Rod wieghts ...as promised

nejohn

Site Supporter
Well it stopped raining so I ventured down the shed and grabbed a handful of 13ft float rods of various vintages, some spliced tip and some hollow, there are 2 wieghts for the spectron M2's as I have 2 of each... So here goes
Daiwa tournament RS. 185
Daiwa spectron M2 spliced. 180 & 183
Daiwa spectron M2 holl. 176 & 178
Daiwa conny spliced 174
Daiwa whisker kev lite 185
Leeda 7000 spliced tip. 173
Tri-cast sovereign spliced 164
Tri-cast John Allerton. 162
Sensas parabolic. 174
Matrix reflex. 165
Maver Nanolith. 139
Silstar match team. 177
Rive R waggler. 120
B&W CTM 13A. 312

Some surprises there, interesting that the Silstar match team that has an action as close to a microlite as I have seen also weighs the same as a microlite, and the tournament RS although it is the heaviest it actually feels lighter in the hand than some of the lighter rods due to good balance. I also knew the Nanolith was light but the actual weight surprised me

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That rive is almost unbelievable, can't get my head around what a rod of such length must feel like at around 20g less than an ultra or a sphere!

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
John,
The Daiwas look to be around the specs (where found) and pretty much where I thought they'd be. It would appear that there is some variation over the years and through the price ranges, but Daiwa have rarely gone in for making rods as light as possible. It would also appear that the rods are actually getting slightly heavier in recent years. That's possibly as a result of the ever increasing line ratings. It's not unusual to find Daiwa match rods rated to 8lb these days. Such is the influence of commie fishing.

The Maver Nonolith is a bit of a surprise, but it's not a rod I've ever knowingly seen or held. The Rive is incredible and I'd love to know how they've lost the best part of an ounce when compared to the lighter end of the spectrum.

I suspect that I'd be very unlikely to use the B&W unless I was exceedingly nostalgic about it. Might be good for pole vaulting!;):eek:

nejohn

Site Supporter
Chris, although at the heavier end the daiwa spliced tip rods are perfectly comfortable to hold all day as they do seem to balance very well.
The Nanolith is a very nice rod and was very much top of mavers range about 10 years ago with a price tag of around £280, it is a strange rod with an action that takes a bit of getting used to, it is very stiff and fast actioned but never seems like it is over gunned and it is good with silvers but it seems to tire larger fish very quickly, once you get used to it, it is a joy to fish with.
The Rive is incredibly light and the 14ft version is still lighter than a 13ft acolyte or sphere, I think some of the weight loss is in the design of the handles, although full cork they are very slim in the middle section, I think this will account for a few grams, also the carbon and resin they use are a bit special by all accounts with blanks made in Japan with the latest materials that are normally reserved for the aerospace industry probably saves the other grams.
As for the CTM..... I got it out a few months ago and thought I will give it a try for old times sake.... Then I put it together in the garden and got a sudden dose of common sense... I wiped it down gave it a polish and carefully replaced it in its bag.... I just added it to show how far we have come given that it was a top spec state of the art glass fibre rod in its day

MarkW

ABU Mark 6 14.75 oz or about 420 grams; back in 1977 broke the club and river record with a 32lb match catch of dace in 6 hours and could hardly move my arm for two days. Fished the Allerton today, like a wand in comparison.

The best fish players of all are the Carbotecs, truly incredible rods although I still can't fathom the Daiwa Team X I inherited from a mate. He once beat me in a match with a 17lb carp on a 20 and 2lb line and I've since had a load of doubles (up to 23-4) on fine lines down to 0.08.

If a rod has the right action and is balanced the weight matters little. My 1981 vintage B&W John Dean Stick Float rod weighs 187 grams but is still one of the best long distance stick float rods I've fished with, versatile enough to fish a waggler and has won plenty of matches and caught a lot of big roach.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Just notice that I wrote the wieghts of the CTM down wrong...... It should read 372 not 312..!!!

trotter2

The maver nejohn just tried looking those up apparently came in light ,medium and heavy versions .Some interesting data one for the memory bank I think.

nejohn

Site Supporter
The maver nejohn just tried looking those up apparently came in light ,medium and heavy versions .Some interesting data one for the memory bank I think.
I have only ever seen them in medium and heavy, the heavy has red tips to the whippings and the medium green, mine is the medium and is fine for everything from small Dace/Roach etc to Barbel and low double figure Carp. I have yet to see a rod with as quick tip recovery speed as this one, this really does help when casting and I don't seem to bump many Dace with also. Weight wise it is obviously a very light rod and also very well balanced, I think the heavy action rod is a touch heavier which is understandable

trotter2

I have only ever seen them in medium and heavy, the heavy has red tips to the whippings and the medium green, mine is the medium and is fine for everything from small Dace/Roach etc to Barbel and low double figure Carp. I have yet to see a rod with as quick tip recovery speed as this one, this really does help when casting and I don't seem to bump many Dace with also. Weight wise it is obviously a very light rod and also very well balanced, I think the heavy action rod is a touch heavier which is understandable
Shame live so far apart would have liked to have seen it. What would you describe it as stick rod,waggler rod or middle of the road nejohn.?.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Shame live so far apart would have liked to have seen it. What would you describe it as stick rod,waggler rod or middle of the road nejohn.?.
I would class it as something like a Normark Titan, not an out and out stick or waggler rod but does a half decent job of both

trotter2

I would class it as something like a Normark Titan, not an out and out stick or waggler rod but does a half decent job of both
Cheers yes I thought that .Amazingly light must use some very low resin carbon cloth. Don't think I have ever seen one for sale even second hand. Do you get the impression they are quite rare?.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have only ever seen one second hand and Robrush off here beat me to it, I think he also found another one. I always keep my eyes open for another and as long as it isn't silly money I will snap it up

Robbush

Site Supporter
Hi John, I didn't manage to find another, still looking though, I'd be gutted I'd it ever broke, it's my go to rod

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Chris, although at the heavier end the daiwa spliced tip rods are perfectly comfortable to hold all day as they do seem to balance very well.
I'm quite happy that will be the case. I've used rods over 200g very recently, without resorting to anything more than a few years old. However, I can still easily tell the difference between using a 150g rod and a 200g rod after four or five hours of trotting. As I've stated on numerous occasions. The weight of a rod is not the be all and end all, especially with rods up to 13'. However, if all else (balance, action etc) is equal between a couple of rods, I'd choose to use the lighter of the two for trotting every time, especially when the difference is around an ounce or more.

I'm glad that you weighed the Daiwas you have. It confirmed my thoughts nicely that Daiwa have probably not made a single rod that could reasonably be considered as light when compared to the sub 150g stuff available now. I did think that your initial estimate of 160-170g (on the other thread) for the Tournament RS might be rather optimistic. The 13'er I picked up didn't feel unduly heavy, but it wasn't especially light either. The main reason I suspected they might prove to be heavier than anticipated was that when I handled the 15' version, I was gobsmacked at how heavy it felt.

I choose the Spliced Tip Spheres for trotting, not because they are the very lightest possible option. I use them because they are the lightest I've found that meet my action requirements. I couldn't care less if someone produced a rod 30+g lighter unless the action was at least equally good. If weight were the only factor, I'd never have bothered looking further than Acolytes. Let's face it, the Acolytes are lighter and cheaper.

People seem to have come to believe that I'm interested in nothing but a bare weight figure when choosing a rod. I'm really not. All that really concerns me is that people quantify things, where they can, when they make claims for rods being "light", "really light", "incredibly light" etc. Some folks seem to believe that some really porky rods are "light" when they demonstrably are not. I guess it comes down to what a user might have experience of. I suppose a 200+g 13' will be stupidly light to a user of the average composite, fibreglass, cane or even early carbon fibre, rod.

No modern 13' rod, even significantly more than 200g, is likely to pose a real difficulty to use for a healthy adult angler. Simply choosing a different reel might easily wipe out a few ounces of weight difference between rods. However, as I'm well aware that several rods are now sub 150g, I'll continue to struggle to accept that anything of about 180g or more can reasonably be considered as being particularly light these days. That doesn't mean that they aren't at least decent rods though.

trotter2

Well it stopped raining so I ventured down the shed and grabbed a handful of 13ft float rods of various vintages, some spliced tip and some hollow, there are 2 wieghts for the spectron M2's as I have 2 of each... So here goes
Daiwa tournament RS. 185
Daiwa spectron M2 spliced. 180 & 183
Daiwa spectron M2 holl. 176 & 178
Daiwa conny spliced 174
Daiwa whisker kev lite 185
Leeda 7000 spliced tip. 173
Tri-cast sovereign spliced 164
Tri-cast John Allerton. 162
Sensas parabolic. 174
Matrix reflex. 165
Maver Nanolith. 139
Silstar match team. 177
Rive R waggler. 120
B&W CTM 13A. 312

Some surprises there, interesting that the Silstar match team that has an action as close to a microlite as I have seen also weighs the same as a microlite, and the tournament RS although it is the heaviest it actually feels lighter in the hand than some of the lighter rods due to good balance. I also knew the Nanolith was light but the actual weight surprised me
Do you have the weights for the daiwa amorphous rods nejohn think I read one time you had a couple.
Cheers

nejohn

Site Supporter
Do you have the weights for the daiwa amorphous rods nejohn think I read one time you had a couple.
Cheers
I did have both spliced and hollow tip versions but got stolen about 10 years ago along with most of my other kit, I replaced the Conniesuer's but not the AWM's as I preferred the connys, I did buy a spliced tip AWM that is in awful condition with the intention of stripping it down completely, I started then moved house so put it along with some other kit in Kathy's parents garage.... Who in turn moved house so it is probably in the black hole that is in the in laws garage loft, so won't be an easy find. If I remember rightly it felt slightly heavier than the equivalent Conniesuer so my guess would be around the 180 mark. Although a good rod I felt the original Tom Pickering Conniesuer (the purple one) was a nicer rod

trotter2

I did have both spliced and hollow tip versions but got stolen about 10 years ago along with most of my other kit, I replaced the Conniesuer's but not the AWM's as I preferred the connys, I did buy a spliced tip AWM that is in awful condition with the intention of stripping it down completely, I started then moved house so put it along with some other kit in Kathy's parents garage.... Who in turn moved house so it is probably in the black hole that is in the in laws garage loft, so won't be an easy find. If I remember rightly it felt slightly heavier than the equivalent Conniesuer so my guess would be around the 180 mark. Although a good rod I felt the original Tom Pickering Conniesuer (the purple one) was a nicer rod
Ok thanks for that ?

MarkW

My Daiwa AWM 13S (stick float rod) Harrier Match which was the £150 rod not the dear one, weighs 6.5 ounces or 185 grams.

The plastic butt cap ( I remove it so have one kicking around) on my Normarks weighs about 0.5 ounces (my two digital scales give 16 grams and 12 grams; I think the 16 is correct!

trotter2

My Daiwa AWM 13S (stick float rod) Harrier Match which was the £150 rod not the dear one, weighs 6.5 ounces or 185 grams.

The plastic butt cap ( I remove it so have one kicking around) on my Normarks weighs about 0.5 ounces (my two digital scales give 16 grams and 12 grams; I think the 16 is correct!
Nice one Mark cheers