Rod versus Pole

Rod and Line or Pole?

• Rod and Line

Votes: 72 72.0%
  • Pole

Votes: 28 28.0%

• Total voters

Blanks

Oooh, difficult one this, Zerkalo you have started something here, looks like another bone of contention between Neil and Chef lol.
Without doubt rods are more versatile and I would hate to have venues where I could not reach the fish, but poles are so accurate and great for fishing up in the water.
Rods are easier to carry and require less paraphernalia, wheras poles are expensive and have many more tarty things ( I get aroused by the flouro colour elastics).
At the end of the day I would begrudgingly have to give up my pole in favour of the versatility of rods.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
It looks like a crushing victory for the Rod and Line. Now the real question? Flouro, Mono or Copolymer? :eek:

SoulSoldier

Site Supporter
I think it is the way you were taught. My mentor taught me to use rod and line with inverted quill floats on the North West Canals in the mid sixties. I have a pole but hardly ever use it. These days on the canal I use a rebuilt Harrison’s Match special. On still waters a Harrison GTi 12 ft hollow tip and on rivers a Harrison’s GTi 13ft spliced tip. So I suppose I’m saying rod.

Ivan heaphurst

Catching fish with the pole leaves me cold. Just hold on and watch the elastic take all the fun from catching fish.
I have to feel the fish when hooked, this happens with rod and line. This is what floats my fishing boat.

dave the fish

Site Supporter
Much as I would like to vote rod, these days with arthritic wrists with little movement, it has to be pole.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Diff'rent strokes fer diff'rent folks... I like both I can't choose either one over the other

tincatim

Site Supporter
I used to love fishing with a pole, for accuracy and sensitivity it’s unbeatable. Then I broke my pole and didn’t replace it. I’m now at a point where I’m really enjoying rod and line fishing so much that I’m happy not to buy a new pole and just work at perfecting my rod and line skills. I love feeder fishing and I love waggler and stick fishing. I’ve bought a whip recently though which is a small step back towards the dark side…

SoulSoldier

Site Supporter
If you were lucky enough, as I was, to watch the good and the great fishing rod and reel on canal matches, the likes of Billy Makin, Ian Heaps. Kevin Ashust, Benny Ashurst and Tony Scott you would always choose rod and line to try and emulate their greatness. When the pole took off, as did the plastic pig these became the great leveller, so I would say that the rod and line is more skilful, challenging and enjoyable. I spent quite a lot of time watching great canal anglers because as a youngster around the Northwest and North Midlands I usually packed up early as I was Pools fodder back then.