Rode heath pool

paulod28

Hi anyone shed any info on this pool?

Walked round it today nobody had a bite.

Is there fish in there?

Also one guy told me its only 4 foot deep all round this cant be true can it?

johnno51

I used to fish it about 7-10 years ago..cracking 6lb + tench and loads of cracking crucians.really good water and they had an old geezer as a bailiff who always carried a little note book and could tell you the weights of every peg...then we heard they'd had some kind of serious fish kill and the fishing went down hill..not been back since..and yes it was shallow but the fishing was great.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
it used to be well known as a summer venue, for the tench and crucians, when it was a day ticket venue. its now on the Mowcop Anglers card. think its about 28 per year. very nice place to fish. were the guys there not catching all carp guys?

DaLool

Originally posted by nutmeg

it used to be well known as a summer venue, for the tench and crucians, when it was a day ticket venue. its now on the Mowcop Anglers card. think its about 28 per year. very nice place to fish. were the guys there not catching all carp guys?
Not Mow Cop any more Nutmeg, think it may be Stoke.
I joined Mow Cop late last year to try this water for pike, as it is near where my mate lives and blanked in spectacular fashion on three occasions!!

Paulod28 - its very shallow and did seem to be fairly uniform.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Originally posted by DaLool

Originally posted by nutmeg

Not Mow Cop any more Nutmeg, think it may be Stoke.
I joined Mow Cop late last year to try this water for pike, as it is near where my mate lives and blanked in spectacular fashion on three occasions!!

Paulod28 - its very shallow and did seem to be fairly uniform.

cheers DaLool, l was thinking of joining Mowcop myself just to give the place a try for old times sake, as the card is cheap enough but shall not be botheringnow.

paulod28

Been to fish this pool today
first blank I have ever had, not even a bite.
Swimfeeder for 5 hours worm, caster, maggot and soft hook pellet nothing worked!

changed to float for last hour not even a small silver could be tempted.

I don't think there is any fish in there

paulod28

Had a chat to a old boy today that used to fish here when it was a day ticket lake.
Recons it is full of big tench and crucians with some quality big dustpan lid bream.
I have my dowts!!!

paulod28

Anyone fished this pool this year?

Any info on what you caught from which peg would be great please

nutmeg

Site Supporter
so who is the controlling club now? it may still be a little bit early in the year yet for this place, we used to fish it in the heat of summer and at first light, it was never a peggy place from what l recall.

karp_katcher

Site Supporter
this pool lost 90% of its fish in 1985, quality roach,crucian,tench and to this day it has never recovered,needs major work to get it back to what it was in the 1970`s,needed a big club the get things done but never got it .not really worth fishing anymore!

Last edited:

RetroBob

I grew up walking distance from Rode Pool and fished it regularly from the mid 90s to 2005 when I moved away (4-5 evenings a week at the most!). At the time it had a reputation as a tough water at least for carp due to the small numbers present, and it still does. It was shallowing gradually but certainly not 4 feet deep all round, plus it was dredged at some point during that time too and so was much deeper afterwards.

The old fella mentioned above was the late Ted Fox, it was much longer than 7-10 years ago though. He was was replaced by gamekeeper Steve Stone (think that was his surname), himself replaced by a chap called Chris whose name escapes me before going on to Mow Cop and now Stoke.

I too had heard of big catches of tench and crucians way before I fished it. I wasn't exactly a skilled angler (still not!) but usually float fished and would catch a fair few small to medium roach, perch and bream, even had the occasional crucian and a 3lb mirror carp. Frankly I loved the place - seeing the mist rising off the water in the morning... it is the epitome of 'being there'. I would love to fish it again but it's too far to justify joining the club. It could I'm sure stomach a few more bream, crucians and tench but I really hope they don't turn it in to one of these awful overstocked commercial places, though I am sure the Baker-Wilbraham family would not allow it. Leave it be.

Last edited:

Jim Manc

This is 2 years after the last post.
I had a walk round Rode pool to see my friend who was fishing.
He fished peg 22 (it has 24 permanent pegs) Fishing a pole at 13 mts on caster he had a good bag of roach to 12 ounces (approx 25lbs and a large bream of 8 lbs. he fished for 3 hours. He also fished on Sunday for a short time and had some good roach and a pike that took one of his fish. It was about 7lb.
The depth at 13mts is 4 to 5 feet and It gives the impression of a typical large Cheshire mere.
As there is no joining fee for Stoke A/S this year I have joined online as the over 65s cost is reasonable.
To be honest, The fact that the lake is so peacefull and picturesque with excellent views makes it well worthwhile for me. It is obvious from the above posts that there have been some ups and downs with the lake in the past, but it is good that there are encouraging catches and fishing is available and it it not controlled by a syndicate. I will keep you updated over the next few weeks.

Woody29

I had a walk around this lake yesterday (Sunday 19th March 2017) as it is included on my Stoke-on-Trent Angling Society ticket.
Ominously there was no-one fishing it and it didn't look as if any of the pegs had seen an angler for some time.
Beautiful looking lake though. Anyone fished it lately?

karp_katcher

Site Supporter
Mostly fished by the carp boys,but if you know where to fish there's some good pleasure bags to be had,really good roach and bream are coming back.,bit early for the crucians and tench.
Used to be a net across the lake dividing the pool between the fishing pegs and the protected area, been told this has been removed.
This year could be the year the fishing gets back to the old days,but you still need to know how to fish it and what pegs!

Woody29

Thanks KK. Any tips on what methods work best and what areas to target?
I quite fancy having a go for the larger Bream, if they're still in there.

karp_katcher

Site Supporter
Yes some good bream in there,you'll need to find an area where the shoals are could be hit or miss,will need a bit of time keep you ear to the ground where there coming from.some of the carp-boys may-pick up one or two.
Will need some decent weather in the next few months,I'll be giving it a good go this year mainly on the pole up to 14.5m.

Ryanstein

I'm looking to try here for a day, will need to join sotas first though! I heard that you can't fish on one half of the lake though? Looking to target carp. Shame there's no nightfishing allowed!