Rod repair/upgrade

Poacher Pat Felstead

Site Supporter
Evening all. I have been toying with replacing a few of my old rods that were left to me by my dad. That was until I used his Shakespeare boron Mach 2 and centre pin on Saturday.

I remembered I love that rod however I really need a Fuji screw reel seat fitting to it. The only reason I considered replacing it was the reel seat has become loose and the reel can fall out

I'm based in Nottingham can anyone recommend someone that would be able to do this for me?

Thanks in advance

ravey

It might be worth asking at your local tackle shop. If they can’t do it themselves, they may know someone locally. I live close to Nottingham, and remember one of my club colleagues getting a Fuji reel fitting installed. The guy was based in St Ann’s, but moved down south at some point, and his apprentice took on those bits of work. He was based in Beeston iirc. To be honest, it’s a fairly straightforward job, and I have fitted a few to rods I own. There are also helpful instructional clips online. Feel free to drop me a pm.

Poacher Pat Felstead

Site Supporter
It might be worth asking at your local tackle shop. If they can’t do it themselves, they may know someone locally. I live close to Nottingham, and remember one of my club colleagues getting a Fuji reel fitting installed. The guy was based in St Ann’s, but moved down south at some point, and his apprentice took on those bits of work. He was based in Beeston iirc. To be honest, it’s a fairly straightforward job, and I have fitted a few to rods I own. There are also helpful instructional clips online. Feel free to drop me a pm.
Thanks, I've watched a couple of videos but would be worried about messing it up.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Quick tip ...
the simplest way to solve this problem is to wrap the rod handle with electrical tape at the point where you want the reel to sit.
This builds up the handle to it’s former size, so the rod bands grip the reel foot firmly again.
it’s not even visible/unsightly as the rod bands sit over it.
I did this as a temporary repair with a couple of rods ... over ten years ago ... and they haven’t deteriorated at all.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have a feeling that the Mach 2 Boron had a parallel fibre glass section underneath the cork handle, if this is the case it is not a difficult job to fit a fuji reel seat as you can remove all of the handle the fit the new seat from the butt end of the rod without the need to remove any guides, it is then a simple case of adding either preformed cork or duplon handle sections below the new reel seat. A reel seat and all of the Cork/Duplon handle sections are readily available from Guides and Blanks. It might be worth exploring if my memory is right and there is actually a parallel section under the cork before you make any decisions, I seem to remember a thread on here somewhere about refurbishing a MACH 2 boron

cuzza

You can cut up a bike inner tube and put a piece over either ring on the handle, should stop it moving and less messy than tape