Rivers in Yorkshire

Howdy all,

So I've got a Leeds and York book, and I am still learning as a river angler, mainly with a quiver tip, ledgering and feeder work. And my question to you is, if you had to choose a type of fish from the following rivers to target, what would you go for? Mainly in the winter, as that is where we are...

Wharfe
Derwent
Ouse
Nidd
Swale
Aire

I am struggling to pin down tactics when I set off on my trips to the bank on certain rivers, and just to be clear, I'm not the sort of angler who wants to wait 10 hours for a big fish. Happy to catch most fish, but really need to be getting regular bites.

Thanks for any input you may have!
Dave

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
^^. As above. Safety is paramount. I think your best bet maybe the Wharfe. Wise Owl knows it very well. Or maybe the Ouse around York. That should be safe enough to fish. Yorkshire rivers can be very dangerous in winter. Also if you are from Leeds ( tier 3 ) you may have to think about venturing into York. Hopefully Wisey will see your post and give you a reply. Might cost you a bag of jelly babies though. 🙄🤣🤣

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
In your shoes, I'd be looking at the higher reaches in winter. Grayling are likely to oblige in the worst of conditions. The areas where they are prevalent also tend to be shallow and rocky, therefore the banks tend not to be quite as clarty, steep and dangerous.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
In your shoes, I'd be looking at the higher reaches in winter. Grayling are likely to oblige in the worst of conditions. The areas where they are prevalent also tend to be shallow and rocky, therefore the banks tend not to be quite as clarty, steep and dangerous.
Good call. These are the times you wish you had a 4x4. My van gets stuck on wet grass. 🙄

Cheers lads, I am absolutely all about staying safe (and local) in these times believe me. I think the thread has turned from which fish are prominent in which Yorkshire rivers, to health and safety and mud management 😅😅 all good to know!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Personally I like the Swale at Cundall lodge farm and although it’s on a day ticket it’s safe to fish. It’s safe for you but, there’s always a chance of getting your car stuck. The first few pegs above the weir have roach, chub and barbel in all year round. Maggots will catch but, if you want the chub bread flake should get a couple. Keep one hand on your rod though as the chub take like barbel there.

Personally I like the Swale at Cundall lodge farm and although it’s on a day ticket it’s safe to fish. It’s safe for you but, there’s always a chance of getting your car stuck. The first few pegs above the weir have roach, chub and barbel in all year round. Maggots will catch but, if you want the chub bread flake should get a couple. Keep one hand on your rod though as the chub take like barbel there.
Good to know, cheers mate. I'm new to Leeds book from Jan 2021 so I'd love to try the swale at some point when I'm able to. I heard it's been good fishing there 👍 thanks a lot

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Cheers lads, I am absolutely all about staying safe (and local) in these times believe me. I think the thread has turned from which fish are prominent in which Yorkshire rivers, to health and safety and mud management 😅😅 all good to know!
We all love our fishing on here but, there’s no fish worth hurting yourself for. There’s always another day and what’s already been said .... Yorkshire rivers can be dangerous. No one wants you to come to any arm. Maybe worth meeting with a mate etc. Just a thought.

We all love our fishing on here but, there’s no fish worth hurting yourself for. There’s always another day and what’s already been said .... Yorkshire rivers can be dangerous. No one wants you to come to any arm. Maybe worth meeting with a mate etc. Just a thought.
Good idea, I've got a friend who's up for it. And I'm always on the hunt for the safe and easy swims personally 😂 I'm not about climbing up muddy banks these days

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Good to know, cheers mate. I'm new to Leeds book from Jan 2021 so I'd love to try the swale at some point when I'm able to. I heard it's been good fishing there 👍 thanks a lot
I hate to say but, the Swale like the Wharfe was better than at present. We have numerous Otters on our Yorkshire rivers now unfortunately. You’ll no doubt meet them one day. We all have. 😡

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
Chub on Bread.

River Swale - Myton
River Ouse - Foss Mouth
River Aire - Leed City Center
River Aire - Saltaire
River Wharfe - Pool Bank

Leeds City Center - Free - Aire (Whitehall Quays to Armouries)

Otley - Free - Wharfe (Otley Mills)

Burley in Wharfedale - Free - Wharfe (Little Chef/Curry House)