Rod wieghts ...as promised

squimp

Site Supporter
Interesting thread....

Here are a few more (assuming my scales are accurate):

Daiwa AWL13 (Harrier) 165g. Hollow tip, silverfish rod. Slightly lighter than MW‘s stick version.

Tricast Triaxial (spliced tip power float rod): 13ft 170g, 15ft 185g and 17ft 210g.

I know it’s not directly comparable but a Tricast XS 14ft is only 155g and that is the stepped up version - so a 13ft X could be ‘considerably’ lighter ?

PS just checked Tricast website and my XS weight is bang on what they claim......

Last edited:

adriang

Site Supporter
A few from me to add to the list:

13ft Normark Microlite - 220g (handle upgraded with a Fuji real seat, so not stock. The butt section alone is 172g)

15ft Preston Carbonactive - 205g 2ft extension - 30g = 17th Preston Carbonactive - 235g

13ft Tricast Tribune (hollow tip) - 190g

13ft Tricast Sterling (hollow tip) - 185g

13ft Shimano XMS (hollow tip) - 172g

13ft Shimano XMA (spliced tip) - 175g

13ft MAP Matchtek ('rolled' tip) - 202g 2ft extension - 30g = 15ft MAP Matchtek = 232g

13ft Shakespeare Mach 2 Boron (spliced tip) - 275g

15ft Maver MV-R light (hollow tip) - 170g

11.5 ft Silstar Traverse X Med Feeder - 244g (had this out, so decided to weigh it).

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
People have a lot of float rods to weigh!

I've only ever weighed the 13ft acolyte ultra at about 140g and 13ft CR10 #1 at about 165g. I don't have to weigh my ninja to know that's heavy though, even at only 10ft I'm certain that it's a good few grams heavier than the acolyte at 13ft.

Don't suppose anyone knows what the 13ft match pro ultralight weighs? Reckon that's probably the lightest feeling rod I've used other than the acolyte ultra. That is going back few years but I'd guess it would sit somewhere between the ultra and CR10.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Well it stopped raining so I ventured down the shed and grabbed a handful of 13ft float rods of various vintages, some spliced tip and some hollow, there are 2 wieghts for the spectron M2's as I have 2 of each... So here goes
Daiwa tournament RS. 185
Daiwa spectron M2 spliced. 180 & 183
Daiwa spectron M2 holl. 176 & 178
Daiwa conny spliced 174
Daiwa whisker kev lite 185
Leeda 7000 spliced tip. 173
Tri-cast sovereign spliced 164
Tri-cast John Allerton. 162
Sensas parabolic. 174
Matrix reflex. 165
Maver Nanolith. 139
Silstar match team. 177
Rive R waggler. 120
B&W CTM 13A. 312

Some surprises there, interesting that the Silstar match team that has an action as close to a microlite as I have seen also weighs the same as a microlite, and the tournament RS although it is the heaviest it actually feels lighter in the hand than some of the lighter rods due to good balance. I also knew the Nanolith was light but the actual weight surprised me
I'm not reviving this thread, but as we get asked about rods weights so often. Would it not be a good idea to form a archive of all the above rods, with the availability to add too th list. As small comment on the rod beside each one would help the person looking. Seems people go to so much work getting the facts for us, it would be nice to see them kept?

trotter2

I'm not reviving this thread, but as we get asked about rods weights so often. Would it not be a good idea to form a archive of all the above rods, with the availability to add too th list. As small comment on the rod beside each one would help the person looking. Seems people go to so much work getting the facts for us, it would be nice to see them kept?
Yes Rick it would be a good idea imo.👍

notime

Don't suppose anyone knows what the 13ft match pro ultralight weighs? Reckon that's probably the lightest feeling rod I've used other than the acolyte ultra. That is going back few years but I'd guess it would sit somewhere between the ultra and CR10.
Drennan MatchPro Ultralight 13´ on my Scales 165g, which surprised me because my 30 year old Shimana TwinPower 420 SplicedTip is shown as 156g but feels heavier as the Matchpro in use.

trotter2

My old Shimano powerloop x 14 ft spliced comes in at
185 g which still a class rod imo.
Couple of new purchased rods to add.
Daiwa purple connoisseur TDCM 13 comes in at 184g
Daiwa AWM13 comes in at 184g.
Thought the TDCM would have been lighter but not on my scales.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Drennan MatchPro Ultralight 13´ on my Scales 165g, which surprised me because my 30 year old Shimana TwinPower 420 SplicedTip is shown as 156g but feels heavier as the Matchpro in use.
That is a surprise I’d have thought it would be 160g tops. Wouldn’t have guessed it would be almost an ounce heavier than an acolyte ultra.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Matrix horizon pro 13 foot 1" or 4 metre actual weight 144g.
Close enough to an acolyte ultra to not really make any difference that I expect it’s a very nice rod in the hand 👍🏻 The acolyte is billed at 135g but mine was more like 140g when I checked it, although I didn’t clean it first 😉

satinet

I weighed my daiwa sr3 13' at 148g on the kitchen scales.

Got to say I'm really happy with it. Paired with a daiwa 2500 reel it was a good combo.

Far better rod than the Mach 3xt it replaced and significantly lighter. Very nice. Got it for about £60 on eBay.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
That rod had the lowest weight specification for a 13' Daiwa float rod that I've ever come across. I was a little surprised that none of the expensive UK made stuff (that I could find specs for) came particularly close.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I weighed my one when this thread started, and thought the weight couldn't be as low as i saw, as it seemed heavier than my Shimano Twin power spliced tip rod. It is most likely a balance thing.

satinet

That rod had the lowest weight specification for a 13' Daiwa float rod that I've ever come across. I was a little surprised that none of the expensive UK made stuff (that I could find specs for) came particularly close.
Yes it's light. It wasn't the most expensive rod in the range for that period though. As I say weighed myself to approx 150g so it's for real.

The tip is pretty thin as you would expect. Very happy with it. I can see why people like these higher end float rods.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Yes it's light. It wasn't the most expensive rod in the range for that period though. As I say weighed myself to approx 150g so it's for real.

The tip is pretty thin as you would expect. Very happy with it. I can see why people like these higher end float rods.
The point I was making is that, as far as I know, the SR3 was not a high end model, nor was it UK made.