rod and reel beginer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingy

ive been fishing 4 times over the past week or so with borrowed tackle, ive got the bug. can anyone advise a good all round course rod and reel budget 100ish ive heard the shakespeare odessa gold is a good rod!

Last edited:

martin.

Account Locked
hi bingy
firstly a BIG WELCOME to the mad MDs
with that type of budget there are quite a few options available
would you be using it mainly on canals or lakes, for fish up to say 4-5lb or for carp up to 25lb.
i would say that if you look around youll find youll be able to buy both float rod & reel also feeder rod & reel & still have some left for terminal tackle.
some of the others would probably be able to give you a better idea as to make/models but im normaly a pole man

tight lines.
martin.
Datafile3.asp

talk fishing flip football

TINY

Tiny
100ish is a lot of tackle if you look around and dont get taken in by the first deal you see.[;)]

Andy.
Datafile3.asp

STAFFS ANGLING SUPPLIES

carper2002

'Ronnie'
welcome to M/D's bud and try looking in the classifieds under fishing on this site you will probably find some bargains in there
cheers

RONNIE (carper2002) a smoggy and proud

Piker

If i were you i would take a look at the argos catalogue and pick the best set.You get tackle and landing net line and all sorts. all high quality for 30 and less.
you never know fishing might not be your sport so dont go spending heaps on the best stuff around coz u might not enjoy fishing as much after a while.
this is what i did
i bought the telescopic travellers kit.

):)::--Piker--:::)(

alan edmonds

Hi bingy,
Welcome mate, if these guys don't know ...you're stuck..
Depends on how much time you've got but don't rush in, the previous advice is well sound, if you have time, get yourself a copy of angling times of whatever fishing paper you read and phone around those who are advertising tackle etc, with exactly the same question, include chapmans, bennets, and the others you will see advertising, while you're on the phone be sure to ask them to send you their catalogue,wait for the catalogues to arrive, throw a few preferences around your brain, which you will by this time have...in the meantime do what Carper suggested and look on the classifieds ads here you might just get a bargain as he says..main thing mate just keep on asking till one of us sorts you out..
Another posting by Fatgazzer may assist..he was looing for a similar deal....good onya mate..have fun looking if it aint fun don't look no more mate......Alan

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Why not give Tiny a ring I bet he'll give you a good deal (Andy what commision am I on lol) Seriously give him a ring 01785 229800.

chill out go fishing

Datafile2.asp

davidsenior

15/03/03 - 22/06/16
In Memoriam
Hi Bingy, Welcome aboard. Have yourself a look at www.bosfish.co.uk Bennetts of Sheffield mail order tackle, they would be pleased to send you a catalogue.

catch you later, tight lines, dave....

TINY

Tiny
The world is your oyster John.lol[:D]

Andy.
Datafile3.asp

STAFFS ANGLING SUPPLIES

The percher

Bolton 'till I die
joe, tell him the rod uve got. Its a reasonable price and is gud for tip fishin and float, plus can manage heavy leads.
If not try www.nimpopo.com. That usually has a few bargains or www.banksidefishing.co.uk

joe1987

'Darwener'
Ive got the diawa harrier Z. I do really like it and got it for 50, knocked down from 100. It is a feeder rod but I'm sure they do a harrier Z match or float. Piker, I got the coarse outfit 10ft rod red reel, absoloutly hate it cost me about 30 which could have been put towards some terminal tackle or a different kit. The reel is knackered but |I do occasionally get the rod out of my garage. As for reels theres so many out there for 30 with 4ball bearings and really smooth. Generally I'd stear clear of shakespeare, they are generally fine but seem to me to be cheaply manufactured poor quality rods that you will end up replacing. If someone owns one then put me right but thats my opinion of them.

*)*Joey*(*

bingy

many thanks to everyone for the guidance, ive spent some time at my local tackle shop with a bit more of an idea what ime looking for, theyve got what seems to be a good deal a ron thompson 13 ft match rod and okuma force match reel for 50 looks like good quality any comments would be appreciated cheers

Steve

Welcome Bingy [:)]

The rod will probably be fine for a start but I've not been impressed with the Okuma reels I have tried. They are tight the first few uses but they seem to wear very quickly.

I bought a Browning Syntec in the ST range and so far I have been very pleased with it. It's a good budget reel for less than 25 with good line lay for the price, I picked mine up from my local dealer for 21. The RRP is 45.

It fills up nicely with 100 mtrs of 4lb line, so not good for distance feeder fishing but fine for light feeder and float.

It's down to personal choice at the end of the day ask your local dealer for the reels in your price range and try them out. Don't forget to try the one you select on the rod. If the action is smooth, the side movement on the handle is minimal and it feels right it probably will be.

Bennets at WWW.bosfish.co.uk is ok but unless the prices are wildly different I always use my local dealer to try and keep them in business.

Fishermen have more fun than people do!

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.