Rod Licesnse prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
Got in a bit of a debate last night with a mate of mine who is coming back in to angling and he was talking about buying this pole that rod that reel etc etc when i mentioned don't forget yer rod license he looked at me with a puzzled look and brought up a valid point when i explained the price structure of having a RL correct me if i am wrong but you have 3 options 1 day 2.50 8 days 6.60 and 12 months 21 now as most of us know a 12 monthly one runs out in march so as my mate said i plan to go now at least once a week up until march and why cant i have a 6 monthly one which as i say was a very good point surely if u can get 1 day 8 day and 12 monthly why not bring a 6 month one in surely this would mean more revenue.

Datafile2.gif
Happiness is a rod in your hand

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
It would be far better if instead of running from April to March The licence was valid for 12 months from date of purchase.

chill out go fishing

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
it would be better if we did not have to buy a licence because they do nothing for uds. We still have Cormorants in yorkshire devouring every fish they can. Three seals eating everything they can and are the authorities doing anthing...NO...So why pay them?....Haydn

there is no such thing as a stranger..just friends who have not yet met.

norm

esox i agree

12 month from the date you got it sounds good to me

haydon ooohhhhhh nnnnnnnooo you may have just sarted something here mate you better duck (lol)

Polepot

Poles
John and Norm we are as one on this.

Whilst that change would make no difference to most active anglers - new anglers would get 12 months value whenever they purchased their licence.

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

norm

polepot

i am trying to think of a reply that does not involve football.. (lol) only joking mate totally agree with what you are saying

Steve

A six month licence is not a bad idea but as as already said it will only be for people coming into angling and I suppose any additional costs for form printing and getting it introdced would be significant.

But the twelve month rolling option is so obvious, I just can't think of a single reason against it, you also wouldn't need the six month option.

Maybe we are missing something [?]

Fishermen have more fun than people do!

Steve

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hayden

I take it you don't agree with the rod licence then?

I mean your 21 is going to do a lot in your own area isn't it?

Then again if you look anywhere around the country you'll see the black plauge is not only a major problem in Yorkshire (there's a couple on the madras stretch of the Penk) & BTW thats got nothing to do with the EA, their hands are tied on that subject so why blame them?

If you have access to an atlas take a look & see just how much water there is in England & Wales, thats a hell of a lot of water & there's only one EA so you can't honestly expect them to deal with all the waters immediatley can you?

Am i biased by what the EA have done for my area? probably but then again we are in the area with the most polluted waterways in Britain (well, we were), it seems to me that people forget who gives the EA its orders maybe a reminder....the goverment, they are the ones who tell the EA how & where to spend their budget each year unfortunetly the MP's only seem to think of Game angling & southern waters then again most MP's only go game fishing (seen by many as the "gentlemans angling") & most of them prefer the south anyway so perhaps you would be better to aim any argument you have in the direction of your local MP & see if he can answer why 80% of EA funding/ budget is spent in that way.

I suppose when you think about the money spent on fish farming & other fishery related subjects like disease prevention etc paying your rod licence is a waste of money, just imagine it, the River Don or some other well known & much loved/ used river in yorkshire suffers a massive fish kill through pollution, the EA no longer have the funding of anglers so why rush to sort the problem out or find the culprits after all that would just be a waste of what little funding they would have.

Now comes the problem of restocking the rivers, as they can no longer afford to rear their own fish in their own farms (due to yet more budget cuts) any controlling clubs will have to pay for the restocking themselves, this will of course lead to a massive increase in club fees the following year, which will result in less members as they can no longer afford to pay the amount asked, which will result in the death of the club due to no funds being available to pay the rents etc on the waters.

Oh one other thing to think about, while we are paying a licence fee to use the waterways within the EA's catchment area (which is basically paying the goverment a tax to go fishing) it will be that little bit harder for the anti's to make any progress on banning fishing.

Then again if fishings banned you won't have to worry about a rod licence anyway.

As for the 12 months rolling licence i totally agree & one of the angling comics obviously feels the same as they are trying to get the EA/ govermnt to instigate it.

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

Last edited:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Haydn..........
quote: it would be better if we did not have to buy a licence because they do nothing for us. We still have Cormorants in yorkshire devouring every fish they can. Three seals eating everything they can and are the authorities doing anthing...NO...So why pay them?....

I wonder if you have really taken the time to find out the fact's before you make such a sweeping statement?Take a little time to have a look at The Environment Agency Website,It might open your eyes!

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
All i was saying is why can't you have a 6 monthly license to be fairer to anglers would you pay 12 months tax for your car if you where only going to drive it for 6 months ?, I personally think it will increase revenue why should you have to pay for 12 months when your only using it for 6 months everyone as there own opinions on the RL debate which your entitled to, but the more i think about it the more i think its right and i also agree with the majority of the guys a 12 month rolling one sounds brill to me

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I agree with the idea of a rolling 12month licence, seems like a good idea. Also why not have an optional three rod licence for say 32?
The reason behind this is how many carpers/pikers use three rods - if there was a three rod licence would people buy it rather than buy two normal ones (or not as is often the case)

How about we all put our ideas together and I'll send the EA an email with them?

Dave

Polepot

Poles
Al says
quote:All i was saying is why can't you have a 6 monthly license.....I personally think it will increase revenue

Al I'm sorry I think your statment is I'll conceived. I feel sure the majority of Angling takes place in the summer months, and it is only the hardened few who continue when it is cold wet and windy. I think if a six month license were to be available then the EA would see a drop in revenue as many anglers would by a six month ticket. Not me or you p'haps but I do know of several MD's who have hung up their rods for winter

I think the likeness to the Car Tax does have some credibility to illustrate the rolling year which I feel must be proposed to the EA.

Poles

Stu

Cant drink anymore
Site Supporter
Instead of a Two rod limit have three at the same price 21, many waters have day tickets for up to three rods, they don't charge for the extra Rod.

Stu

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
Sorry Trogg did not mean to wind u up. I agree with the rod licence for all the reasons you state. Ithought someone would jump, I did not think it would be you. After all 21 is less than 50p a week. You can`t even get a packet of 3 for that LOL. Sorry I was taken seriously....haydn

Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hayden

no problem mate, i just get a bit miffed when people start knocking the EA.

If people realised that for less than 8p a day you get to have a whole years enjoyment i think they would be a smidgen surprised & if the licence knockers were to learn how to add up & make a whole sentence instead of just ugh, kill, boilies & feed me [;)] then they might also realise that they are getting value for money.

take a look at a soccer match (1st div) it now costs , what? around 20/30 to get in.(tell i don't watch it can't you)

That would supply me with enough bait to last a fortnight (or an hour in Daves case [;)]) & no i'm not joking.

So i could either spend 90 minutes watching a bunch of silly asses kicking a bag of wind & snogging the face off anyone who gets it into a net or i could go fishing & spend hours doing something that i really enjoy every day for 14 days.

Is there really a comparison?

As Martin says flip football talk erm .er ..oh damn it what the hell is that other thing called [:)]

Like i said Hayden no problems mate glad you weren't offended to much.

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
There you go again FOOTBALL FOOTBALL FOOTBALL, save it for the club-house,[:D][:D][:D]

To get back to the original topic,
I think any genuine angler dos'nt have a problem with the cost of the annual licence, its the cost of the day or weekly licence which IMO are grossly over priced, there's no wonder the casual angler try's to get away with it!

2.50 for day & 6.60 for a week might not seem a lot of money but at the side of 21 for a year it is.

It should be more like 2.50 for a week & 5 for a month
and anyone wanting a weeks fishing to use more than 2 rods only need to add extra cost of the weekly on top of there annual licence.

teepee.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
No rolling licence would seem to be the main bone of contention.

Back in the old day's it wasn't such a problem,cause with the close season it was just season to season unless you were into a bit of fluff flinging.

However i have to say that the new system saved me a small fortune as i used to have to spend about 50 to get the licences to fish in all the various areas during the course of a season.

Fully agree however that it should be possible to get a 3 rod licence for say 30 to keep the carp boys happy.

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
Good point mate i never thought of that i'll stick with the 12 month rolling one then lol
quote:Originally posted by Polepot

Al says
quote:All i was saying is why can't you have a 6 monthly license.....I personally think it will increase revenue

Al I'm sorry I think your statment is I'll conceived. I feel sure the majority of Angling takes place in the summer months, and it is only the hardened few who continue when it is cold wet and windy. I think if a six month license were to be available then the EA would see a drop in revenue as many anglers would by a six month ticket. Not me or you p'haps but I do know of several MD's who have hung up their rods for winter

I think the likeness to the Car Tax does have some credibility to illustrate the rolling year which I feel must be proposed to the EA.

Poles

fishing_mad

I agree with you although i only pay 5 pound for mine (im under 16) but what will all this agreeing do why not send an e-mail to the enviroment agency and tell them your idea and ask what happens to the rod licence money and what areas it goes to.

BOB

on the subject of rod licences,never bought one as you dont need one in scotland,is it just england and wales which need a licence or do they need one in ireland also[?][:)]

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.