Rod license

Gaz9243

I was chatting with a friend yesterday, and I mentioned I’m taking both my children fishing today (my sons first ever) and he said he’s been thinking of taking his.
He asked if he would need a rod license, as technically he won’t be fishing, but he will be assisting. Normally I’d advise to get one to be sure, but he lost his job a couple of weeks ago, and he’s on his back side. So if he can save a few quid, it will help massively

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
He needs to get one really as it just provides a cop out if questioned.
He may be short now but he could end up a lot shorter if he has an unsympathetic EA bailiff and it goes further.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I did read a while ago of a mother being prosecuted for holding a landing net to help her child land a fish. Best to have a licence because you can be prosecuted for intending to fish even if you are not actually fishing at the time.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I thought that children under a certain age didn't need a license as long as the person with them had a valid one. Not sure what the age is but I had my 10 year old daughter with me on the canal a few weeks ago and she was dangling a top 2 in the edge. An NRA bailiff was checking licenses when he checked mine he said nothing about my daughter needing one

Steve57

Site Supporter
NOTE: Although young children who are under 13 year old do not need a licence to fish, the person supervising them needs the proper fishing licence to take hold of the rod or to help the child fish with it.

That is the note from the EA in my above post.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I have a rod licence & my 6yr old doesn’t need one if that helps.

Gaz9243

I did read a while ago of a mother being prosecuted for holding a landing net to help her child land a fish. Best to have a licence because you can be prosecuted for intending to fish even if you are not actually fishing at the time.
That’s all he will need to know