Rod Test Curves

jvb

Just wondering if anyone had any advice to give me on Carp rod test curves. Im looking to fish larger waters (possibly abroad as well) and buy some rods to match but I also want playing the fish to be enjoyable. Would 3.25lb rods be a good option? Or will 3lb be more suitable?
Any opinions welcome

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
I’m not a carper, but I do use rods of that type for piking. I’ve always found that the most important thing when looking at new rods is how they feel. The rod that feels ‘right’ in the hand, ie, balanced, comfortable on the cast, etc, will serve you better than deciding just by the test curve. A 2.75 rod that flexes the way you prefer, be it tippy, all through or whatever, will cast further and play fish better if it fits your style rather than a 3.5 tc broomstick that feels awkward in your hands with the weight in all the wrong places!

obviously, a light Avon won’t fit your requirements, but handle a few rods, with fitted reels, and you’ll see what I mean!

Oh, welcome, by the way!

jvb

I’m not a carper, but I do use rods of that type for piking. I’ve always found that the most important thing when looking at new rods is how they feel. The rod that feels ‘right’ in the hand, ie, balanced, comfortable on the cast, etc, will serve you better than deciding just by the test curve. A 2.75 rod that flexes the way you prefer, be it tippy, all through or whatever, will cast further and play fish better if it fits your style rather than a 3.5 tc broomstick that feels awkward in your hands with the weight in all the wrong places!

obviously, a light Avon won’t fit your requirements, but handle a few rods, with fitted reels, and you’ll see what I mean!

Oh, welcome, by the way!
Cheers!
Ye I'll bring it up with the local tackle shop when possible, dying to get fishing!

Silver fan 82

Would really depend how far you are going to be casting. The further you need to cast, the heavier weight you use so the greater the test curve. For example casting a 4oz lead with a 2lb tc the rod would be a bit under gunned so a 3 or 3.5 tc would be better. As juttle says with a lighter rod you can enjoy the fight a lot better.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@jvb

I took 2 3lb test curve rods to France ( Lac de Saint-Cassien) and they weren't quite up to the job. I bought a couple of 3.5tc rods while there, and although they were brilliant for those waters, they weren't very useful when I got back (too over-gunned). The upside of it was I sold the 3.5lb tc rods for a bit more than I paid for them.
Where abroad are you thinking of going?

Last edited:

jvb

@jvb

I took 2 3lb test curve rods to France ( Lac de Saint-Cassien) and they weren't quite up to the job. I bought a couple of 3.5tc rods while there, and although they were brilliant for those waters, they weren't very useful when I got back (too over-gunned). The upside of it was I sold the 3.5lb tc rods for a bit more than I paid for them.
Where abroad are you thinking of going?
France seems a great place to go, also would like to go Germany maybe Czech Rep, lakes being larger than here. Ideally i'd like a rod that I could use for fishing both the UK and Europe, thats how I came to looking at 3-3.25lb rods.

Silver fan 82

France seems a great place to go, also would like to go Germany maybe Czech Rep, lakes being larger than here. Ideally i'd like a rod that I could use for fishing both the UK and Europe, thats how I came to looking at 3-3.25lb rods.
Would probably be your best bet for the bigger European lakes. I think anything under 3lb wouldn't cast as well as you would like to hit the distances required.

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
It all depends on the rod. A 3.25lb tc rod from one manufacturer could feel totally different to the same tc rod from another manufacturer. Your best bet is to get yourself down to a shop with a decent selection of rods & have a feel of the rods. If you’re looking to use them abroad as well then you are really looking at 3.25lb tc minimum. Depending on your budget, the Freespirit range are hard to beat & make some superb rods