Rotator Cuff Injury

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Right Guys this is the Cause of my Shoulder pain, any advice on strappings, Braces or your personal experiences will be appreciated (y)

davylad

Site Supporter
Not a good injury to have Wisey, especially in your game. The main problem is getting through the pain barrier, depending on how bad it is, as it usually does give you some stick. The first thing after you've done it, is the basic ice, compression etc. Then it's all about exercises, if you look on line, you'll see plenty of advice. If you can imagine your arm in a sling, keep the elbow tucked in and turn the arm out, when you can manage it, put a small weight such as a tin of beans in your hand. I don't want to be negative mate, but it can (probably will) take a good 5 or 6 months to properly heal. Hope this helps mate.

Dusty

Not a good injury to have Wisey, especially in your game. The main problem is getting through the pain barrier, depending on how bad it is, as it usually does give you some stick. The first thing after you've done it, is the basic ice, compression etc. Then it's all about exercises, if you look on line, you'll see plenty of advice. If you can imagine your arm in a sling, keep the elbow tucked in and turn the arm out, when you can manage it, put a small weight such as a tin of beans in your hand. I don't want to be negative mate, but it can (probably will) take a good 5 or 6 months to properly heal. Hope this helps mate.

My old man tore his moving furniture and needed surgery to repair it. He still isn’t the same now, he’s unable to hold any sort of weight and raise his arm straight.

davylad

Site Supporter
Yeah Dusty, surgery is needed in a lot of cases, especially if it's a rugby caused tear. I'm surprised your dad's is still as bad as that though, after surgery.

Nicky Dodds

I lived with a torn rotator cuff for years and just managed to work around it until it eventually progressed into a full thickness tear. Keyhole surgery followed and the resulting pain managed with painkillers. Astoundingly to me I was in physio a week later and the following sessions were absolute torture. The extent they stretched and manipulated the joint I was sure it would come apart again but I guess it didn't. Initial movement range was slightly limited but after a year was probably back to normal. 4 years down the line I think I injured the joint again but not sure to what extent. I never followed it up and learned to live with it and a repair would be impossible now as everything would have shrunk beyond re-attachment range. I'm in no pain and manage quite well, strength wise probably 85% compared to other arm. I'm now 10 years on from the keyhole surgery and have changed the bike handlebars from clip-ons to straights as a precaution.

Gwillim

My advice would be to seek out a decent physio its amazing what they can achieve without surgery and the extent of what they can diagnose (y)
Had 6 months of physio for mine and never needed surgery at all

Wise Owl

Account Locked
My advice would be to seek out a decent physio its amazing what they can achieve without surgery and the extent of what they can diagnose (y)
Had 6 months of physio for mine and never needed surgery at all

I went to see one Wednesday she is Good (y)

Gwillim

You'll be amazed at what you achieve with the exercises they give you what colour stretchy did you get :ROFLMAO:

Gwillim

I aint got one yet mate but ive been given a few exercises to do.

They have different colours for different exercises so that you get more resistance as you build the strength back up (y)
Seeing how far they stretch or pinging them is not advised lol :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: this i know from painful experience :angel2:

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Sounds like when i put a pebble in a whopper Dropper and pulled it back as far as it would go only to let go and the Pebble hit me in the Knackers :sick:

Gwillim

Sounds like when i put a pebble in a whopper Dropper and pulled it back as far as it would go only to let go and the Pebble hit me in the Knackers :sick:

Ouch! :oops:

Stretched it to see how far it would go and it slipped out my fingers and smacked me in the face!
Had a massive red welt on my face for days after :(

Edit: then spent those days with everyone asking how i got the welt on my face :mad: :mad: :mad:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Let your lad take over Wisey, it's gods way of telling you you've spread enough. ;)

PAB

Site Supporter
physio and time a lot of time good luck and don't push yourself to far I made that mistake !

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
You can have injections to reduce swelling and aid movement, or you can have key hole surgery to remove the bone rubbing on the tendons.
Or throw yourself off a roof and rip your arm out of its joint, tear the tendons, and get it operated on - worked for me, mines been fine since :)

90sGear

Site Supporter
I had a steroid injection at my GPs after a few days I though what's he done its worst then unbelievably the pain went and I could get it moving again and all is good!