Rod Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

rutilus

Hi folks

Firstly let me say this looks like an excellent forum. I can see me spending many lunchtimes in here [:)]

Can anyone recommend a good rod for stalking chub and barbel? I want something versatile without being too stiff. I have up to and around 100 to spend.

Thanks

Paul (1st post)

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
On what river? or at least an approximation of its size. There is available such a wide range of rods with varying test curves

chill out go fishing

Datafile2.asp

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Paul

First welcome to the site hope you enjoy your time here.
For a rod, i use a Frantic twin tip (quiver & avon) cost me 30 from staffs angling supplies really nice rod, light & well balanced but got the ability to handle some really nice chub so i reckon it would handle a barbus or two.

Give Andy who posts on here as Tiny a shout & see what he's got available.

Alan

Datafile4.asp

rutilus

Hi esox,

It will mostly be used on the Thames and Cherwell in the Oxford area and I don't expect the fish to be massive so I don't need anything too brutal - 1 & 1/4 test curve perhaps?

Paul

everyready

first of all welcome to the site , if you look in the classified section their are some rod in there that might fit what you are looking for

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
In that case go with Troggs suggestion. The frantic is infact the John Wilson avon of which I have one and its a brilliant rod. Give Andy a ring and mention maggotdrowners to get your discount.

chill out go fishing

Datafile2.asp

Lid

Hi rutilus and welcome to MD's.

quote:It will mostly be used on the Thames and Cherwell in the Oxford area and I don't expect the fish to be massive so I don't need anything too brutal - 1 & 1/4 test curve perhaps?
I was brought up in Oxford and I can assure you there are some large barbel and chub in both the Thames and the Cherwell. I have JW Avon quiver, but I personally want something a little beefier if I connect with a large fish in a small river. Mind you Esox.20 would disagree with me, I'm sure.

Lid [:)]

rutilus

Thanks for all the replies guys.

quote:I personally want something a little beefier if I connect with a large fish in a small river

Yes but large fish + light tackle = fun [:)]

I am now thinking about a 1 1/2lbs test curve rod and I will definately check out the John Wilson range. I think I am going to have to try a few in the tackle shop before making up my mind.

icarpdaily

'Dancey'
Welcome mate.

Tom.

devil-flip.gif Wheres my float oh my god wheres my float, oh yeah im ledger fishing. demonbat.gif
"I, d rather be dead than cool " Curt Cobain.
"It's better to burn out than fade away" Curt cobain.
Maggotdrowner's the only place to be when your not on the Bank.

Datafile4.asp

Lid

quote:Yes but large fish + light tackle = fun
Yes I agree it's great, however a 10lbs barbel or carp in a 12' wide weedy stream on light tackle is probably a lost fish!

Lid [:)]

paul mc

Hi rutilus.
you cant go wrong with a porky pig. They are not as stiff as some off these new style barbel rods but can comofortably handle the bigger fish(rated upto about 8lb mainline),or you could try these http://www.harrisonrods.co.uk/ some off them are quite pricey but they are VERRY good rods. I have 2 ballistas for carp and an interceptor for tench /barbel etc. The only problem with the inteceptor is its hard to tell shy bites as its not a quiver rod but if you are stalking this shouldnt be a problem.

Regards Paul Mc
Datafile.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.