Roundabout driving rules.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
This one seems to have caused no end of chaos on other forums so let's see what MD-ers make of it:

The Highway Code is extremely vague on the matter. So here goes your starter for ten:

A dual carriageway is crossed at a roundabout by a single carriageway road. There are no road markings on the roundabout.
Is it permissible or legal to approach the roundabout in the right hand lane of the dual carriageway, traverse the roundabout in the right hand lane, and exit onto the right hand lane of the dual carriageway on the other side?

rudd

Site Supporter
Yes, unless lane arrows or signage indicate.
Left lane=left(1st exit)
Both lanes=straight (2nd exit)
Right=Right (3rd exit) or u turn (4th exit)

Blanks

Site Supporter
In theory yes, but whilst on the roundabout you would need to indicate left before exiting as you would in effect be changing lanes.
The one I find unacceptable is approaching a roundabout indicating right and going straight on, as I see it if going to the third exit or around indicaing right would be correct but going straight on would not require any indication at all if you are in the left hand lane as you are not changing lanes and continueing on the same road. if that makes sense, might have confused myself there.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have a hideous 5 road roundabout just down the road which I go round more or less every day. It is incredibly clearly signposted and marked on the road from half a mile before it. BUT... my normal route home involves taking the 3rd exit, and you enter the roundabout from 3 lanes. Lane 1, Exit 1 or 2, Lane 2, Exit 2, Lane 3, Exit 3 or 4. Every time I use it, I consciously watch over my left shoulder, as despite all the signs, at least once a week, someone in the middle lane entering the roundabout next to me will take the 3rd exit as well. I understand why you might as there is another exit further round, and it's straight-on-ish (about 1 o'clock, so to speak), but I'm amazed there aren't that many accidents on it as without watching for someone changing lanes (frequently without particularly realising that they are), you would hit the other car without taking evasive action.

In terms of the original question, what @Blanks said in the first line.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
In theory yes, but whilst on the roundabout you would need to indicate left before exiting as you would in effect be changing lanes.
The one I find unacceptable is approaching a roundabout indicating right and going straight on, as I see it if going to the third exit or around indicaing right would be correct but going straight on would not require any indication at all if you are in the left hand lane as you are not changing lanes and continueing on the same road. if that makes sense, might have confused myself there.
Does this apply to BMW and Audi drivers who don't,in their minds,have to use indicators ?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Having driven from one side of Bradford to the other and back again this afternoon, I'd say there are no rules for roundabouts, turning right is a second thought process, and going through red traffic lights is mandatory :)

Stephen

Yorkshire is best
Site Supporter
Having driven from one side of Bradford to the other and back again this afternoon, I'd say there are no rules for roundabouts, turning right is a second thought process, and going through red traffic lights is mandatory :)
and pulling out from a side road into a main road without looking is normal.???. When I have to drive through Bradford it gives me nightmares never seen so much dangourous driving.?

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
The worst place I have ever driven is in Bahrain. The local taxi drivers all used to drive the big american cars and stop for nothing, plus the added danger of some peasant walking his camels or donkeys down the highway.

That was 50 years ago mind, and Paris ran it a close second.

Warden

Site Supporter
In theory one should never indicate "Right" on a roundabout as it is only possible to turn left when entering or leaving a roundabout. ;)
That is my understanding you signal when you are leaving the roundabout

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
The worst place I have ever driven is in Bahrain. The local taxi drivers all used to drive the big american cars and stop for nothing, plus the added danger of some peasant walking his camels or donkeys down the highway.

That was 50 years ago mind, and Paris ran it a close second.

Geoff sounds just like driving in Saudi Arabia. I was driving down a 4 lane highway and was confronted by a an artic coming the opposite way, because he wanted to cross the highway a bit further down, it seems it was easier to drive the wrong way down the highway until there was space enough to do a U turn. :eek::eek::eek:

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Has any else experienced 'Roundabout Wanders' drivers that start off in lane 1 going straight on and drift over into lane 2 halfway around before wandering back to lane 1 it's almost as if they can't see the white line lane boundaries on the road. Maybe it's an un-discovered condition akin to colour blindness.:mad:

Total

Site Supporter
^^ Yep, three times by three different drivers on the way back from fishing tonight...:giggle: