River Trent

Barbel seeker

Site Supporter
It's strange Northants there's just no consistency at the moment, was there on Friday 12 o'clock till nine and had four but nothing of any note but it was carrying a slight tinge of colour and on the rise, just got to keep plugging away, what is strange is that I have moved to a swim that's not fished to regular and have been catching in the day but very little in the dark where my mate is the opposite, we put it down to my peg being a lot shallower than his and they must be moving into the deeper water in the dark very strange.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
It is indeed mate. We had all the bases covered too between us and individually fished: small boilie, small and larger pellet, groundbait, meat, maggots. Know enough to know that these rivers almost shut down when conditions conspire at times, and it was still a first and nice day out Barbelling since the Severn in late Sept. Water temp wasn't uncomfortably cold, kept an eye on the levels of the week building (up and down 5 to 10cm over each of the days shown). One observation was that almost every peg from 13 on sheldons down through to the double figures on east stoke were occupied from early doors to late afternoon. Water clarity too was quite high, but nothing strange there from when we were catching before the high levels a couple of months back. Perhaps the temperatures just need to level a bit, but that said, have seen more action when the temps are lower and water even clearer fishing every calendar month in previous years, will do again this year of course though.

I am just wondering that with the increased footfall and subsequent bait going in, that immediately following a good flush and on many of these rivers now, is the better window of opportunity, the size of that window may get larger as angling pressure eases in the cooler months.

Barbel seeker

Site Supporter
I'm afraid it's just hit and hope at the moment buddy, what fish we have had has fallen to ambush pellet 10ml and 14ml , don't even bother with meat until there is a bit of floodwater on, and boilies just don't seem to work for me and have all ended up in the ground bait. not using much ground bait at the moment because of the bream which seem to dwindling at the moment preferring to block the feeder with a ground bait mix stiffened up with an egg so we can control the feed rate better. As it happens my plan of attack for this week is to use small grounbait feeders with ground pellet instead of crumb with a few added pellets cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
On my last Severn outing I sat talking to the angler who had the 14lb off the stretch and he informed he had only caught 12 all season.
This mirrors the low returns of other club members but his was the highest total of the guys I know.
Interestingly all on large lumps of meat which is something I decided not to do this season.
Lesson learnt in a way, stick to what works and don't always try to look for a perfection that you may already have.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Fished a slow release a couple of hours in after it was clear how the session was going to turn out, something i have been doing in the last couple of years and in cooler months when i am convinced that crashing feeders in regular and the subsequent bait with it won't help. Meat (just 8mm) has been doing well on this particular stretch this season and in un-meat like clarity. Strange times.

Barbel seeker

Site Supporter
spot on Keith stick to what you have confidence in and what you have caught on before else you can never settle with what's on the hook ,( that's me anyway) lol , meat only works for me when it's got floodwater on and it's heavily tinged with garlic, as for perfection still looking mate there's only one person that's perfect time I know and she's just doing breakfast😈

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
What stretch you guys fishing? I've been meaning to get some time on the Trent, last couple outings on the Derwent haven't done anything except one lost fish.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Beauty of the N&D ticket is that most swims are short walks BS, when its not car behind the peg. I don't mind a walk either way, i will happily walk to where the fish are where ever i am fishing though. Get what you mean though, you fish more a select section and club, that perhaps doesn't have the membership numbers and is a bit of a walk- hence footfall is a factor you personally can rule out. (y)

Like said before @rd115 newark and district, when recommended you get a ticket, when you were looking for Trent areas to fish. Yesterday's session was mentioned above-Sheldons.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
:cry: Might have to move house and change my name to Nottslad if this keeps up. Decided on not making the journey when i have fishing, albeit not Barbelling, more 'local' to me. As gutting as it is.

Anyone local been on the river?

Barbel seeker

Site Supporter
Just got back NHL fished 8am this morning till 7 pm tonight had five during the day and one in the dark first fish of the day about 9.30 came in at 13lbs 1ozs rest of them didn't weigh ran from 4ish to about 8 , water wasn't as high as expected but did have a tinge of colour , seven fishing and as far as I know only 10 fish caught.

AdamRussell93

Just got back NHL fished 8am this morning till 7 pm tonight had five during the day and one in the dark first fish of the day about 9.30 came in at 13lbs 1ozs rest of them didn't weigh ran from 4ish to about 8 , water wasn't as high as expected but did have a tinge of colour , seven fishing and as far as I know only 10 fish caught.
I’d do anything for a 13 😳 within reason.

Barbel seeker

Site Supporter
one of the better days this season pellet, prefer to put the blanks to the back of my mind lol and have had my fair share this year.

mattnewark

I went on Monday, 2 bites, 2 runs, 2 lost fish on the rocks. (hook lengths cut)

River was very clear so happy with 2 runs as my mate never had a sniff from the next peg.