Rod Joints - Newbie Question

JFB473

Hello everyone. I’m returning to fishing this year and have recently inherited an ‘as new’ Daiwa Match Winner (Will Raison), V-Joint, Medium Multi Quiver 11 - 13ft rod (MPL 1113). This rod is probably 10 years old if not older. Fully assembled the rod is 13ft long and I am very confident that I have all the parts. However, it’s not clear to me how the rod should be made up so that it is 11ft.

I think I just need to remove the first section after the handle section (which fits over the handle section spigot) and insert the second section inside the handle section spigot (it looks like the handle section can work as a male and female spigot). My only concern is that I’m not sure this is correct and I don’t want to damage the fittings by assembling the rod incorrectly.

Can anyone please confirm my thoughts or let me know what I should be doing. Cheers.

Attachments

• E3952011-A3D5-4C2A-90DF-01084407558F.jpeg
    E3952011-A3D5-4C2A-90DF-01084407558F.jpeg
    396.1 KB · Views: 9

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
The rod will have a 2 foot section, put the rod together without it. You'll then have the 11 foot rod.

Total

Site Supporter
Hello everyone. I’m returning to fishing this year and have recently inherited an ‘as new’ Daiwa Match Winner (Will Raison), V-Joint, Medium Multi Quiver 11 - 13ft rod (MPL 1113). This rod is probably 10 years old if not older. Fully assembled the rod is 13ft long and I am very confident that I have all the parts. However, it’s not clear to me how the rod should be made up so that it is 11ft.

I think I just need to remove the first section after the handle section (which fits over the handle section spigot) and insert the second section inside the handle section spigot (it looks like the handle section can work as a male and female spigot). My only concern is that I’m not sure this is correct and I don’t want to damage the fittings by assembling the rod incorrectly.

Can anyone please confirm my thoughts or let me know what I should be doing. Cheers.

Welcome to MaggotDrowning.com ;)

Your above assumptions are indeed correct.....I have exactly the same rod. (y)

JFB473

Thanks for the quick reply.

Just to confirm, the 2ft (ish) section is the first section after the handle. This section fits over the handle spigot. If I remove this section, the next section will then fit directly inside the handle spigot.

I my (old) world of fishing rods, joints were strengthened with whipping over the top. If I remove the first section and fit the second section inside I will be going against what I used to understand as ’the way rods were assembled‘.

Is this common place with newer rods or a Daiwa trait?

Thanks for the help.

Total

Site Supporter
Thanks for the quick reply.

Just to confirm, the 2ft (ish) section is the first section after the handle. This section fits over the handle spigot. If I remove this section, the next section will then fit directly inside the handle spigot.

I my (old) world of fishing rods, joints were strengthened with whipping over the top. If I remove the first section and fit the second section inside I will be going against what I used to understand as ’the way rods were assembled‘......

Thanks for the help.

^^ Yes.

The also did a power version of a similar rod, (Will Raison..11, 13, 15 feet)....With two, two foot sections that fitted together above the handle to take it from 13 to 15 feet.(y)

Arch

Site Supporter
I think all Daiwas 11/13 feeder rods were designed this way. I also think it doesn't look right when the rod is set up as an 11' I tend to use mine at 13' all the time.