River Trent

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I wish Mick, but alas no, as I was back at work today. :( Wasn't it Mar(x)ks (Ivan) that said 'Work is the curse of the fishing classes.' or something like that. :ROFLMAO:

It's supposed to be back up to 12 Degrees by next Monday. :D (y)

Retirement Kev. Best thing since halibut pellets. 🤣🤣. You don’t know how hard it is being retired. I don’t know how I do it some days. The decisions …. Local canal, local reservoir or Trent ? See …. Hard this retirement lark. 🤣🤣👍

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Fair play to you Mick you obviously worked very hard to retire early.................mind you they never did recover all of the haul from the Brinks Mat Bullion robbery did they ???:unsure::unsure::whistle::whistle::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Fair play to you Mick you obviously worked very hard to retire early.................mind you they never did recover all of the haul from the Brinks Mat Bullion robbery did they ???:unsure::unsure::whistle::whistle::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

🤣🤣🤣. My secret was to never sweep up after myself according to Total. 🤣🤣.

Happy you're getting your keys back pal. Go on then Kev ….. what names did the missus call ya ? 🤣🤣.

Scribe

Site Supporter
🤣🤣🤣. My secret was to never sweep up after myself according to Total. 🤣🤣.

Happy you're getting your keys back pal. Go on then Kev ….. what names did the missus call ya ? 🤣🤣.
I'll keep shtum Mick although a gift of one of your huge collection of Daiwa Conny Heavy feeders would seal the deal nicely. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Far to rude to publish in a Gentleman's forum such as this. :ROFLMAO: I am pretty sure there were some I had never heard of. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I'll keep shtum Mick although a gift of one of your huge collection of Daiwa Conny Heavy feeders would seal the deal nicely. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Far to rude to publish in a Gentleman's forum such as this. :ROFLMAO: I am pretty sure there were some I had never heard of. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Aye, she loves ya really Kev. I’m sure she didn’t mind missing her favourite programs on TV to fetch you your spare car keys. Such is love. 😳🤣🤣

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Have you asked her if she'll pop down and collect your original set of keys from your club secretary for you yet Kev? 😂

Scribe

Site Supporter
@Peter oddly enough, no mate, only because I am bit fond of breathing ! :eek::blast::ghost::ROFLMAO:

Besides it's an opportunity to meet the Club Secretary and quiz him about Barbel pegs on the club's waters. :sneaky:;);)

AdamRussell93

Any one fished fiskerton stretch lately? Think I’ve got Thursday and Friday off so may drive down for the day

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Did an overnighter Fri 5pm to noon Sat on my N&D card, looking to exploit the temperature rise. Just the one Bream, with one other Barbel i know of caught along the stretch early Fri night.

Scribe

Site Supporter
Well it was a bit cold when I arrived to an empty car park, car display said -2 so case of wrapping up warm. :D

Frost on the ground and recent reports stating the river was running low & clear, coupled with clear skies the sun already on it's Winter course across the sky didn't bode well for a Barbel.

IMG_1628.JPG

In all honesty I thought I was unlikely to catch a Barbel although started with two barbel rods out in the hope that it would warm up enough for whisker, hope springs eternal I guess. My thinking was that with the clear water the fish if anywhere would be further out in the deeper water, with the most flow. Began on pellet that had been soaked in Krill glug. As the morning moved into midday it was clear that the Barbel (if there) were not interested. Change of hooklink from a hair rigged band to a straight 14 hook with a bunch of dead reads on the downstream rod. Deciding that the Barbel were not going to come out to play I switch to a SLWG hook on a lighter line still at 6Ft though. Time for a bait change feeder filled with chopped worm and a dendrobena on the hook tipped with a dead red maggot.

Downstream rod tip started to nod and then went round.not the typical savage barbel bite but round it went and stayed round. Definitely not fighting like a Barbel, more like a bream until it got close in and went solid. Thought I had been taken into a snag so dropped the rod waiting to see if the fish moved off, it didn't definitely a snag I thought. Quick walk downstream and a tug managed to free the 'fish' that turned to be an industrial sized plastic sheet that I'd hooked. :(

By 1 PM the grey clouds started to roll in which was most welcome. Close to 2 PM I had the first 'proper' bite lifted into the fish and the battle was on adjusting the clutch to give ling grudingly I felt a sense of relief that at least a blank was avoided. Short lived fight unfortuantely as the lighter hookling didn't stand up to the rigours. :cry::cry:

There were three anglers on the next stretch, with Barbel rods out (so at least I wasn't the only daft begger on the bank today :ROFLMAO:) one wandered over and we had a chat over the fence,. no bites between the three of them.so they were packing up. I had decided on self imposed 3:30 PM all out. As there had been some small slow movemements and dropbacks on the upstream rod, so I left that one in and packed away the downstream rod.

3:20 PM the was a sharp rap on the rod tip and then nothing, decided to sit on the stone steps right next to the rod and wait it out.

3:25 PM small trembles, but nothing worth lifting into, by now I am looking at my watch and praying for a proper bite......

3.28 PM Tip goes over and contact made, not a Barbel by the fight, but a fish nonetheless. Feeder surfaced covered in weed followed by a chub. :D:D

I don't think I have been so relieved to land a fish before, apart from my first Barbel.

Not huge at 3 Lb 3 Oz, but my first river chub and a blank saver, I'll take that....:ROFLMAO:

IMG_1631.JPG

Last edited:

tincatim

Site Supporter
That’s a nice report. After a tough day you can consider that decent chub a good result. Well done.

I’ve had some right battles with plastic sheeting and carrier bags, they fight like stink when full of water. The absolute worst thing is when people see the rod bent over and come over to watch you land the monster fish 😂

Scribe

Site Supporter
That’s a nice report. After a tough day you can consider that decent chub a good result. Well done.

I’ve had some right battles with plastic sheeting and carrier bags, they fight like stink when full of water. The absolute worst thing is when people see the rod bent over and come over to watch you land the monster fish 😂
Thanks Tim was a blessed relief to get something on the net. As plastic bags go it was definitely a PB. :ROFLMAO:

Scribe

Site Supporter
Very nice @Scribe I lost the battle with 2 chub today, but I'll be back tomorrow for another go. The burning question, was being by the river better than a lake ?
Unlucky chip to lose two, I admire your perseverance though, supposed to get into double figures temperature wise by Tuesday.

Must admit I am a real river convert, it has become my first choice of where / how to fish.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
We had a shower down south, but not enough really I was going for another roving day but I've only just woken up so I'm not bothering, maybe tomorrow. Twilight shifts for me so work begins for another 7 day rotation.

Scribe

Site Supporter
We had a shower down south, but not enough really I was going for another roving day but I've only just woken up so I'm not bothering, maybe tomorrow. Twilight shifts for me so work begins for another 7 day rotation.
Don't blame you chip, I have worked on the continental shift system before Mornings 7 - 2, Evening 2-10 Nights 10- 7.