Rod grippers

BarryS

Gone fishing
Having had a thread about how many people have lost rods pulled in by big fish. It seens that quite a few people are using some form of rod gripper on the rear rod rest.
Which ones are the best ? Im thinking of getting one or two.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
They come in all shapes and sizes. From these...

To these. I use this type on my Carp rods...

Or even glow-in-the-dark ones. Use drop-down to choose these. 4 in a pack...

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Guru do one, I use Nash ones on my carp rods

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have the rear Guru gripper and tbh I'm not a lover of it, in fact one of the ears snapped off when I caught my leg on it.
I find it grips the rod butt too tightly and snatches the rod when you lift to strike.
Since one of the ears snapped off, it's been a big improvement.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I have the rear Guru gripper and tbh I'm not a lover of it, in fact one of the ears snapped off when I caught my leg on it.
I find it grips the rod butt too tightly and snatches the rod when you lift to strike.
Since one of the ears snapped off, it's been a big improvement.
You'd hate the Nash ones then....
5242e9b21b065_t2795-96-buttlocks-new_1_1.jpg

John Step

Site Supporter
A mate who does the occasional locked up for carp uses the expensive option of two cable ties to a rod which are cut off and discarded afterwards.
One cable tie round the rod with the second one forming a circle and hung over one of the arms of the u shape rear rest.
Hope that makes sense.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Sometimes a bait runner is no good if up against a snag and a tight butt grip can save the rod and reel going for a swim

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sometimes a bait runner is no good if up against a snag
Yep a free spool or too loose a drag can be a disaster at times. My uncle got done twice in a session on the warks Avon last summer with whatever he hooked being in the far bank bush before he tightened up to it! Would never have pulled his rod in anyway tbf as he had it angled up to keep the line off the water like you tend to on rivers so would have taken some real welly to get it up and over his feeder arm. He paid the price for still having his reel set up for Stillwater tench and bream fishing.

Total

Site Supporter
Who said anything about snags?....Certainly not the OP....Jeezusss!....Different situation altogether....You need to be straight on the rods or don't angle for them if you can't do it properly....

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Beware m3/8 thread is not the same as 3/8 BSF that is the normal thread on all our angling bits and pieces.

Wily Coyote

Site Supporter
I used to use self-adhesive velcro especially at night,, - stick one piece inside a U shaped butt rest and the other around the rod wherever you like, it won't move