* Rod Licence News Release *

Status
Not open for further replies.

MALC

The following is a press report from The Sun.

IDS to scrap rod licence
By DAVID WOODING
Whitehall Editor

THE Tories will launch a bid to reel in voters today by axing the 22.25 angling licence.

Iain Duncan Smith believes it will strike a chord with five million Brits who enjoy the sport.

He said: The rod licence is an out-dated tax on peoples leisure time. Im determined to give freedom and choices for people to enjoy themselves in the countryside.

Mr Duncan Smith who spends many weekends on the river bank added the annual licence is deeply unpopular because none of the money is pumped back into protecting waterways.

Anglers spend 3billion a year on tackle and many also face hefty club fees or fishing permit charges.

The Tory leader says they are furious at having to fork out more on a so-called rod licence no matter how often they fish.

Three out of four dodge the fee and face fines of up to 2,500 as well as having tackle seized.

Last year 220,000 anglers were stopped by bailiffs demanding to see licences.

Mr Duncan Smith believes ditching the licence will encourage more people to take part in countryside pursuits.

The ploy could also help him catch thousands of floating voters for the next election.

Fishing is the most popular participation sport in the country, with 5,000 clubs in England and Wales alone.

Mr Duncan Smith will today start consulting anglers, landowners and environmental groups about axing the licence.

He reckons most of the 16million a year it raises is spent on bureaucracy.

It does nothing to protect waterways, he claims, but deters many casual fans from taking part.

He will add that while Labour is killing the countryside by trying to ban fox hunting, Tories are trying to to revive it.

My view is firstly they can't even get the cost right.

If the rod licence was to be scrapped personaly i think that would be a big vote in favour of the anti's and would see the EA suffer as well as our waters.

At least whilst we pay for a rod licence we have a voice (all be it small).

Whats your views.

RED WAS
Datafile2.asp
I'VE STARTED CATCHING NOW HE'S GONE..!!

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Malc this is weeks out of date. It was mentioned weeks ago on another forum.

I for one am against it. Its just a vote gaining ploy. How will the EA be funded if we as anglers dont pay? I bet the EA would be scrapped and then where would we be?

chill out go fishing

Datafile2.asp

aliwil42

talking about scrapping the fishing rod licence scheme...

i noticed that there was no mention there about the price of a rod licence to catch salmon.... which is a lot more expensive.... could it be that they see the amount you have to pay for one of those and get greedy ?...

also the article said about 5000 clubs in england and wales alone...

strange they dont mention scotland.... now i grew up in scotland and fished for trout and salmon in my local club..... but all i remember having to pay was the annual fee for the club... never heard about a rod licence... do you actually need one in scotland or is it only england and wales ?

just thought to add my tuppence worth..

G

Pay your licence fee and help the EA.

Tory rubbish, vote propaganda thats all it is

Datafile4.asp

Andy,
Datafile4.asp

Last edited:

Apache

I agree with all that has been said, and we would almost certainly lose out in the long run

Tight Lines,
Matt

Datafile4.asp

Heathlands Angling Club - http://www.heathlandsanglingclub.8m.comPinkieDrowner's Forum (Under 18's only) - http://www.maggotdrowning.com/younguns

Roppa

I actually agree with him, with regard to the 16,000,000 per annum not being used to protect our waterway's. But a positive move would be to target the revenue we create towards our waterways and our sport, even the policing of our sport. All of which are infinitly better than withdrawing our monies altogether from the EA's coffers.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I posted about this in July (Click here), it caused quite a furore on AN.

I agree with the rod licence & am more than happy to keep paying, while we pay we have a say.

If we don't pay anything then imagine how much easier it will be for the anti's to say "well look they go fishing & use the public waters which is paid for through the tax payers & they don't pay anything towards it so ban fishing"

Bring it down in price or even freeze it BUT don't scrap it, as for the sh1tes that are caught without one ........simple fine them with a minimum of 2000 & confiscate any gear they are caught with ALL monies raised from the prosecution should be given to the EA & NOT the governemnts coffers as the fines are now, after a few are caught the others will think twice.

Aliwil i assume the reason the Scots aren't included is the simple fact they are now de-evolved from us & have their own parliment & of course north of the border there is no rod licence.

Alan
Datafile3.asp

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
quote:also the article said about 5000 clubs in england and wales alone...

strange they dont mention scotland....
The rod licence only applies to England and Wales.

chill out go fishing

Datafile2.asp

bashy

bashy
aliwil42 as far as i am aware you do not need a licence in scotland just a permit for the water you want to fish.
as far as the licence debate goes as with most things it has its good and bad points,
the good being that at least when you spend money at a venue you know the money is going back to the venue, as for licence fees i would say probably what 95% goes in administration costs and about five percent actually on "improving" the waters.
i feel in effect we do pay twice for fishing with licences and then day permits.
it seems to me the licence fees go up each year but more waters are being taken over by clubs, but if it wasn't for the clubs i do think a lot of the river systems would be in trouble, afew years ago i was walking down the banks of the tees looking for somewhere to fish, i was on a free fishing section that was/is owned by the council where the banks were over grown the four pegs they had put in needed repair and tidying up to allow access on to them, whereas on the opposite side of the river (club owned) it was immaculate and there was anglers from the club going along the bank tidying it up ensuring the paths and pegs were clear, there was no rubbish lying around etc. it may of been a one off for a match or something but every time i went it was always tidy on the club side and a disgrace on the free side.the only problem with clubs are that not everyone wants to join a club, why join a club if you only go fishing a few times a year.

i suppose though if at the end of the year you sat and worked out how much you spent on day permits, club subscriptions, match entry fees(if you match fish) what differnce will an extra 20 really make?

don't we also pay water rates which contribute to the upkeep of the river systems and resevoirs etc. so in effect we pay up to three times for our fishing.

bashy.

aliwil42

quote:Originally posted by Trogg

Aliwil i assume the reason the Scots aren't included is the simple fact they are now de-evolved from us & have their own parliment & of course north of the border there is no rod licence.

Alan

thanks trogg for answering like i had said i couldnt remember whether there was a licence to pay in scotland...

as to the licence.... i do agree in paying the licence and i do pay for my licence.... but i think ...like others have said... that it would be nice to see the monies being used to improve fishing....

Trevski

Up the fines to 2000 and split the money 50/50 between
the EA and the Police.

You can see where I'm going with this can't you?
The police are so keen on speed traps to raise money,
what could be easier than a walk around the local
fishery or down the towpath for raising a few
grand for the the constabulary AND the EA, no
expensive radar jiggery pokery needed, just a
pen a ticket-pad and a bit of shoe leather.

Wouldn't bother me AT ALL. I always carry my
rod licence with me when I'm fishing.

Neil Wayte

It would be nice to see Plod around the fisheries it may just stop some of the little Sh1ts who nick tackle as well.Recently had a statment taken by the plod whilst fishing.The comment was "core it's nice down here"

Trevski

So radical, It might just work.

adrstuart

i think by doing this ian duncan smith is going to lose a lot of votes and right he should as well

jonesr

Toma your dead right! I.D.S. is scratching for votes again!![}:)]
Who will be taken in by that statement![V] I certainly agree that the money should be used for what it was intended for.[?]

Ron J

Age isn't everything!Experience is!
I INTEND TO LIVE FOR EVER,SO FAR SO GOOD!

bashy

bashy
the answer the police would come back with is they are far too busy to look for licence dodgers. i think it would be a good idea though,
another point though are fisheries doing enough to help in this war on licence fee dodgers, i have never been to a fishery and been asked for my licence before a permit has been purchased in my life, surely if permits were not available until a licence had been produced that would help as it would certainly cut down the options for the non licence paying angler. do clubs ask for proof of licence before allowing subscriptions, there is a lot that can be done by the genuine anglers and fishery owners in cutting down on this.
could they not ask clubs who have fishing rights on waters to act as bailiffs aswell and take down details of people fishing without their licence and pass those details on to the ea? i have only ever seen one bailiff on a river bank in 15 years, they moan about this loss of revenue but who is actually chasing it up?

bashy.

Trevski

Right now thats what the Police would say, "Not a sensible
use of resource", "Under staffed", "Under funded" etc.
BUT they find PLENTY of resourse for catching speeding
motorists where the money goes into their own coffers.
If the force could make money out of it they would put
resource into it.
I spoke with my neigbour, who is a seargeant at the
local nick, last night about it and he agreed.

agrees

Alison

I am in favour of upping the mandatory fine and confiscating all their gear but I know the polices' response would be that speeding can kill (people) where as fishing without a licence doesn't.(must say I agree with that statement also)

Alison

maxwell_hung

caster blaster
Yeah but reducing the amount of accidents is not the primary concern for the majority of speed cameras that are in place. If it were they would be put in the places where the accidents occur.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.