Roach Reflections Part 11 - Record Roach

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Very informative as always Mark and great analysis of previous record fish.
If one was to remove a scale for testing from a Roach, where would you suggest removing the scale from the fish?

MarkW

Usual advice is from the shoulder but I wouldn't take a scale unless it was a record. The situation on getting a test done is unclear at present. At one time one or two university labs. offered this for free or modest cost but suspect at present it would be a commercial lab that would do it at substantial cost. I don't want people contacting me saying they've got a scale, can I arrange for it to be tested! I did get some scales tested a couple of years ago through a university contact (not roach) and eventually it was done and the matter is now with the EA.

Rick123

Site Supporter
We once did a study of chub on a little river I fished as a boy. We would take scales from each chub caught (lower back) and the club sent them to the then National body. It was interesting what came back, they commented on the better years as Mark mentioned, when food was abundant and spawning good.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Usual advice is from the shoulder but I wouldn't take a scale unless it was a record. The situation on getting a test done is unclear at present. At one time one or two university labs. offered this for free or modest cost but suspect at present it would be a commercial lab that would do it at substantial cost. I don't want people contacting me saying they've got a scale, can I arrange for it to be tested! I did get some scales tested a couple of years ago through a university contact (not roach) and eventually it was done and the matter is now with the EA.
Just a thought Mark, surely the verification of a specimen fish should be a free RESPONSIBILITY of the Anglers Trust, EA or similar body as part of every UK Anglers' Yearly Rod License Fee?!!!!!!!!!