ROD&REEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulBrom

Could anyone please advise me on what rod&reel I should be looking at to use for legering.
It will have to be a bit of an allrounder taking fish from around a few oz to 20lb>30lb carp,I know this might be a tall order but any advice greatly appreciated.
I am alredy looking in the Shimano baitrunner 5/6000gte dept with regards reels,but I don,t know if this is OTT.
I am budgeting for around 120.
Cheers,
PB[:)]

aliwil42

for me i like the daiwa regal x baitrunner.... ought to be able to find this for about 40 or less....does the trick for me....

as to rods...to be honest i aint sure what to reccomend..... i use a daiwa sensor z carp rod with a 2.25tc.... which i got with the daiwa reel at a good price from nimpopo...and a shimano hyperloop carp rod which i got from index...

i would say it depends on how you want to get your stuff...

a local tackle shop would probably be able to help and advise as well and they will let you hold the rod and reel to see how you get on with them as well....

hope this helps a bit

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Thats a bit of a poser which rod? No one rod will realy cover that scenario. Have a look at the shimano hyperloop barbel classic. 1.5lb TC and comes with two tips a quiver and normal top. This will handle all the sizes you mention, what it wont do well is cast heavy leads or feeders.

chill out go fishing

Datafile2.asp

NoFinPhish

Mighty Cat Slayer
Well I've just ordered a 500OGTE to go with my Barbel rod. I know
they're supposed to be the business, but have you considered the Okuma Interceptor? It comes with a spare spool.
This has had amazing reviews and you can pick up a size 40 or 50 model for 30, I've even seen them for 28. In fact I have read a review that came to the conclusion it was BETTER than a 5000GTE (steady, sit down Larry!) - send me a PM if your interested and I'll send you the link.
I played about with the Okuma at a local shop and it seems really nice. It was a close decision , but the silver just wouldn't have gone with my dark green Fox Barbel Plus rod ;o)

Then you could buy a Zebco Rhino DF Special Feeder rod (60 from WMAC for instance). Try a search on this BB for some discussion about 6 months ago. I've got one, but use my carp rods if I'm going for doubles so don't know how it performs if you get a biggie.By all accounts it's nearly indestructable...except when you step on one of the tips like I did [:eek:)]. From memory it comes with 1, 1.5 and 2oz tips

Thats 90 spent, which I think would cover most of what you want, though I would prefer to have a dedicated rod for bigger carp or using The Method. I guess things would be a bit hairy on lighter tackle! (for comparison my Barbel rod has a 5oz quiver tip)

With the money you save on the reel, you could always buy a Shimano Hyperloop carp rod 2.5TC - 33 at Littlewoods Index. An absolute bargain by all accounts, some of the chaps on here use them and swear by them.

Thats 3 over budget and you've only got one reel for two rods, but thats your problem [:D]

Br
Jason

Last edited:

aliwil42

i would agree with the hyperloop.... i even managed to get mine from index for 30 but then they put the price up...

im sure that searching on the net i have found them for less than that though....

PaulBrom

Thanks lads for your advice,it is very much appreciated.
I will certainly have a good look at the Okuma reels,as the reports I keep hearng are very good.
Cheers,
PB[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.