Roach Reflections Part 6 - Hooks for roach

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Another trip down memory lane there Mark 👍

Reflo powerline for me too, my go to is 0.09 which is actually 0.10 when I've mic'd it up. The bigger sizes are further out, eg 0.10 is 0.12.

I've always tied my hooks by hand using a knot where the full length of line 'pulls through' it (figure 17 in Match Fishing Our Way by Ken Giles and Clive Smith). Ten turns is enough, and wet the knot before carefully pulling through.

Hook tying.JPG

squimp

Site Supporter
More good stuff Mark; keep it coming.

PS I use the same knot as above for spades.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I prefer long shank round bend like the Tubertini serie 2 for most of my roach (and dace) fishing ... but have to agree that the drennan super carbon maggot is an excellent hook for maggot in smaller sizes. It's my go to for winter fishing, the points stay sharp all day even when bagging.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Brilliant content as always Mark. Just wondering how you store your Hooklengths?

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Those old paper packets for me in a Daiwa hook wallet.

I do a lot of wading or standing in the edge of the river so it's easier to tuck a couple of packets of selected sizes in the top pocket of my bait apron rather than mess about with a 12" hook box.

I'm not a complete dinosaur, I'm planning on getting a 6" hook box for my pole fishing hook lengths. Eventually......

MarkW

Here's a shot of my Esi-Tie hooktier and the paper packets I use. I used to get the packets from KC Angling in Sutton, South London but that was a long time ago although I still have a very small stock of spares. When the yellow card gets worn out I replace it with new card. I store two hook lengths in each packet.
IMG_4907.JPG

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter

Just came across this. Its a posh version of what I use.

I just cut a square out of a plastic folder and staple 6 or 10 of the waxy paper packets inside, put a sticky label on the outside, job done 👍

punchcrumb

Here's a shot of my Esi-Tie hooktier and the paper packets I use. I used to get the packets from KC Angling in Sutton, South London but that was a long time ago although I still have a very small stock of spares. When the yellow card gets worn out I replace it with new card. I store two hook lengths in each packet.
IMG_4907.JPG
IMG_20201219_134916.jpg

punchcrumb

The above Is my hook tying device It is not the origanal as that one got damaged and i had a friend knock this one up for me simple enough device but very effective In tying hooks, i dont tend to tie anything less than a 22 and then only rarely 18s and twenties are mainly used these days.The Hooktier was purchased from Andy Barker possibly late seventies really good tool .

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I tie by hand but I don’t tie it that way. 🤔. It’s only the tag end that I pull through the loop and cut clean. When I know I’m going to fish caster in a session I’ll tie some round bend hooks up a couple of days prior. The whippings get a coat of lacquer to make them nice and smooth so they push into the casters easily.