Roadkill

CluelessFishing

Site Supporter
Due to needing a service my Mrs' car is in the garage therefore I took her to work this morning . On the way there was a nice muntjac recently deceased lying in the cycle lane which I mentally stuck my name on . Ten minutes later on my way back and ready to pull up and throw the animal into the van for processing I was suitably disappointed to see a young fella hot footing it across the road to grab the beast and transport it back to the boot of his motor. The disappointment didn't last ...........these days I don't actually need the meat it's just a nice little bonus sometimes so I hope the bloke makes good use of it ...maybe he's on his ar se financially like I've been at times and the deer will make a good few meals .
Anyway it got me wondering if I'm very much in the minority here or whether a few of you are in the habit of picking game up off the road and making a meal of it . Deer are common round here as are pheasant ....rabbits not so much but occasional and the odd hare ....all appear on the roadside death zone at times . I travel the same roads most days so know when a roadkill is fresh and if its not flattened and mangled I always try to gather it..
Anybody else in the habit ?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Yes, pheasant mainly,

though when I kept a passle of ferret, they dined on roadkill a lot

CluelessFishing

Site Supporter
I still have a few ferrets although they see little work now.So even the mangled bits have a use .

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I still have a few ferrets although they see little work now.So even the mangled bits have a use .

My grandaughter has two, gill ferret, polecat X hob

the gill is a sod, works well but is unpredictable when handling, the hob though is a contented old fella and just plods along doing what he needs to do and is as happy as hell to be handled

JayD

Many years ago on a trip to Flamborough Head to fish from one of their famous cobles, one of our party kept demanding we stop at every piece of road kill we saw. They were then thrown into the back of the van where a mate and I were shelling mussels for bait. We had a pretty successful day, and each took a dozen or so cod back with us. The cool of the early morning journey there had turned into a sweltering hot day while we were at sea, and the stench of about a dozen various furry and feathery corpses, combined with a few mussels that had 'escaped', that met us on our return to the van, was a tad overpowering. The four dozen plus gutted cod we took back home with us didn't improve matters either. We drove the near 70 miles back to Leeds with the front windows down, and the back doors tied so that there was a 6 inch gap. We did get a couple of pints of maggots out of it though, from the batch he bred from the road kill.

John.

CluelessFishing

Site Supporter
My grandaughter has two, gill ferret, polecat X hob

the gill is a sod, works well but is unpredictable when handling, the hob though is a contented old fella and just plods along doing what he needs to do and is as happy as hell to be handled
Funnily enough its quite similar here . I have 4. A big polecat hob as gentle as they come . 2 ginger jills both the same ...then a little polecat jill which is unpredictable . cant really tell why ...all have been handled daily since they were just out of the nest but the little polecat is nippy . I won't breed off her , and perhaps shouldn't keep her around at all but sometimes I have a soft spot for the unruly . I have a big silver laced rooster and he's a b'stard for attacking me when it suits him but I can't bring myself to put him in a stew in spite of the fact we eat lots of our chickens and ducks.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've been partial to the odd Rabbit and Pheasant in my time but once supermarkets became more commonplace and the price of food dropped I found it more convenient to pop in one and pick up some freshly packed and prepared dinner ingredients :D

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Funnily enough its quite similar here . I have 4. A big polecat hob as gentle as they come . 2 ginger jills both the same ...then a little polecat jill which is unpredictable . cant really tell why ...all have been handled daily since they were just out of the nest but the little polecat is nippy . I won't breed off her , and perhaps shouldn't keep her around at all but sometimes I have a soft spot for the unruly . I have a big silver laced rooster and he's a b'stard for attacking me when it suits him but I can't bring myself to put him in a stew in spite of the fact we eat lots of our chickens and ducks.

When I was a kid, I found a young white leghorn cockerel caught up in the fence on my grandads small holding, near ripped his neck to buggery, grandad was up for wringing him, but i ended up taking him home and rudimentary medical assistance, got him fixed

called him Charlie and he ran loose up the back garden, he got to be like a guard chicken and would fly at the cats that got in the garden that sneaked around my rabbit and guinie pig cages, had mahoosive spurs and no fear, would come to me when called and was my mate

Mum didnt like him, but put up with him because of me, came home from school one day and he was gone, apparently taken by grandad to a new home to keep some hens happy, I knew that wasnt the truth,

proper upset I was

CluelessFishing

Site Supporter
Just goes to show how careful we have to be as parents . Incidents seeming quite trivial to an adult can stick wih a kid for the rest of their life.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I used to share rabbits on the airbase I worked at for a number of years,.
Caught in the morning ,gutted and skinned ready for dinner.

Didnt have rabbit for a number of years after leaving there, Then around 15 years ago my eldest lad asked me to temporarily look after his until he found new place to live,
Had them for around 14 years, I could not eat rabbit again after keeping them as pets.

When we teenagers a few of us had an allotment on which we kept chickens, homing pigeons and ferrets, Made a few bob selling chickens and the eggs.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
There are a few muntjac in a park near me, I didnt know they were there until I saw one near a bush, thought it was a dog at first.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Never eaten roadkill afaik - although we get plenty of fallow dear, muntjac and badgers at the roadside round this way.
I do remember the "two fat ladies" talking about Badger Ham, has anyone eaten badger?

I do like rabbit occasionally - and pigeon is superb.
Pheasant is OK - but partridge and guinea fowl are better IMO.
Venison is also great.

My mum (and grandma) ate her pet rabbit in WWII as they were that desperate for food (although attitudes to "pets" were not quite so sentimental back then)

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
The last two times out fishing I have hit a pheasant, never thought about stopping and picking them up.