ROD PODS

Status
Not open for further replies.

vectradog

Goodge
In last weeks Anglers Mail(April 13)
they have several rod pods on test.
If you cant get hold of a copy Email me with your address and I will send it through.
Vectradog(Dave)

martin.

Account Locked
hi
whats wrong with banksticks?
(this should get some going somewhere)
you can then set your rods to any angle & it doe not matter how steep the bank is. 8 banksticks for 4 rods 4 to 10
1 pod for 2 rods 20 mininmum

tight lines.
martin.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
martin, couldnt agree more. Even though I have rod pod I only use it when I have to, ie when its impossible to get bank sticks in. And I use the ones with a screw. how many times has the b****y pod has got blown over. John

chill out go fishing

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ah but John, when you are moving pegs, you only have to lift the pod once icon_smile_tongue.gif
On the number of rods on a pod, I'm sure I saw Trev with four on his once, lol

Dave

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
seen him with 3 and one not being fished greedy b****er

chill out go fishing

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Very true Dave couldnt agree more then as you move around it catches the undergrowth, in trees etc blood pressure rises face goes red and the air gets bluer been there etc. Or else its 2 trips to move all the tackle. Right wind up time now. I got fed up having the pod blown over in high winds (I'm not a fine weather fisherman 12 months of the year me). To see 2 rods 2 optonics and the pod get blown off a jetty into 20 feet of water in the middle of winter is a sobering experenece. So I resorted to bank sticks with the grip type rod rests problem solved. Try pods with this type of rest and what happens? you get a run, strike and the pod goes with the rod DUH pod and rod/s all over the bank.
Right thats me finished for now I'm going to sit back and see what response this gets. Were in the right sport at least its hook, line & sinker..... and reel em in boys keep it clean and sweet. John

chill out go fishing

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Oh you pair of fibbers!

MY pod will only TAKE 3 rods! lol, but I must admit I am just as happy with banksticks,

IF I can get them into the ground! Not always easy on stony banks!

AND John, I've never fished with you, without you've set up your pod LOL check the photo's

I must admit the last fish I took from Rudyard was the one that pulled the pod over as it was being fished sideways on because of the high water reducing bank space!

Martin, can you buy me 8 banksticks (Screw in variety) for 8.00 please lol

Used Tackle do a cheap one at 24.99, and I would only buy a cheap one, because like the others, I do agree banksticks are best.
PS never used the pod in Ireland!

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Trev your memorys slipping I only resort to a pod when I have to, even at Rudyard. i have used rests more than the pod.

chill out go fishing

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
LOL , not when I been there mate!

Cant remember not seeing the pod!

Musta been someone else LOL,
Cya

Trev

Ziptrev

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
OOPs Tell a Lie!

Yeah 15th March you did have Bank sticks, High Water that day.

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Well, now that I have had to check my OWN posts and admit John is right (It aint just my memory that's failing lol, but it only took me 10 minutes to check and apologise, which some people find impossible to do!)

How about this for an idea.

I was bought by a non-fishing relative for Xmas 'The Complete Guide to Fishing'

This book (and it would answer 95% of Rob's and Garry's posts) is written by Tony Miles for
the Coarse Section.

In it he shows a Pike Set up, whereby two central Banksticks bearing 3 rod Buzzer bars, combine the best of both worlds
economy and reducing kit weight.

What do you think to that idea fellows, or is the lack of direction of the different rods still a problem?

Now I hope the way I've asked that question allows for ideas and information to come out and people make their own minds up without needing to contradict one another, which is exactly what a forum should be for!

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev

Edited by - Ziptrev on 23 April 2002 11:01:25 AM

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Trev,

They say that sometimes the obvious isn't there to see. The suggestion of using two central Banksticks bearing 3 rod Buzzer bars is a very good one and one that I could have used on several occasions rather than a pod and which would have been more suited icon_smile.gif

Good one, Dave

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Yeah Dave,
I liked the look of it too!

The only argument AGAINST that I can see, is that unless you cast close together, the left and right rods will have an Angle and not be pointing directly at the bait, which is the same as for a pod!

Purists (J and M LOL) may rightly say that this detracts from sensitivity, but how much I wonder?

So I think I'll try it AND have a side by side trial with just banksticks (And then I can justify 4 rods LOL)

Well, I bought 2 licences!

Cheers
Trev

Ziptrev

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote: Purists (J and M LOL) may rightly say that this detracts from sensitivity, but how much I wonder?

Ah, but wouldn't that also apply to Back-Leads then?

I often wonder if the use of back-leads could impair on bite indication because not only do they put a right-angle into the rod to bait line but they also can force the line to lay over undulations on the bottom.

Sorry detracting a bit icon_smile.gif, Dave

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Back Leads!

Bought a set of three,

Never got round to using them due to lack of understanding of exactly how to get right distance and maintain cast.
Please feel free to expand on this, although apologies to Goodge for highjacking thread.

Why is there a right angle with back leads?

cheers

Trev

Ziptrev

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Yep sorry Goodge,

I've started a new thread in Fishing Talk called Back Leads

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/991

icon_smile.gif Dave

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I must be getting old !!!!! and I dont want any comments from that B****y mod Trogg either. BUT I was using the buzz bar with single rests back in the mid 70's when I started carping.
As a butt indicator is slightly less efficent than one at the tip it helps to have the rod pointing at the bait. using a buzz bar with either a pod or single rests limits the angle of spread available. This is where pairs of rests score heavily over them.
I feel that it was the rod pod that started the decline of the rests and buzz bars. perhaps this was the start of the "tackle tart" syndrome along with matched rods. John

chill out go fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.