Rod for float fishing

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Today I went float fishing for the first time in about 10 years, since I started fishing a few weeks ago I've only used a quiver tip and a feeder.

I had an old Ron Thompson 12ft Match rod, which worked fine, but seemed really really heavy. It was given to me about 15 years ago, so it's at least 20 years old I'd guess. I expect that technology has moved things on in terms of weight during this time.

I quite enjoyed myself, catching lots of little roach, skimmers and perch, and I'd like to continue float fishing as well as feeder.

So I'm looking for a new float rod. Looking online there are literally hundreds of options. Many different manufacturers, different lengths from 10ft to 17ft, price range from £20 to £hundreds.

I'd like something lighter, that can be used for general float fishing for silvers, but that also handle carp up to 8-10lb, which there are many of in the venues I fish.

Budget up to £75.

What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance

Stewie

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’d look at the shakespeare agility range. Discontinued now so bobco are selling them off for 60 odd quid which is a steal as they were over £100 when new and least feel like they are worth it.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
I bought the 15ft version from Bob co there feel stronger then my acolyte so should handle bigger fish don't fish where they are a lot of carp though

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Preston Innovations Tyson 13 FT Waggler Rod, BNWT | eBay
Was just having a trawl on the bay I've got the feeder version not looked at float rod might be a beefy for trotting silvers on the river, but it might do a job.
That’s a pretty decent option tbf. My dads got one and whilst it is still a touch heavy for silvers it’s much better than similar priced rods like the ninja and reality. Whereas they really are commercial rods the Tyson is more of an allrounder as has closer to a proper float rod action.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
I picked up the Preston Tyson Waggler rod for 50 notes from eBay. I’ve only used it once for silvers, but I’m happy with it. I found it easy to cast and it feels like it has some give if you hook into something a bit bigger..