Roach fishing.

Al the gooner

Site Supporter
Hi all ,bit of advice please .just back into fishing after a few years away .
Going to fish a reservoir for roach that holds some big roach.
Most of the roach come out to carp Angler’s on boilies etc.
I would like to fish two rods on a pod with maggot feeder helicopter rigs.
And one rod on the tip with maggot feeder.Would size 12 hook be ok or smaller ?.Is it worth putting a few feeder fulls of maggots in to start with then casting every 15 mins or so .Would like to study the water first but haven’t got the time (working all over Christmas).Any advice would be great please .Thanks in advice Al.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I think you're over the top with a size 12 for Roach, a size 14 or even a 16 will be ample. Compared with other fish, Roach have a delicate mouth and a size 12 will do more harm than good.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Hmmmm.... maybe not... a lot of specimen Roach come out on bigger hooks.... A size 10 or 12 is standard for fishing flake... don't see any reason to go smaller...

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Hmmmm.... maybe not... a lot of specimen Roach come out on bigger hooks.... A size 10 or 12 is standard for fishing flake... don't see any reason to go smaller...

I said smaller because of the feeding method, maggot feeder. Putting 3 on a size 16 or 4 on a size 14 gives a better chance to hide the hook. Plus it's winter when the fish slow down on the feed and go for smaller baits.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I fish big natural venues, and size 12/10’s are my go to size all summer for roach n bream, but I’ve fined down now it’s winter,, only a sizer 14 at the mo.

Minno

I fish big natural waters all year for roach (and hybrids).

I always start on a 12 at this time of year. Only thing is I use a finer wire hook when it goes cold. Preston N20 is perfect.

Had a few roach around 1lb mark in recent weeks but they are a bit of a nuisance.

Arry

Site Supporter
I said smaller because of the feeding method, maggot feeder. Putting 3 on a size 16 or 4 on a size 14 gives a better chance to hide the hook. Plus it's winter when the fish slow down on the feed and go for smaller baits.
I always thread a maggot up the shank on bigger hooks, then add the 3 or 4 maggots onto the bend... covers the hook nicely but leaves the point ready for a bite

Arry

Site Supporter
As an aside, nowadays who's to say what size a hook is... most manufacturers have their own versions... Guru's 20's are bigger than Drennan's 16's???

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Hi all ,bit of advice please .just back into fishing after a few years away .
Going to fish a reservoir for roach that holds some big roach.
Most of the roach come out to carp Angler’s on boilies etc.
I would like to fish two rods on a pod with maggot feeder helicopter rigs.
And one rod on the tip with maggot feeder.Would size 12 hook be ok or smaller ?.Is it worth putting a few feeder fulls of maggots in to start with then casting every 15 mins or so .Would like to study the water first but haven’t got the time (working all over Christmas).Any advice would be great please .Thanks in advice Al.
I would use a 20 hook if theyre shy down to maybe a 16 biggest

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Match the hook size to the bait you intend to use if the fish are a bit naive and not regularly fished for you can go on the bigger side but as has already been pointed out the number on the packet means little with huge differences between patterns.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Generally for roach I'll fish 18s on the float and 16s on feeder but will occasionally go for 16s on the float and 14s on the feeder for bigger baits.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
if I was using Flake or a lobby on the hook, I would quite happily use a size 12 (drennan) hook

but for maggot on a heli rig, a 16 would be more than adequate, being as I would rarely use a bigger bait than a double maggot

and if I was achuckin two feeder rods out, I wouldnt use the same rig on both, preferring to use only one heli rig and the other as a fixed paternoster, then seeing what was the more successful of the two and swapping thus

if its a carp water and the bigger ones come out on the carp rigs and baits, dont discount using those as well, a lot of decent dogs are caught on 6 and 8mm pellets these days

solwood

Site Supporter
If you can suss the going carp bait an 8mm version of the same would make sense

Size 14 or 16 preston c1 or pr28 cant quite remember the model but design for hair rigs

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Talking of fake maggots I bought some gulp ones a few weeks back to try for specimen style set ups so will be interesting to see if they are any good. Gulp shrimp and minnows certainly work well in the states so hopefully they'll be better than the bog standard fakes.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Talking of fake maggots I bought some gulp ones a few weeks back to try for specimen style set ups so will be interesting to see if they are any good. Gulp shrimp and minnows certainly work well in the states so hopefully they'll be better than the bog standard fakes.
Good idea to put them into a bait soak, i use the little tablet bottles marked with whatever soak is in it.