River Witham (bardney to langrick)

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
Its one of the areas im looking at to re-locate my caravan, plenty of stillwater fishing in the woodhall spa/ boston area but wondered if any of you guys fish the river in those areas, its 30 odd years since i fished down there so any info would be welcome. cheers.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Ive fished Langrik for bream only three or so years ago with my dad. What we used to do is walk up and down the length as spotting the bream shoals is quite easy. Just look for a patch of very cloudy water. Not done it myself but, my dad has had some lovely Tench mixed in with some bream. Bread flake on a ground bait feeder seems to be the go to bait. Good luck pal. 👍

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
Ive fished Langrik for bream only three or so years ago with my dad. What we used to do is walk up and down the length as spotting the bream shoals is quite easy. Just look for a patch of very cloudy water. Not done it myself but, my dad has had some lovely Tench mixed in with some bream. Bread flake on a ground bait feeder seems to be the go to bait. Good luck pal. 👍
Thanks for that mick, did plenty of walking up and down the welland around crowland bridge looking for coloured water back in the 90s. (y)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Thanks for that mick, did plenty of walking up and down the welland around crowland bridge looking for coloured water back in the 90s. (y)
If it’s bream then head towards Langrik ( as you know ). If it’s roach then the pegs around Tattershall bridge feeding hemp and fishing caster tends to find the better fish. Maggot simply brings in the tiny roach. Expect pike attacks though. There’s a lot of crocks around there. Once they’ve stole a few they do tend to move on though. Also try the forty foot. That can be good for both bream and roach but, remember to take hemp. Without it you’ll get bitted out. Good luck pal. 👍

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
If it’s bream then head towards Langrik ( as you know ). If it’s roach then the pegs around Tattershall bridge feeding hemp and fishing caster tends to find the better fish. Maggot simply brings in the tiny roach. Expect pike attacks though. There’s a lot of crocks around there. Once they’ve stole a few they do tend to move on though. Also try the forty foot. That can be good for both bream and roach but, remember to take hemp. Without it you’ll get bitted out. Good luck pal. 👍
Only just started to do some homework pal, going to visit area in coming months to look for caravan sites or holiday cottages, then sort fishing from there, bream fishing will be top of list on river. (y)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Only just started to do some homework pal, going to visit area in coming months to look for caravan sites or holiday cottages, then sort fishing from there, bream fishing will be top of list on river. (y)
Well, If you’d like some company and when the season opens send me a message and I’ll bob down. See if we can find a few slabs. I live too far away but, I know the locals used to pre - bait areas that they thought held bream the night before they fished. Only standard brown crumb but, it seems to work. I like Witham bream. Really dark and old looking. 🤣👍

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
Well, If you’d like some company and when the season opens send me a message and I’ll bob down. See if we can find a few slabs. I live too far away but, I know the locals used to pre - bait areas that they thought held bream the night before they fished. Only standard brown crumb but, it seems to work. I like Witham bream. Really dark and old looking. 🤣👍 a bit like me. lol.
Been watching a few youtube videos this aft, and some alarming reports of devastating fish loses in 2018 due to amonia going into river up at bardney, thats really sad to hear for me, the witham holds a special place in my heart i won the 1st ever match i entered with over 21lb at southery (5 bream). 1969 if my memory is correct mick. you would be most welcome mick, you know what they say 2 heads are better than one. (y)