Rod Holdall

feldri

Site Supporter
I still have a Nash one...apart from a hole in the brolly pocket and a broken zip toggle it's still usable......! Just goes to show how good that luggage actually was. I tend to take less kit with me now and have a smaller Preston one that just takes 6 tubes and still opens flat..one thing I did find though, which kind of made the Nash one redundant, was that as rods got longer the hold-all needed to expand too and it was mainly for that reason that I changed. My pole obviously has its own holder so that's more kit to lug around, good job I don't have to trudge miles anymore to fish eh.
Sorry, just realised that I'm not being that helpful in your search for new kit, but it's good to reminisce and to find out I'm not the only one who doesn't get through gear at the drop of a hat ..!

Yeah, really was great gear for the period. Zip toggle went on mine after the first 10 years of use. Drilled a hole and fitted a loop of nylon guy rope, still going strong. Insides are really tatty now though with the constant sliding in and out of tubes.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Little bit off topic, my next rod holdall I will make myself, not joking why do they have to be gigantic. Just try getting a
smaller sized one.

Why are some anglers obsessed with rods being made up? Not being deliberately negative, it only takes a few minutes
tackling up, what`s the big hurry?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
In know what you mean PG, I went from a holdall to a quiver to save a bit of bulk. My float rods are in tubes in it so are perfectly safe in one and even with feeder rods the delicate tips are obviously in tubes. You do have to be more careful with them but is easy enough to do.

Tbh I quite often only take two rods so don't even bother with the quiver then as a couple are easy enough to carry. I'm basically forced into travelling light by a small car and often fishing rivers.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Yes I thought about a quiver, I could try cutting a holdall down and using Velcro.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Another Drennan user - mines the 6-8 tube version and I can only assume they were using very thin tubes 'cos I can only get six and a couple of top kits in and that's a tight fit. However it does offer the ability to use the velcro straps on the outside of the holdall, in conjunction with the external pockets, to attach the bespoke Drennan ready-rod cases.
Excellent build quality though - all the zips still work, the handles and straps are all intact and there are no tears or rips in the fabric

The bigger one though is mahhoosive
I examined one in the shop - it's actually in two halves so rods you will definitely use could go in one side and those that you only might use go in the other - saves opening it up fully. The side pocket is capacious too - would swallow a brolly, landing net poles and half-a-dozen banksticks easily.

Simon

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
All my rods that I take fishing, (8), are wrapped in their own cloth bags and then placed in tubes that fit in my rod holdall. The holdall itself is a late 80's early 90's Nash holdall. It has a full length zipper that lets me open the holdall fully so I can easily choose which rod I want. It also has a large side pocket for a brolly, feeder arm etc; and a smaller pocket for bank sticks.
It has served me well for 30+ years but unfortunately is fast approaching retirement. So, I'm looking for a new holdall.
Sadly Nash do not make this holdall anymore. Anyone of you Drowners know of a make or model of holdall which would suit me? Has to hold 8 tubes for 13ft 3-piece and 12ft 2-piece rods, have a full length zip so can be opened out, and with a couple of side pockets for brolly etc. I don't carry my rods ready made-up, so don't need the bulges for the reels to sit in. Not bothered what make it is as long as it's durable and waterproof.
Many thanks in anticipation of your replies. All recommendations will be checked and I will let you know which one I have chosen out of those.
This maybe worth a look at , no tubes needed

Attachments

• flambeau_bazuka_rod_case_-_rods_tube_storage_1.jpg
    flambeau_bazuka_rod_case_-_rods_tube_storage_1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 6

feldri

Site Supporter
Another Drennan user - mines the 6-8 tube version and I can only assume they were using very thin tubes 'cos I can only get six and a couple of top kits in and that's a tight fit. However it does offer the ability to use the velcro straps on the outside of the holdall, in conjunction with the external pockets, to attach the bespoke Drennan ready-rod cases.
Excellent build quality though - all the zips still work, the handles and straps are all intact and there are no tears or rips in the fabric

The bigger one though is mahhoosive
I examined one in the shop - it's actually in two halves so rods you will definitely use could go in one side and those that you only might use go in the other - saves opening it up fully. The side pocket is capacious too - would swallow a brolly, landing net poles and half-a-dozen banksticks easily.

Simon

I like Drennan gear but the single is too small and the double as you say is mahoosive. Thanks for the suggestion though. :upthumb:

feldri

Site Supporter
Anyone got or used this one from Preston? Still the front runner in my quest so any reviews would be appreciated.

1592910910245.png