River Trent - Muskham. PB

Status
Not open for further replies.

crowder

Me and a mate had the Trent booked at Muskham from Tuesday morning until wednesday morning. We managed to get pegs 6 and 7, which we had heard were the most productive.

upon arrival, we noticed the river was not very high, a chap about 500 yards downstream was wading halfway across and trotting. We set up the bivvy and all the other bits then began fishing.

Throughout the day we had a stream of minnows and small perch, but no sign of fish on the hair rigged halibut pellets we had set out with barbel in mind!

It came to 8 o clock, it was getting dark and the day had been fairly fruitless. We wound in the trotting rods and focused our efforts on them elusive barbel.

~after a few bleeps on the buzzer and a few liners, the first proper take came at midnight. Just as i was getting comfy in my carp chair. As soon as i hooked it i realised it was a big fish, it was holding bottom and had took about 90 yards of line.I had no idea what it was, with the way it was fighting i was saying to my mate " it's got to be a double, whatever it is". after a 10 minute battle on 10lb line straight through i managed to slip the net under this beauty.

21diyh2.jpg

The scales went to just under 8lb. And today i was happy was an understatement, my first barbel was 8lb!

The hours passed after this, we got chatting to a group on the next few pegs and before long it was getting on for 2 am when my mates alarm burst into life. After a short yet spirited fight he managed to land this immaculate 3lb 6oz chub.
2cmus6u.jpg

So overall, i was extremely happy with mine and my mates catch, especially considering the difficult cirsumstances and the fact that none of us had night fished or fished a big river before.

[:W]

Matt.Newark

Did you try caster and hemp in the feeder....I think some Barbel are wising up to the halibut pellet approach. Nice fish none the less, I live about 2 miles from there and still haven't got round to fishing it!

crowder

I didn't mate. didn't have any casters on me otherwise i would have given it a go.

We had a few runs on the pellet but i only hit 1.

Ricky24

Rich
Well done mate nice to see the fish are still there. Tip though the Trent Barbel respond very well when fished on a Boilie or Sweetcorn at night. Especially hi-viz Boilies, why? I think the problem with the Trent Barbel is that, they can become pre-occupied with the feed pellets and ignore your hook bait (you can combat this by using different size pellets with different breakdown rates) so sometimes and especially at night give them something they can't miss. Well done nice fish. Good Chub to, you don't normally catch them at night.

Ricky24

Rich
Originally posted by Matt.Newark

Did you try caster and hemp in the feeder....I think some Barbel are wising up to the halibut pellet approach. Nice fish none the less, I live about 2 miles from there and still haven't got round to fishing it!

Definately but that's only because the way angler's present it, and when I say angler's I mean most that fish for Barbel on a pellet. Barbel are really not that clever they just get wise to the same rig and way it is presented rather then steering clear of any pellets.

Notts Breamer

Dave PD
Nice one, i noticed that recently when fishing for Barbel, i've had just has much success on red maggots, everyone seems to turn up with meat, pellet or corn, they don't always work.

Nice one anyway Crowder [:T]

stemlfc

Steve
Originally posted by Notts Breamer

Nice one, i noticed that recently when fishing for Barbel, i've had just has much success on red maggots, everyone seems to turn up with meat, pellet or corn, they don't always work.

Nice one anyway Crowder [:T]

I can vouch for this, whenever I've been Barbel fishing maggots seem to do the job just as good or even better.

crowder

I think i will adopt a more natural approach next time. Cheers guys.

Dave, how did you get on at Averham?

Notts Breamer

Dave PD
Originally posted by crowder

I think i will adopt a more natural approach next time. Cheers guys.

Dave, how did you get on at Averham?
Not been this week, my son had a 10lb Barbel last week though, i had a good bag of Roach, Dace etc on stick float.

Status
Not open for further replies.