Rolfs lake

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt

Site Supporter
Well, after spending most of last year telling myself that i'm going to give it a go, i've finally got round to booking a place on the match there next sat. I know that anglers such as kev and keith fish there, but if anyone else can offer any advice it would be gratefully accepted. I gather that the main methods are pellet and corn but with the recent weather we've been having, is it still a case of feeding very sparingly, or are the fish responding to a bit more feed yet?
Also, what is the average depth so that i know what length rigs to make up?
Cheers guys thumbsup.gif

HEY DUDE............
afro.gif

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Matt,nice to see you have plucked up the courage to give it a go.If i were you i would see where you are pegged first and start off very sparingly and gauge as you go on.You can put it in but not take it out.The average depth is about 7/8ft on the main part of the lake but slightly shallower in the smaller bit.Peg 14 is a flyer as is 24 at the moment.
If Kev is fishing he will put you straight.You also have Gary to ask as he fishes for your old club.
Good luck let me know how you get on

Keith

Golfs a game for people who can't catch fish

matt

Site Supporter
Cheers Keith, i'm looking forward to it as i've heard so much about the place. Have looked at the results on the website and looks like some of the lads from prestwood and district (my old club) are doing the biz on there.
I'm thinking positive and aiming for a 'ton' LOL[:p]

HEY DUDE............

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Glad to be of help mate.

I only did one ton last year whereas Kev was taking it apart with a ton nearly every week off every peg.Still dont know where i am going wrong.

Keith

kev coke

MATT
You will have to set 2 rig lengths up 8 foot for the main lake and 4 foot for the smaller one at the moment i am using 0.14 to a 14 hook on a drennan carp2 0.5g
As for bait take 2 tins of corn a tin of catmeat a bit of paste and your own fav pellets but i would buy and use the ones that rolf sells they cant be beat at rolfs and only 1.60 a bag .
Dont worry about where you draw mate i will put you right at the draw mate.

KEV THE PEOPLES BOOKIE

matt

Site Supporter
Thanks for the info Kev, one more question, when fishing pellet at this time of year, would it be better to fish expander over micro pellet or feed the same size pellets as the ones being used on the hook?
Cheers mate[8D]

HEY DUDE............

kev coke

MATT
Dont put micro pellets in your swim at all as you with get small fished out mate and at the moment they are feeding hard pellets only and not putting expanders in you can try them on the hook if you want but i would not feed them.

KEV THE PEOPLES BOOKIE

matt

Site Supporter
Keith; well what can i say[:(]
Turned up at the draw and pulled out 'hot peg' 14! Lucky or what? and that's where my luck finished. It fished very hard.
I plumbed around to find a bar at just over 14.5m. I potted 1/4 pot of pellet in and fished double corn over this. Had the first fish after 1 1/2 hours of around 6lb, this was followed by another 2 of around the same stamp. My thoughts were 'here we go' but i didn't have another fish after that[:0]
Tried most tricks in the book, single, double, treble corn, pellet searched the peg, put a bit more feed in, changed hooks etc..but i couldn't buy a bite. Looking round the lake, most anglers were in the same boat apart from a few who were getting some 'lumps'
At the weigh in only about 1/2 the field troubled the scalesman but it was still won with around 70 lbs.
Not to be beaten though, i've already booked myself in for next sat[:)]

HEY DUDE............

MALC

Unlucky Matt,

But as you say always next week [;)][;)]

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

matt

Site Supporter
Malc, i couldn't believe it when i pulled 14 out the bag! I was actually very excited whilst setting up and after an hour without a bite i was thinking 'oh no, i've really messed this one up'. But i didn't feel so bad, seeing that most of the other on the lake were in the same position as me.
Lets hope my draw bag luck stays with me next weekend[:p]

HEY DUDE............

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Matt,
Did you speak to Kev after you had drawn your peg and before you got to it.A must.A lot of fish are caught closer in on 14.

Keith

matt

Site Supporter
Keith; both kev and gary told me that the best place to fish was to find the bar and fish on top of it as this was where the fish had been in the previous weeks.
Looking back, i probably should have tried a bit closer in for an hour or so, but it's easier to say these things with hindsight![:(]
Never mind though, i'm already pshycing myself up for sat![:D][:D][:D]

HEY DUDE............

kev coke

MATT
Dont feel bad mate the guy on 14 on sunday only had 30lb on the sunday and the lake fished a lot better on the sunday you didnt do anything wrong mate they were just not there.
KEITH
Matt did come and see me and he did what i told him it just fished really bad, as for fishing close mate the fish just arnt having it they are all at 16 meters still which is not doing my back any good at all.

KEV THE PEOPLES BOOKIE

matt

Site Supporter
I must admit though, i did try at 8m for about 5 minutes after 4 hours just to give my arms a rest from fishing 14-15m LOL[:D]

HEY DUDE............

matt

Site Supporter
Well, to continue my learning curve on this venue i fished the match there today (sat). My draw bag luck had deserted me as i drew peg 35 - not too hot![:(] This is situated in the shallower end of the lake. Once again, it fished really hard (i've only met Malc once, but i think the 'jinx' is highly contagious LOL malc, only joking mate[;)]) Any way, to cut a long story short i finished second in section with 2 fish for 13lb, the section was won with 2 fish for 17lb. More fish were caught in the deeper part of the lake, but there were quite a few blanks where i was in the shallow part. I can't wait to get down there again and have another crack at it but due to work comitments i'm tied up for the next few weekends[:(]. However, do not fear, i will be back down there as soon as i can[:D]
I can't wait

HEY DUDE............

Status
Not open for further replies.