Roach Reflections 32 - Fishing with Elderberries

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Such a good bait but a relatively short season. I usually forget about them until I’m in my peg then rarely go looking for them but always take a bunch if I walk past some on route. Had a few fish on them today, hopefully more tomorrow 🤞🏻

Another good video btw 👍🏻

Silver fan 82

Such a good bait but a relatively short season. I usually forget about them until I’m in my peg then rarely go looking for them but always take a bunch if I walk past some on route. Had a few fish on them today, hopefully more tomorrow 🤞🏻

Another good video btw 👍🏻
Freeze them so you have a ready supply?

Silver fan 82

That could potentially work if they thaw alright?
I don't know mate I just remember reading somewhere that they can be frozen. As you say though being soft I don't know how they would thaw though. Any ideas @MarkW ?
Can be a good bait though on the handful of times I've tried them.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I don't know mate I just remember reading somewhere that they can be frozen. As you say though being soft I don't know how they would thaw though. Any ideas @MarkW ?
Can be a good bait though on the handful of times I've tried them.
Yeah might go mushy but no idea could be fine.

Definitely a useful bait to have. As mark says in the video sometimes fish will hang onto them a little longer than a seed bait probably due to the softness which can make hitting bites a little easier which I think is their usp. You’d think their softness would make them less selective but given they are generally bigger than seed baits I find they are still usually quite selective. Bit like all hemp alternatives like tares, pellets etc they don’t always work as well as the hemp itself but certainly work very well on their day.

Silver fan 82

Yeah might go mushy but no idea could be fine.

Definitely a useful bait to have. As mark says in the video sometimes fish will hang onto them a little longer than a seed bait probably due to the softness which can make hitting bites a little easier which I think is their usp. You’d think their softness would make them less selective but given they are generally bigger than seed baits I find they are still usually quite selective. Bit like all hemp alternatives like tares, pellets etc they don’t always work as well as the hemp itself but certainly work very well on their day.
They have worked well for me using them as a cocktail bait with breadflake. Obviously need to step up the hook size but sorts out the better fish.

Truly

Site Supporter
Just been out and picked some elderberries. Going to try the Nene at Fotheringhay tomorrow afternoon/evening.
I have put a small packet of elderberries in the freezer, so will see how they thaw out.