River Trent

Barbel seeker

Site Supporter
Thanks all a long time coming together was beginning to lose the faith. Silverfisher it's one of those magic phones that makes em look bigger lol.

commieboy257

Thanks all a long time coming together was beginning to lose the faith. Silverfisher it's one of those magic phones that makes em look bigger lol.
mind me asking which part of the Trent you were fishing? I have an itch to scratch next year and catch me a barbel.

Barbel seeker

Site Supporter
Sorry commie boy not meaning to sound offensive but it's a syndicate stretch on the middle trent and have already had my ear twisted for flouting the no publicity rule , but will say it's above Newark but anywhere on the trent is capable of throwing up fish like these and bigger to but you will need to put the time in and do a bit of research, if you look at many of my and others previous posts some times it happens but this year we have all suffered hard times and most have struggled.

commieboy257

Sorry commie boy not meaning to sound offensive but it's a syndicate stretch on the middle trent and have already had my ear twisted for flouting the no publicity rule , but will say it's above Newark but anywhere on the trent is capable of throwing up fish like these and bigger to but you will need to put the time in and do a bit of research, if you look at many of my and others previous posts some times it happens but this year we have all suffered hard times and most have struggled.
no worries mate I wasn't chasing the area for any other reason than the swims look nice and accessible, the old feet get a bit tangled sometimes going up and down banks. I need to have a drive down to some places and have a look before setting off on a fishing trip.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Look at the Tail fin on it :eek:

That will create some power - awesome fish

Barbel seeker

Site Supporter
no worries mate I wasn't chasing the area for any other reason than the swims look nice and accessible, the old feet get a bit tangled sometimes going up and down banks. I need to have a drive down to some places and have a look before setting off on a fishing trip.
The swims may look accessible but the river at the moment is very low what you can't see is the steep banks needed to be navigated to get down to them which can be very dodgy when river is carrying a touch of water and can be very treacherous when banks are wet. May I suggest you try the A1 pits stretch
Just below the A1 road bridge as this is a day ticket and most pegs are quite good, also Collingham stretches where you can park at the back of the peg in most swims

AdamRussell93

Hi Barbel Seeker.

Ambush pellet ? Nope, not heard of that one. Ive been doing well on those Terry Hearn 15mm ' the source ' boilies. Not a full boilie but, Ive been shaving the sides off or making strange shapes out of them. You can still get a take on a perfectly round boilie but, they do seem to be wising up to complete round boilies. My PB is 14lb 9oz from the stretch of Trent at Besthorpe in 2016. Ive had a rake of 13lb fish but, Ive not managed to top that fish just yet. I did get a bigger barbel than that right to the net at Lady Pit farm but, the hook pulled at the last minute Doh ! Anyway, Well done BS. These are beautiful fish we catch.
They do a 14mm dumbbell shape in the source aswell, I dunno if these will make it a bit easier for you?

commieboy257

The swims may look accessible but the river at the moment is very low what you can't see is the steep banks needed to be navigated to get down to them which can be very dodgy when river is carrying a touch of water and can be very treacherous when banks are wet. May I suggest you try the A1 pits stretch
Just below the A1 road bridge as this is a day ticket and most pegs are quite good, also Collingham stretches where you can park at the back of the peg in most swims
cheers for that

AdamRussell93

I started on these a couple of seasons ago but, they seem rarer than hens teeth now. Plenty of the round ones. I just can’t find the dumbbell ones anymore. 😩
The only place I’ve seen them stock are the very few fishing republics left or online at angling direct. I use the 15mm round ones personally but I will get the dumbbell ones next!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
The only place I’ve seen them stock are the very few fishing republics left or online at angling direct. I use the 15mm round ones personally but I will get the dumbbell ones next!
Being a tight northerner I simply go all the way around a 15mm round boilie with my thumbnail. 🙄 I will get some one day ..... when they have a sale on. 🤣🤣

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
Can't class myself a northerner then, I just go straight through with a bread punch to turn them into pellets :D

Northantslad

'Any indications?
5 of us today ,8 rods x 7 hours today, not a sniff of a Barbel. About that again of other anglers visible and saw one caught.