Roadkill

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I see roadkill everywhere, same 'stuff' everywhere I say to myself, though this thread makes me doubt that as it's usually badgers, pheasants etc I see not a prime joint of venison.

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
The last two times out fishing I have hit a pheasant, never thought about stopping and picking them up.
it used to be illegal for the person who hit the pheasant,ect,ect to stop and pick it up but not for the the people behind,don't know whether that is still the law or not

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Never eaten roadkill afaik - although we get plenty of fallow dear, muntjac and badgers at the roadside round this way.
I do remember the "two fat ladies" talking about Badger Ham, has anyone eaten badger?

I do like rabbit occasionally - and pigeon is superb.
Pheasant is OK - but partridge and guinea fowl are better IMO.
Venison is also great.

My mum (and grandma) ate her pet rabbit in WWII as they were that desperate for food (although attitudes to "pets" were not quite so sentimental back then)
I wouldn’t go near Badger with all the TB about.

Arch

Site Supporter
IMG_0665.JPG

This old boy used to like a bit of roadkill - railway kill - slag heap kill - lamping kill - buggering off on a Scottish mountain after something only he'd seen kill, in fact anything he could kill. Got me in a little bit of trouble more that once, but what a hunter he was.

Arch

Site Supporter
Hundreds of rabbits our way at the minute, time for a cull.

I wish, we've had very few round here for the last few years, so much so I'll not be getting another Lurcher when my old bitch goes.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I don't do roadkill. I've normally got a freezer full of various game that I've got for free without having to scrape it off a verge. I can't say that venison is a regular freebie, but I do get it occasionally. Venison is probably the only game meat that I'd actually be prepared to pay for, but I'll happily eat wood pigeon, duck, pheasant, woodcock, partridge and hare. I don't recall ever having tried grouse. Despite knowing a grouse moor keeper or two, I don't remember being offered any either.

rudd

Site Supporter
it used to be illegal for the person who hit the pheasant,ect,ect to stop and pick it up but not for the the people behind,don't know whether that is still the law or not
Yes you are correct.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Yep still is.

rudd

Site Supporter
I don't do roadkill. I've normally got a freezer full of various game that I've got for free without having to scrape it off a verge. I can't say that venison is a regular freebie, but I do get it occasionally. Venison is probably the only game meat that I'd actually be prepared to pay for, but I'll happily eat wood pigeon, duck, pheasant, woodcock, partridge and hare. I don't recall ever having tried grouse. Despite knowing a grouse moor keeper or two, I don't remember being offered any either.
Never tried Woodcock or grouse (have had a dram or two), Goose is nkt the best, greasy and tough.
Venison Wellington ???

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Never tried Woodcock or grouse (have had a dram or two), Goose is nkt the best, greasy and tough.
Venison Wellington ???

I've had quite a few geese down the years. I'm no fan of wild geese though, too hit and miss. Old and underfed isn't a great combination.

DFL

Site Supporter
It wasn't a bad drama with a few twists and turns and Hugh Laurie looking every bit the slippery politician.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Don’t do roadkill but we have friends who supply us with pheasants regularly and I pick up rabbits & wooodpigeons too doing a spot of pest control for a small local estate from whom we also get the odd bit of venison.

Rules of our house are that the wifey will happily cook it but I am the one gutting / skinning / plucking as that’s a step to far for her.

davylad

Site Supporter
I remember an old timer telling me years ago how to catch a rabbit without any tools etc. He said "when you see one, start walking in a circle gradually closing in on it, until you can pick it up" Sure enough when I saw one in a field, I did what he told me, I thought fckn ell it's working, but when I got close enough to almost grab it, it scarpered.

grey

Site Supporter
I've eaten most game at one time or another, rarely through roadkill though.

Years ago, we used to get all types of various meat from Geoff the local poacher. One time, he was even presented before the courts accused of taking two of the Duke of Rutland's prize peacocks!

Despite his shabby looks and roguish profession, Geoff was an extremely likeable bloke and considered a 'local-character'. As he'd been pulled up many times before on similar charges, the Judge was becoming quite familiar and chatty with him. Fortunately, on this particular occasion he was acquitted on a technicality (even though everyone knew damn-well he was guilty).

As the court rose, the Judge hesitated; turning towards Geoff with a look of curiosity he asked "strictly off the record, what does peacock actually taste like?" Geoff considered the question before carefully answering, "very much like swan m'lud"