Rivers in Yorkshire

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hi Mick, fished Cundall Hall farm when in my teens, would that be the same place ?, he used to let us camp there, do they still ?
That’s the one mate and yes he does allow tents, bivvy’s and even the odd campervan. It fishes well in the summer. Not just for barbel but, roach, dace, chub, bream and perch. Some big pike in I’ve been told as well if you like a bit of pike fishing. 👍

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hi Mick, fished Cundall Hall farm when in my teens, would that be the same place ?, he used to let us camp there, do they still ?
Oooooops. Sorry. Just re - read your post. Cundall hall is the next stretch down from Cundall lodge. Sorry.

davylad

Site Supporter
Personally I like the Swale at Cundall lodge farm and although it’s on a day ticket it’s safe to fish. It’s safe for you but, there’s always a chance of getting your car stuck. The first few pegs above the weir have roach, chub and barbel in all year round. Maggots will catch but, if you want the chub bread flake should get a couple. Keep one hand on your rod though as the chub take like barbel there.
Bang on there Mick, I remember sorting a taffle out on my centre pin, whilst holding my rod. I was fishing bread on a stick, and all of sudden the rod was almost pulled from my hand. The stretch below was run by Bradford No1 I believe, and was a cracking stretch. Some days you could get fantastic dace catches, with loads of fish over half a pound.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Mirfield Angling Club, Home, Have a good few stretches of the Calder, and a very reasonable price year book it is too.
The lengths to look at this time of year are the lower ones - Altofts (Ings), Wood Nook and Mexborough Estates. Lots of quality roach and dace if conditions are right, and a chance of a big chub.

The Bradford No1 and Mirfield stretches between Brighouse and Dewsbury can produce fish at this time of year but it is very hit and miss and extremely peggy. There are chub in areas and occasionally the roach and dace will have a go. There are also grayling in some of the shallower stretches.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter

Attachments

• 2F065540-F986-4DCC-AC6F-65A6552E8A24.jpeg
    2F065540-F986-4DCC-AC6F-65A6552E8A24.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 1
  • E36CDFB3-A339-48A9-8900-6D90BCE5E68C.jpeg
    E36CDFB3-A339-48A9-8900-6D90BCE5E68C.jpeg
    273.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 3867C48C-1862-43EC-A1D5-CF71E9B149A6.jpeg
    3867C48C-1862-43EC-A1D5-CF71E9B149A6.jpeg
    320.5 KB · Views: 1

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
The lengths to look at this time of year are the lower ones - Altofts (Ings), Wood Nook and Mexborough Estates. Lots of quality roach and dace if conditions are right, and a chance of a big chub.

The Bradford No1 and Mirfield stretches between Brighouse and Dewsbury can produce fish at this time of year but it is very hit and miss and extremely peggy. There are chub in areas and occasionally the roach and dace will have a go. There are also grayling in some of the shallower stretches.
It's Altofts that my mate Carl Chadwick is fishing. 40lb of caster fish!!

Simon R

Site Supporter
On the Leeds book Topcliffe on the Swale or Middleham on the Ure.

A guy who posts regularly on YouTube fishes both the above all through winter
He had two barbel out from Topcliffe last Thursday despite the river being about three feet up

Check out his back catalogue - at one time or other he's fished most of the Leeds stretches on the Swale, Ure, Nidd, Wharfe and Ouse

Simon