Rod Sleeves

Offside

Hi First of all thanks for adding me to the forum.
I've been away from fishing for about 8-9 yrs, Anyhow I've seen a few guys walking past with rods in Rod Sleeves my question to you guys and gal's is this.
As my eyesight ain't as good as it used to be and it takes me ages to thread the line through the eyes. I take it you leave the line assembled through the rod. Another question do i have to strip the float off and all the shot etc. Or could I put a swivel on the end of the line and set the float and shot pattern like I do for my pole?.
Hopefully (well i know you guys will know)

lp1886

Site Supporter
Yes you leave the rod fully set up. What I do, regardless of float or feeder, is to wind the rig onto a pole winder and secure this to the handle using a rod band (usually get 2/3 supplied with the sleeve).

nejohn

Site Supporter
I carry some 2 piece rods in rod sleeves, yes you keep the line threaded through the rings if it is a waggler rod I use a pole winder and store the rig as I would a pole rig but keep it attached to the rod, wrap an elastic band around the winder to keep everything in place. Wind in until the winder is a few inches from from the tip then fold the rod in half with the tip at the butt end secure both pieces and the winder with a velcro rod band and store in the sleeve. That should stop any chance of tangles and by securing the tip to the butt will protect the delicate tip. Make sure you use a quick change float adapter so if you need to change your rig on arrival it can be done fairly quickly. 3 piece rods are more difficult but with care they can be done but personally I don't do it

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I’ve got some of the Preston butt and tip protectors, that are joined together with a long strip of elastic and also has a Velcro band in the middle. They are the dogs. I got 1 to try out and now have 10

JRW

Site Supporter
I never leave hooks, floats, bombs or feeders on. On float rods I just leave the float adapter on. On feeder rods I leave a Drennan method connector on. Only takes a few seconds to attach the end bits.

solwood

Site Supporter
I leave it all on. Method feeders, floats etc

I use ngt neoprene bands and tip protectors

Method feeders 2 piece avon . Attach hook to last eye on rod top section. Take off top and wind up till level with top of butt
Wrap neoprene round rod behind method and hold with band.

Quiver much the same just make sure tip is not tightened so its curved

If using feeder/bomb I remove as on quick change adaptor

Float use quiche change or double rubber on the river so tend to remove