Rotator Cuff surgery.

Arch

Site Supporter
Anyone had it done ??

I had RCS and a tendon re attached in my left shoulder on the 14th January. Six weeks in a sling, which was murder. Then on to Physio, then to resistance excises. Problem is, I'm in a lot of pain at night in bed. No matter how I sleep, I get no comfort. I've been taking pain killers to combat this, but they just aren't up to it. Naproxen, Codeine, Co-Codamol, Ibuprofen, Tramadol, some Oro-Morph the Hospital prescribed, Paracetamol, even tried Cannabis oil. Not all at the same time I hasten to add. Only the Oro-morph has helped, but my GP won't prescribe me any more of that.

Nearly 16 weeks in and I'm still in agony at night, not too bad during the day. Is this normal and should it get better with time. It didn't hurt until I came out of the sling, then it's been very painful ever since.

I'm due to see the Surgeon tomorrow. Unfortunately he's difficult to understand, he mumbles a little and is a little direct, so if you don't get it the first time, he's onto something else by then.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Edit; Forgot to add the Tramadol.

Last edited:

drw

Site Supporter
When I had a slipped disc and siatica I was on diclafaniac an paracetamol together but can give stomach trouble, good luck with your appointment if your not satisfied I would ask for a scan

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Back in 2017 I had injections in mine which didn't make a difference after a couple of weeks. Then was due an appointment in Jan 2018 for ultrasound but decided to fall off a roof and dislocate the same shoulder tearing a few tendons, (plus fracture a vertebrae but not shoulder related ;)

Eventually once my back had knitted together sufficiently I went under the knife to sort my shoulder out and had keyhole surgery. The surgeon sorted the tendons out properly, and shaved some bone out to stop them rubbing.
About 8 weeks or so later with gentle exercise it was right as rain and not had as much as a murmur from it since.

So it definitely sounds like something is wrong with yours.

Arch

Site Supporter
When you look at my shoulders, the one the Surgeon operated on is defiantly shorter than the other. Almost like he's tightened up the tendon too much and it's made the shoulder "pinch in" a little bit. My Physio said that should come back, she said it was the muscles around the shoulder holding in in. Hasn't done yet though.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you're not happy with the present surgeon ask for a referral.
I was lucky in that mine was done at a Nuffield hospital under the NHS, and the consultant really knew his stuff

Phil Wright
Consultant Shoulder and Elbow Surgeon

bluemack

Site Supporter
Hi mate ,my mrs had it done about 3 years ago ,it was painful for her for a couple of months or so after having it done
then gradually without really noticing it was fine. So give it time mate.
Regarding the ora morph my mrs takes that for her leg( leg literally just snapped) and they wanted to take her off the
oramorph but it was the only thing that relieved the pain so she insisted she needed it and they gave in,so worth a try
for you.If you need it bad enough ,push em for it. Good luck. (y)

Arch

Site Supporter
If you're not happy with the present surgeon ask for a referral.
I was lucky in that mine was done at a Nuffield hospital under the NHS, and the consultant really knew his stuff

Phil Wright
Consultant Shoulder and Elbow Surgeon
Same for me, NHS through the Spire.

Arch

Site Supporter
Just a thought. What about having it in a sling at night, or is that a stupid idea.
No it isn't. I've tried it and found it uncomfortable, but i'm going to give it another go now you've mentioned it. (y)

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Pregabalin is worth a shout, if opiates aren't touching it then its likely neuropathic pain. Gabapentin is similar and another option.

If GP is thinking the same then might try sticking you on a TCA like Amitriptyline, best avoided as it's a very dirty drug with a large side effect profile.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I suffer from neuropathic (nerve) pain and strong painkillers don't really touch it. I have been on pregablin in the past and it had a good effect. Unfortunately, it also had some bad effects, ankle swelling and difficulty passing urine, so I stopped it. In the past diclofenac was very effective, but they can cause gastric irritation or even ulcers. I can now no longer take them because I am on an anticoagulant and the prospect of a bleeding ulcer plus anticoagulant is not one to contemplate.
Now, I get some relief from using Diclofenac gel on the skin. Might be worth a shot.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Don’t think they prescribe diclofenac now. Well daughter surgery doesn't anymore.

90sGear

Site Supporter
GP gave me a steroid injection about 8 years ago pain got worst for a week and has since gone, have they offered this?

Sportsman

Site Supporter
It is still available on prescription for specific uses, but most Drs won't use it.

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Anyone had it done ??

I had RCS and a tendon re attached in my left shoulder on the 14th January. Six weeks in a sling, which was murder. Then on to Physio, then to resistance excises. Problem is, I'm in a lot of pain at night in bed. No matter how I sleep, I get no comfort. I've been taking pain killers to combat this, but they just aren't up to it. Naproxen, Codeine, Co-Codamol, Ibuprofen, Tramadol, some Oro-Morph the Hospital prescribed, Paracetamol, even tried Cannabis oil. Not all at the same time I hasten to add. Only the Oro-morph has helped, but my GP won't prescribe me any more of that.

Nearly 16 weeks in and I'm still in agony at night, not too bad during the day. Is this normal and should it get better with time. It didn't hurt until I came out of the sling, then it's been very painful ever since.

I'm due to see the Surgeon tomorrow. Unfortunately he's difficult to understand, he mumbles a little and is a little direct, so if you don't get it the first time, he's onto something else by then.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Edit; Forgot to add the Tramadol.
I have just found out i have a bilateral tear in my meniscus, very painful during the night, like you fine in the day. What has helped me sleep, ice the joint 1 hour before you go to bed for 20 minutes, then put a warm bean bag on as you lie down and leave until you sleep, if you wake up use some anti inflammatory gel and a couple of paracetamol. not saying it will help but it has for me. i can get 7 hours sleep now with only 1 interruption when i put the gel on.
I also use Flexiseq during the day as this is non drug cream. Hope you feel better soon.

Arch

Site Supporter
Only got up twice last night, once at 1:50am then again at 3:45am. Slept in the sling and the shoulder seems a little less painful this morning. Thanks Y Sam.

I first injured my shoulder about 3-4 years ago, when I felt a "pop" in the joint whilst pushing a cable through a ducting, didn't think anything of it, so carried on. It gradually got worse. I was taking Diclofenac at the time for knee pain after a few knee surgery's, but that didn't really help. I went to our GP and he gave me a Cortisone injection in the shoulder and after a week or so it worked wonders. Unfortunately the Cortisone wares off after a while. Had other Cortisone injections over the course of time, Physio too, but nothing was lasting. Sleeping was difficult, so in the end the GP referred me to the Hospital. Was all set to have the shoulder sorted, then Covid hit. It wasn't until January this year that I was able to have the operation.

As it stands at the moment, I'm no better off than before. That's why I asked the question. I'm just hoping that over time the shoulder will settle down and I'll be able to get a better nights sleep. The fact that one shoulder looks shorter to my arm than the other is a little concerning though.

Hopefully I'll know more after seeing the Surgeon later today, assuming I can understand him.

Thanks everyone.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Your post- op recovery doesn’t sound right Arch.

A good mate of mine had Rotator Cuff surgery after he’d slaughtered his following years of shooting high poundage longbows and was back to shooting low poundage recurve after 6 weeks of recovery and physio. Took him over 6 moths to build back up to drawing 100lb plus bows but he’s not had a twinge since surgery.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
When you look at my shoulders, the one the Surgeon operated on is defiantly shorter than the other. Almost like he's tightened up the tendon too much and it's made the shoulder "pinch in" a little bit. My Physio said that should come back, she said it was the muscles around the shoulder holding in in. Hasn't done yet though.
Don't worry Arch, your sister in law will look after you👿😱👿