Roach Reflections Part 5 - Reels for Floatfishing

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
I enjoyed that Mark, though I prefer trotting a stick float on a Pin rather than a fixed spool - but that's probably down to that being the way I started all those many years ago, something nostalgic about it. I've got a pair of 501's which I always preferred to ABU's later models though don't use them so often these days; I removed the anti-reverse so they back wind.

IanG1

Site Supporter
The daiwa auto bail arm was the 1657DM, had one in the 90s and the line lay was terrible and I soon sold it on. When I came back to fishing a couple of years back I couldn't believe they were still selling it.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Nice stuff Mark, we’re on the same page with a lot of things float fishing wise.

Must have an automatic bail for river work, particularly on small fish. Daiwa 1657DM for me, never had issues with them. There are still a lot of Mitchell Matches in use on the Yorkshire river circuit but I never got on with them for some reason.

I’m going to dig out the Abu 501s next season, I have a cunning plan involving dace up in the water.......