Rotator Cuff surgery.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Only got up twice last night, once at 1:50am then again at 3:45am. Slept in the sling and the shoulder seems a little less painful this morning. Thanks Y Sam.

I first injured my shoulder about 3-4 years ago, when I felt a "pop" in the joint whilst pushing a cable through a ducting, didn't think anything of it, so carried on. It gradually got worse. I was taking Diclofenac at the time for knee pain after a few knee surgery's, but that didn't really help. I went to our GP and he gave me a Cortisone injection in the shoulder and after a week or so it worked wonders. Unfortunately the Cortisone wares off after a while. Had other Cortisone injections over the course of time, Physio too, but nothing was lasting. Sleeping was difficult, so in the end the GP referred me to the Hospital. Was all set to have the shoulder sorted, then Covid hit. It wasn't until January this year that I was able to have the operation.

As it stands at the moment, I'm no better off than before. That's why I asked the question. I'm just hoping that over time the shoulder will settle down and I'll be able to get a better nights sleep. The fact that one shoulder looks shorter to my arm than the other is a little concerning though.

Hopefully I'll know more after seeing the Surgeon later today, assuming I can understand him.

Thanks everyone.
Dr Sam to you Sonny😉☺️☺️, and your very welcome. Hope you can go back to snoring and keep your wife awake at night.🤣🥴

Arch

Site Supporter
Well, It seems I'm doing alright.

The Surgeon is happy with my progress, I'm further on than average with my recovery he said. My range of movement is very good, but need to build up my strength in my shoulder a little. He dismissed my plea for more Ora-Morph on the grounds it can become addictive. (It does take the pain away though Doc) and my shoulders pinching in is down to my weakened muscles.

So carry on Arch old son and take Co-Codamol when the pain is too bad you can't sleep. You're discharged.

Thanks Doc.

.....Oh, and go back to work on reduced hours. :unsure:

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Tiger balm could be worth a try, contains Camphor amongst other things which purportedly has pain killing properties.

I use it for muscular pain and works well for me, mum uses it for rheumatoid arthritis pain and also works for that so could be worth a shot. Just make sure it doesn't go on broken skin or the pain will be worse than it is now :LOL:

Other things like Ibulieve gel or Voltarol are good, basically Ibuprofen or Diclofenac in a cream.

Philocalist

Be careful with the painkillers Arch - quite a few years back, at various times I was prescribed pretty much everything you list, and more, often in various combinations. No-one mentioned long-term consequences - the various combinations went on for a couple of years. Almost 8 years later, I find that I've some serious gaps in my memory, from that time and onwards, and that 'gapping' continued until maybe 2 - 3 years ago. They've checked every way they can for alternative causes, but its been attributed to the painkiller use, back then.
I'm not talking about absentmindedness either - its the sort of situation where (as an example) I had no recollection at all of a friend of our lasses - someone I get on with really well - coming to stay with us for a couple of weeks. I refused point blank to believe what I was told - and cannot descibe the dismay I felt to be shown irrefutable proof - photos - of which I had no memory at all.
Not sure whether to tell you this or not, but I had to take a decision to stop the painkillers completely, and just try to tolerate the pain. I wont lie and say it was easy - I still deal with it every day of my life now, years later, the only saving grace being that my body seems to tolerate it better - painkillers in any shape or form are now a thing of the past, for better or worse - they either do no good at all, or if effective are at such a level I'm nigh-on comatose, unable to function in any useful capacity.