Round vs Crystal Bend

slabmanmark

Hey Guys,

I'm in the process of re-evaluating the hook choices I've made for certain circumstances, however there's one area I'm still not 100% sure about....

Hook bend types, and when is the best time to use each one. I know there's a few out there, but i'm mostly looking at round and crystal bends.

My question is, what's your thinking when it comes to choosing the type of bend in the hook? Any advice?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hey Guys,

I'm in the process of re-evaluating the hook choices I've made for certain circumstances, however there's one area I'm still not 100% sure about....

Hook bend types, and when is the best time to use each one. I know there's a few out there, but i'm mostly looking at round and crystal bends.

My question is, what's your thinking when it comes to choosing the type of bend in the hook? Any advice?
I’m from the old skool pal. Crystal = maggot, Round = Caster. I can’t shake the habit. It’s how I was taught.

stephenk

Site Supporter
Big fan of B911's - crystal bend, and available in standard, F1 (fine) and X (heavy) gauge.

Theres a new T911 out too which is PTFE coated and looks good.

richox12

Round bends open out more easily when compared to the 'same' hook with a crystal bend. Don't get me wrong, they do a job but crystal bend is stiffer/stronger simply due to the acute angle. It only really matters if you're using a fine hook and hook a lump.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Fan of B520s for maggot too, find they seem quite small for their stated size. B611s with a flat crystal bend seem the closest I come to using round bend hooks.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Fan of B520s for maggot too, find they seem quite small for their stated size. B611s with a flat crystal bend seem the closest I come to using round bend hooks.
B520's are a great all rounder Zerkalo. My dad uses that pattern for nearly all of his fishing. And let me tell you, he's a tidy angler.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
They're a fairly narrow gape, isn't that something to do with how they calculate hook sizes now?

I like the micro barb on them on the river as found I was bumping too many fish with the bigger sized Drennan Silverfish Pellet that have quite a severe swept crystal bend. Had them caught on my keepnet, whoops, and pull to get them out and they're still in shape.