Rod Holdall

feldri

Site Supporter
All my rods that I take fishing, (8), are wrapped in their own cloth bags and then placed in tubes that fit in my rod holdall. The holdall itself is a late 80's early 90's Nash holdall. It has a full length zipper that lets me open the holdall fully so I can easily choose which rod I want. It also has a large side pocket for a brolly, feeder arm etc; and a smaller pocket for bank sticks.
It has served me well for 30+ years but unfortunately is fast approaching retirement. So, I'm looking for a new holdall.
Sadly Nash do not make this holdall anymore. Anyone of you Drowners know of a make or model of holdall which would suit me? Has to hold 8 tubes for 13ft 3-piece and 12ft 2-piece rods, have a full length zip so can be opened out, and with a couple of side pockets for brolly etc. I don't carry my rods ready made-up, so don't need the bulges for the reels to sit in. Not bothered what make it is as long as it's durable and waterproof.
Many thanks in anticipation of your replies. All recommendations will be checked and I will let you know which one I have chosen out of those.

Guy Incognito

Midport Angling Club
How about a pole hold-all? Most companies do them, in would suggest going to your Slovak tackle shop and having look?
All the best
Rick

rd115

The Touch ™
Site Supporter
This might be a good for a start, only one umbrella pocket though.

guitarslinger

If you fancied a change to having some rods made up ready for quick access I can vouch for this one.

I can take 4 rods in the ready access rod sleeves and a 16m pole in the main compartment plus feeder arm and a few other bits. (6 top kits). Could probably squeeze more in if required. Side pocket easily fits brolly and landing net handle in as well.

Its a very smart, but large bag. Look a right tart turning up with that and the S36 box!! ?

feldri

Site Supporter
If you fancied a change to having some rods made up ready for quick access I can vouch for this one.

I can take 4 rods in the ready access rod sleeves and a 16m pole in the main compartment plus feeder arm and a few other bits. (6 top kits). Could probably squeeze more in if required. Side pocket easily fits brolly and landing net handle in as well.

Its a very smart, but large bag. Look a right tart turning up with that and the S36 box!! ?

Nope. Refuse to leave my rods set up. Much prefer to take them apart and store them safely. And I've already got a holdall for my poles and topkits. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
You could try GTi based in Oldham

https://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/gti-matchman-luggage.97220/

nejohn

Site Supporter
Have a look in the classifieds there is a new brand new Tri-cast going for £25, double check the length but I used to have a 6 tube tri-cast and I could get 7 tubes in easily and 8 at a push

adriang

Site Supporter
I went through exactly this, retired my Nash about a month ago, started using a Preston Hardcase which I couldn't get on with and is now on eBay.

I got a Browning, can't remember the exact model, but it's got 3 external pockets and an umbrella 'sleeve' on the outside and another internal pocket, plus room for quite a few tubes, maybe 7 or 8. It's longer than the Nash when I look at how my tubes are fitting inside.

GTi (mentioned above) are well worth a look, I have one of their Pole Holdalls which is about 25 years old, and it's still going strong. I didn't know they were still going.

MarkW

Good luck in your search. I got a Nash holdall in 1987, still got it but heavily worn, and had two Halkon Hunt Nash holdalls from 1990 with team colours of similar brilliant durability. I don't carry much gear, two rods in tubes and a pole plus brolly at most so found a Dick Clegg holdall (over a decade ago) for that lot plus a Gardner quiver for river roving that takes two tubes - never carry rods made up.

Still using some Nash bait/net holdalls from the same era, truly the best!

CarpCatcher86

Good luck in your search. I got a Nash holdall in 1987, still got it but heavily worn, and had two Halkon Hunt Nash holdalls from 1990 with team colours of similar brilliant durability. I don't carry much gear, two rods in tubes and a pole plus brolly at most so found a Dick Clegg holdall (over a decade ago) for that lot plus a Gardner quiver for river roving that takes two tubes - never carry rods made up.

Still using some Nash bait/net holdalls from the same era, truly the best!
I used to have a nash carryall and rod holdall That just kept going. I only sold them because I started carrying less gear with me.
On another note, didn't Halkon Hunt make clothing, mainly for Daiwa? Sandra is married to Allan Scotthorne if I remember rightly.

nejohn

Site Supporter
The Nash kit was definately a game changer as far as luggage went so much better than anything else that was on the market at the time, I think I might still have a holdall tucked away somewhere from back in the late 80's early 90's design and quality were brilliant, Also has Matchman GTi luggage which was very good but the supply was somewhat erratic. I still use a Fox Match holdall for my river fishing or when I won't need longer 2 piece rods, it's design is very similar to the original Nash Kit. I still go to Nash for some items even though they are now very much Carp orientated, the clothing is very good, I have some of the Zero Tolerance kit which is great quality and well designed, the waterproof over trousers must rate as the best designed over trousers I have seen

feldri

Site Supporter
Having had a look at the ones mentioned, I have to say that at the moment the Preston holdall is in the lead. Tubes can be strapped in, pocket for brolly and other bits. Looks fairly massive compared to the Nash but looks can be deceiving. Any more suggestions?
Going to have a look on Bobco and see what they've got in stock and maybe Ebay. Have googled rod holdalls and the majority are for made up carp rods.
My pole holdall came with my pole from Browning so might go on their website and see if they do one for rods.
Thanks for your suggestions lads, keep them coming. :upthumb:

MarkW

I used to have a nash carryall and rod holdall That just kept going. I only sold them because I started carrying less gear with me.
On another note, didn't Halkon Hunt make clothing, mainly for Daiwa? Sandra is married to Allan Scotthorne if I remember rightly.
Halkon Hunt modified Nash luggage with team colours circa 1990.

andyb28

Site Supporter
@feldri Where are you based ? I have a 8 tube (I think) Garbolino holdall you can have if your intrested

feldri

Site Supporter
Why are you retiring your current one mate?

To be honest I don't really want to, but it's very heavy being constructed of pvc with a padded lining. I've had to repair the full length zipper and the bottom is beginning to fall out. It's been used and abused for 30 odd years and just think it's time to replace with a lighter version. My pole holdall in comparison is light as a feather.

PeteC

I still have a Nash one...apart from a hole in the brolly pocket and a broken zip toggle it's still usable......! Just goes to show how good that luggage actually was. I tend to take less kit with me now and have a smaller Preston one that just takes 6 tubes and still opens flat..one thing I did find though, which kind of made the Nash one redundant, was that as rods got longer the hold-all needed to expand too and it was mainly for that reason that I changed. My pole obviously has its own holder so that's more kit to lug around, good job I don't have to trudge miles anymore to fish eh.
Sorry, just realised that I'm not being that helpful in your search for new kit, but it's good to reminisce and to find out I'm not the only one who doesn't get through gear at the drop of a hat ..!

Total

Site Supporter
I'm surprised Drennan rod holdalls ain't been mentioned...:unsure:....Admittedly, not cheap and to meet your '8 rod' request/use I would recommend the 10 to 12 rod version as the 6 to 8 rod version IMO is a bit tight fitting for 8 rod tubes...Big enough front pocket for all your other clobber etc.....No rod bag except possibly the PVA type are fully waterproof, the zips let this down....Having had a couple of the said rod bags above, I'd recommend them

I hope you find what you need and within your budget...(y)

Drennan 6/8 & 10/12 Tube Rod Holdalls - Buy Online