iden lock near Rye

your looking at depths around 4 to 5 foot max

during the summer it is heavily weeded, making it hard to fish unless you drag it or find a previous dragged swim

plenty of good fish, theres untold decent bream, tench, large stock of roach with rudd to good sizes, perch and pike there are carp, but they are few, some going to good sizes

all baits work, maggot for anything, worm, corn, bread, pellet and boilies

parking along the roadside is not exactly prolific, on the verdge or where theres a turn in the canal theres often a good car space, a fence runs all the way along between the road and canal, there are stiles over the barbed wire for access, these are the spots that get fished the most

it is a club water there

Ive not fished Potmans heath, rather restricting my visits on the rother from Iden down to the lock, the match stretch

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Afternoon men, the stretch Mick refers to along the Appledore road seems to get less and less fished. There is a bridge halfway
along this road which leads to a couple of farm gates and all of a sudden a `no parking` sign appeared. Now when parking here
I have always left room and never been far away just in case the farmer would want to say bring a combine into the field.
Anyway I was having a recce here and spoke to a man leaning on one of said farm gates, he told me he was the farmer who owned
both these fields and the sign was nothing to do with him ??? Perhaps it is people who just don`t like anglers being mischievious.

Silver fan 82

Bit far out for me, beeing I stick to the middle and eastern ends of the military but Knowing that stretch from a while back

most stretches along the road end from Appldore down to Iden lock near Rye

your looking at depths around 4 to 5 foot max

during the summer it is heavily weeded, making it hard to fish unless you drag it or find a previous dragged swim

plenty of good fish, theres untold decent bream, tench, large stock of roach with rudd to good sizes, perch and pike there are carp, but they are few, some going to good sizes

all baits work, maggot for anything, worm, corn, bread, pellet and boilies

parking along the roadside is not exactly prolific, on the verdge or where theres a turn in the canal theres often a good car space, a fence runs all the way along between the road and canal, there are stiles over the barbed wire for access, these are the spots that get fished the most

it is a club water there

Ive not fished Potmans heath, rather restricting my visits on the rother from Iden down to the lock, the match stretch
Cheers for the info Mick. Recently joined one of the clubs that has access to this stretch, trying to get as much info as possible.

Silver fan 82

Afternoon men, the stretch Mick refers to along the Appledore road seems to get less and less fished. There is a bridge halfway
along this road which leads to a couple of farm gates and all of a sudden a `no parking` sign appeared. Now when parking here
I have always left room and never been far away just in case the farmer would want to say bring a combine into the field.
Anyway I was having a recce here and spoke to a man leaning on one of said farm gates, he told me he was the farmer who owned
both these fields and the sign was nothing to do with him ??? Perhaps it is people who just don`t like anglers being mischievious.
It does seem that parking is a bit of an issue along a lot of the rivers in the area. Wonder why this stretch isn't fished as much?

map

Neither of them really flow mate, unless the lock gates are open. On your club card - there should be a number for Chris Hitchens. He runs all the club matches. Give him a ring - he'll be able to give you all the info you need.

Silver fan 82

Neither of them really flow mate, unless the lock gates are open. On your club card - there should be a number for Chris Hitchens. He runs all the club matches. Give him a ring - he'll be able to give you all the info you need.
OK mate, thanks for that (y)

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter

the stretch that what was on the linton card, just up from appledores answer has a bridge on the lt over the canal that leads down to a potato sorting shed, you could at one time park just over the bridge here, but it got frowned on due to inconsiderate parking by some

the weed problems in the summer-early autumn are probably more to do with less guys fishing it nowadays, the cuts to the EA staff levels all along the canal cause it not to be cut as much as it was

if you head eastwards a bit, and get to giggers green, the start of the CPAS waters, it becomes deeper and has far less problems with the green stuff, this length through aldergate up to the dam at west hythe is the best fishing all year round on the military,

the lengths heading west from giggers are more winter-spring venues now

the drains on the pevensey levels are closer to you and provide good fishing, though dont fish em at night cos their haunted and full of bogie-men

Last edited:

Silver fan 82

the stretch that what was on the linton card, just up from appledores answer has a bridge on the lt over the canal that leads down to a potato sorting shed, you could at one time park just over the bridge here, but it got frowned on due to inconsiderate parking by some

the weed problems in the summer-early autumn are probably more to do with less guys fishing it nowadays, the cuts to the EA staff levels all along the canal cause it not to be cut as much as it was

if you head eastwards a bit, and get to giggers green, the start of the CPAS waters, it becomes deeper and has far less problems with the green stuff, this length through aldergate up to the dam at west hythe is the best fishing all year round on the military,

the lengths heading west from giggers are more winter-spring venues now

the drains on the pevensey levels are closer to you and provide good fishing, though dont fish em at night cos their hasunted and full of bogie-men
I was also looking at the pevensey levels too Mick. A lot closer to me as you say plus I understand they hold some good fish too.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
if you ever fancy coming up here, folkestone hythe way, and fishing aldergate or giggers, gissa shout if you fancy the company

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
under the CPAS book, but tickets available on the bank, park behind your peg and loadsa fish !

Pompous git

Site Supporter
The bridge I am referring to is the one at Stonebridge farm {not to be confused with other places with the same name}. Not
only could people park on and over the bridge but I`m sure some will remember when angling club coaches actually parked
here. Why all of a sudden parking was stopped I do not know as I said it was not the farmer making a fuss. Seems to me us
anglers are treated like dirt although they {whoever `they` are} are quite happy to take our lolly.
I have been involved with the leasing of stretches of the canal and been involved with discussions about parking and on one
occasion a landowner just fenced a large section and said hard luck although the club were quite within our rights to fish there
and I know he got no trouble from fisherman he just wanted to flex his {rich ex banker} muscles.
The EA are of no use, at the regular meetings their attitude was you have the lease you get it sorted, all very well but the canal
bank has certain rules that cannot be enforced without EA help.

Sorry Silver Fan to turn your thread into a moan but I feel very despondent sometimes regarding the way our waterways and the
people who fish them are treated .

I have only fished the Cinque ports bit a couple of times at Aldergate, decent depth caught tench and decent roach. Yes handy
being able to park close by in fact I am tempted to join but I don`t like the lanes leading up to Aldergate lane but basically its me
being lazy because I have waters much closer to home.

Was talking to Mick one day when he was fishing, he caught a few. At least he said he did, I didn`t have my magnifying glass
with me.

Silver fan 82

The bridge I am referring to is the one at Stonebridge farm {not to be confused with other places with the same name}. Not
only could people park on and over the bridge but I`m sure some will remember when angling club coaches actually parked
here. Why all of a sudden parking was stopped I do not know as I said it was not the farmer making a fuss. Seems to me us
anglers are treated like dirt although they {whoever `they` are} are quite happy to take our lolly.
I have been involved with the leasing of stretches of the canal and been involved with discussions about parking and on one
occasion a landowner just fenced a large section and said hard luck although the club were quite within our rights to fish there
and I know he got no trouble from fisherman he just wanted to flex his {rich ex banker} muscles.
The EA are of no use, at the regular meetings their attitude was you have the lease you get it sorted, all very well but the canal
bank has certain rules that cannot be enforced without EA help.

Sorry Silver Fan to turn your thread into a moan but I feel very despondent sometimes regarding the way our waterways and the
people who fish them are treated .

I have only fished the Cinque ports bit a couple of times at Aldergate, decent depth caught tench and decent roach. Yes handy
being able to park close by in fact I am tempted to join but I don`t like the lanes leading up to Aldergate lane but basically its me
being lazy because I have waters much closer to home.

Was talking to Mick one day when he was fishing, he caught a few. At least he said he did, I didn`t have my magnifying glass
with me.
Don't worry mate, I have often wondered where our licence money actually goes.