Roach or carp??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I was having a bit of a discussion in the pub the other night over what people would rather catch. I maintain that catching 20lb of roach is a much better days fishing than 50lbs of carp.

How many people can honestly say they've caught 20lb of roach in the last 12 months?

If I asked the same question regarding 50lb of carp, half the coarse anglers in the country would stick their hands up.

So I thought I'd ask the question on here - which would you prefer?

Tight Lines

Simon

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
Having caught my roach for the 2003 competition I would rather catch Carp. Any Carp just for the points, but I take your point. There is nothing nicer thanbeing sat in the sun on some lovely lake getting a roach a chuck.......Haydn

Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints.

MALC

Once upon a time i'd have said Roach but now adays it depends on the size of fish in question and if it's a match or not.

If it's a match that a few bigger fish can win then i'll go all out for the bigger fish and not bother with the net full of Silvers.
If i don't get them then so be it but i'd rather catch something that pulls back then sit there slogging it out for the Silvers.

And i tend to carry this line of thought over to pleasure fishing as well.

Yes it means i blow out now and then but i now gain little if any enjoyment from catch bits.

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

mookie

mookie
Hi Simon ---

I think l would catch 20 lb of anything rather than carp....but those carp...lets yesterday...l would like to catch them all day..[^]

Much prefer to catch mixed bags on fisheries...tench, roach, skimmers odd carp to say 2lb....rudd and the like......[:D]

But the river is tops for me really...at least there you have a chance of a mixed bag...[^][^]

Lid

I'm not really interested in catching 20lbs of roach, unless they are all over one pound, but it is nice to catch something on a bad day.

I wouldn't mind catching four or five carp to 50lbs, as I don't go carping at all at the moment. However I don't think I would make it my regular type of outing.

I like roving on rivers targeting chub, barbel, perch, etc.

Lid [:)]

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Simon i know exactly what you mean and a few years ago i would have taken the 20lb.of roach option, but having been there and done that i find these days a like the variety,

i would get great pleasure from catching 20lb.of roach but would get just as much pleasure with the 50lb.of carp or a good bag of bream, as long as i'm not doing the same type of fishing week in week out,

but if you're saying which is the harder to catch i would have to say it harder to go and get 20lb.of roach than 50lb.of carp but 15 years ago before the upsurge of the puddles it would have been the other way round.

teepee.

joe1987

'Darwener'
no-one can beat bagging up on roach. esp big 'uns! Everybody seems to be getting 100lb bags of carp in matches but i think your right there Simon, big bags of roach are just so hard to find now-a-days.

Toodlepip **Joe**

The percher

Bolton 'till I die
I like catching anything really, ever a 20Ib bag of roach or a 50Ib bag of carp would do me fine, although i feel theres much more furness and skill required for catching such a large net of roach than carp.
Still, roving the margins of lakes, and rivers for a specimen perch would better any of those anyday, they are the perfect predator, and their dogged fight always delights me.
[8D]The percher[8D]

J.Tolley

matt

Site Supporter
I must admit that about 18 months ago, i hardly ever fished for carp, sticking to silvers on canals, rivers etc. but then one day ventured down clattercote, bagged up and have been hooked on match carp fishing ever since. They fight like hell and it's great fun catching a huge netful of carp! Don't get me wrong, i think that 20lbs of roach is a greater achievement than 50 lbs of carp, but i would enjoy the carp more[;)]

HEY DUDE............

martin.

Account Locked
hi.
why does it have to be roach or carp there are several other species like perch, tench & bream & it depends on the time of year.
at the moment my first chioce would be tench im trying to beat our drain record of 69lb2ozs that i set last feb but for a change i could just as easily get a double figure net of roach from an stretch just half mile away from where i get my tench.
in the summer i prefer to get a 50lb net of bream out of a river/drain than a 50lb net of carp out of a puddle, but thats not to sat i wouldnt enjoy the later.

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Chopper

To be honest, I don't mind what I'm catching as long as the floats going under and I'm kept busy.

I would rather be on a shedfull of small roach and be bagging up all day than sat with a method rod waiting for the rod to be pulled in and just crank an occasional fish in.

A local carp puddle near me (fleets dam) is full of what a lot of people call 'spam heads' these guys just sit there through the winter fishing hair rigged meat reading their papers, drinking there flask of tea and watching the world go by until they hear the reel back winding or spool whizzing. If they get 4 fish in 5 hours they have done well. Where's the fun or skill in that?

Not my cup of tea, 20lb of roach anyday! [:D]

Managed 9lb 10oz in a match yesterday, roach and perch, wasn't hectic fishing as they were a really good stamp but certainly enjoyed myself.

Lee Saville - Colmic Team Ossett

Individual 2002 World Club Champion, Zagreb - Croatia.
Individual 2002 Angling Times North East Region Winter League Champion.
2001 Embassy Division 1 National Team Champions.

www.colmic.com

Beebs

quote:Originally posted by martin.

hi.
why does it have to be roach or carp there are several other species like perch, tench & bream.

Spot on. I was taking 4lB tench out of my local canal on a light quiver rod last summer and it gave me more pleasure than bagging a couple of carp to almost 20lB each in one day.

Roach are all very well, but one summer evening session brought so many roach and rudd from one swim that it just wasn't sport any more. I ended up seeing how many I could catch on the same maggot. When they're taking it as soon as it hits the water may be great if you're after a match bag, but for the pleasure there's no challenge. I still reckon they smell bad and are too slimy for my liking. Need to many towels to wipe your hands on. Give me the same amount of perch any day.

But if I was taking 20 roach of a pound apiece, then that might be a different story. But I'd still sacrifice that for one carp of 50lB. We can dream!!!!![:)][:)][:)]

wuffie

I fished a match on the Leeds and Liverpool at Bramley Fall Woods and it was won with 20lb of roach to breadpunch.This was about 8 years ago and it still brings a smile that I was actually there to witness it even now.The peg was where the pipe crosses just below the locks fishing down the track he caught from start to finish on a cold winters day.Funny how this memory still lingers when the 42lb I caught at Woodlands was just another match!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It would have to be the roach for me but then again if on a match, anything with fins would do.

Second favourite would have to be tench and then a bag full of dace on a river [:)]

Dave

The percher

Bolton 'till I die
Theres nothing better than catching perch for me, hence the name the percher.
A close second would have to be tench though, closely followed by crucians,they've got to be the prettiest fish ever!
The percher

TINY

Tiny
Any fish will do as long as Im on the bank.They all give pleasure after a week of c**p.

Andy.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Tench, Rudd and Roach in that order followed by Perch, and if a carp happens to come along then thank you very much, and thank your mother for the rabbit as is said in some quarters.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

Status
Not open for further replies.