River Trent East Stoke 17th july

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattnewark

As with many rivers, it's difficult to know what weight will win and what method, it could be a few Barbel for 30lb, it could be some Bream for similar, or it could be 10lb of stick float roach/ perch/bleak and chub.

That's half the fun for me, the variety of fish and ways to catch on a river. There's a chance of a double figure Barbel, a 2lb perch, or 8lb bream....my mate had 2 corkers from peg 23 last week whilst after Barbel.

Pyffy

Site Supporter
As with many rivers, it's difficult to know what weight will win and what method, it could be a few Barbel for 30lb, it could be some Bream for similar, or it could be 10lb of stick float roach/ perch/bleak and chub.

That's half the fun for me, the variety of fish and ways to catch on a river. There's a chance of a double figure Barbel, a 2lb perch, or 8lb bream....my mate had 2 corkers from peg 23 last week whilst after Barbel.
I'd be happy with a net with 10lb in it as the last two weeks on the Nene produced around 6lb of bits on the backwater and around 8lb of bits and 4 skimmers on the main river. As long as I'm fishing I'm happy and if I'm catching a few its a real bonus. I just don't want to mess up a good peg and blank :)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I'd be happy with a net with 10lb in it as the last two weeks on the Nene produced around 6lb of bits on the backwater and around 8lb of bits and 4 skimmers on the main river. As long as I'm fishing I'm happy and if I'm catching a few its a real bonus. I just don't want to mess up a good peg and blank :)
Perhaps we could have a day on the Nene for me to master the river as I never catch anything like that.

Pyffy

Site Supporter
Perhaps we could have a day on the Nene for me to master the river as I never catch anything like that.
Sounds good Neil, will chat on Saturday and arrange a day. The stretch at Barnwell plantation is easy access and full of fish. You just need to get through the bleak. It’s nice and deep off the rod end perfect for pole at an easy 6 to 7 meters and seems to have very little weed compared to ringstead.

mattnewark

Just had a short walk this evening. Few pictures of some of the pegs and car park and gate to pegs 1-12. Didn’t go through the gate as I had my dog with me…no dogs in that section. Also you can see some of the rocks but it shelves away quite quickly. Also the track where there is plenty of room to park behind your pegs from peg 13 onwards.

Attachments

• D36920AF-CD50-41FA-8DC1-8ED97601176E.jpeg
    D36920AF-CD50-41FA-8DC1-8ED97601176E.jpeg
    473.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 432278FE-BF66-4CB5-9128-0DD4A2A466BA.jpeg
    432278FE-BF66-4CB5-9128-0DD4A2A466BA.jpeg
    443.3 KB · Views: 22
  • D0595F56-74DC-4377-AA11-DB9EAF4E21BB.jpeg
    D0595F56-74DC-4377-AA11-DB9EAF4E21BB.jpeg
    619.4 KB · Views: 23
  • A164A7EF-4E06-4810-ADE0-7EE97002B212.jpeg
    A164A7EF-4E06-4810-ADE0-7EE97002B212.jpeg
    759.4 KB · Views: 23
  • EB8FDB5F-5A03-49E2-B587-D051630F3492.jpeg
    EB8FDB5F-5A03-49E2-B587-D051630F3492.jpeg
    714.2 KB · Views: 23
  • CB415ED9-0A53-4457-AE52-519E880C096F.jpeg
    CB415ED9-0A53-4457-AE52-519E880C096F.jpeg
    720.1 KB · Views: 23
  • C5413B02-2EF5-4952-B7E7-801767AEA388.jpeg
    C5413B02-2EF5-4952-B7E7-801767AEA388.jpeg
    790.1 KB · Views: 22

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
@mattnewark lovely barbel that Matt. (y)

Weather forecast stating 25 - 27 Degrees with Very High UV levels, lets be careful out there chaps, no fishing from a lilo the Trent current is stronger than it looks. :D Seriously though keep the factor 50 topped up.

jononcb

East Stoke fished hard for the open match yesterday.
Some double figure weights further down in the higher peg numbers but 2 x 8-8-0 were the best in the low numbers off pegs 3 and 5.
Mainly Roach on the float but peg 3 did have 2 x pound Barbel on the maggot feeder.

Last edited:

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
@mattnewark lovely barbel that Matt. (y)

Weather forecast stating 25 - 27 Degrees with Very High UV levels, lets be careful out there chaps, no fishing from a lilo the Trent current is stronger than it looks. :D Seriously though keep the factor 50 topped up.
And if anyone has a Waggler with a tip like scribes hat drifting through their swim. FFS pull him out😜

IanG1

Site Supporter
Not the best practise session for me yesterday running a stick through on my local stretch at Shardlow, got totally piked out they were everywhere. Had a good double figure one tail walking and jumping for a good 10 minutes with my plump 4 oz roach in its gob till it bit through the line.......They were following every fish back on the retrieve and coming into the clearer shallow margins bold as brass. Bites just dried up in the end (hardly surprising) so gave it up as a bad job. Fished this area regularly and never had this kind of problem. Hope they don't follow me up the A46 on Saturday

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Not the best practise session for me yesterday running a stick through on my local stretch at Shardlow, got totally piked out they were everywhere. Had a good double figure one tail walking and jumping for a good 10 minutes with my plump 4 oz roach in its gob till it bit through the line.......They were following every fish back on the retrieve and coming into the clearer shallow margins bold as brass. Bites just dried up in the end (hardly surprising) so gave it up as a bad job. Fished this area regularly and never had this kind of problem. Hope they don't follow me up the A46 on Saturday
Stick float with a wire trace required. Are they counting pike on Saturday? That would be a good headline 'Trent Match Won With 50lb of Pike"

@Trogg would be taking up match fishing😜

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Is the flow left to right or right to left? Need to know if I should bring left or right handed stick floats.

gixer 13

Site Supporter
@Neil ofthe nene I dont know about you i always prefer a left to right flow as most of the trent and newark dyke i fish is left to right with the exception of the red bridge section and crowtrees. Always prefered the shelford bank at Nottingham to the Burton joyce bank because of this. What do you do you thinkk @Dave Spence you fished the Trent a lot

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Being right handed I have felt more comfortable right to left. But you take it as you find it. I can not catch as easily with the flow left to right as right to left.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
@Neil ofthe nene I dont know about you i always prefer a left to right flow as most of the trent and newark dyke i fish is left to right with the exception of the red bridge section and crowtrees. Always prefered the shelford bank at Nottingham to the Burton joyce bank because of this. What do you do you thinkk @Dave Spence you fished the Trent a lot
I always preferred right to left as I was then standing turned slightly towards my bait buckets. I had taught myself to feed left handed when I was a kid and it made things that little bit more efficient. However, in the 70's the fed matches were on the Burton Joyce side whilst NAA were on the Shelford side. Although I preferred right to left flow my favourite stretches were, like you, Shelford, hamms bridge, the cherry orchard etc etc.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Got my bait for tomorrow, no idea if its too much or too little 😆

2 pints red maggot
2 pints caster
250g willy worms
2 tins corn
2 tins hemp
3kg bucket of groundbait I prepared yesterday

🤷‍♂️

ulladubulla

Luke D.
Site Supporter
Hi Luke, thanks for the offer and well done for your Nene catch, quite an achievement. As I mentioned further up the thread I'm a Trent virgin and being a bit of an excessive, I have been trawling the net, for info on the venue, match reports and videos of methods that may be of use on the day.

I've always wanted to to trot a stick float on the Trent so I will definitely be setting one up on the day for a little fun, plus maybe a waggler for a little further out. I was hoping to set up a couple of feeder rods in advance using a running quick change swivel, above a twisted boom for the hook length, with braid on one rod and mono on the other. I will have a selection of block end and cage type feeders of various weights to hold bottom.

My real question is without knowing in advance how the river is running i.e. high or pushing through after the rain we've had, which tips should I put in my rods to save me having to re-set up again on the bank? Paul k, above suggested 3oz tips, which I have, but having never needed to use more than 2oz even on a flooded Nene, that seems excessive to my un-trained mind. Would 2oz be too light do you think? Also is seems, as we are on the outside of the bend, it doesn't look necessary to heave a feeder too far across to be in the deeper water, how deep is the inside here? 6ft/8ft/10ft? As to baits, well I think I have covered every eventuality, in that I'll have caster/maggot and worms, plus I always bring hemp and tares when ever on the river, plus of course some ground bait.

Anyways I have waffled enough, so any advice on, what to do or not to do method wise, or which baits to use or not use on the day, would be more than helpful, to allow me to get the most out of my day as predominantly this match to me is more about enjoying the day on the river and putting a few fish in the net, rather than trying all out to win the match.

Many thanks

Pete.
@Pyffy - Ref the feeder - the pegs we are fishing are more barbel/chub/silvers than bream and given the likely conditions warm, bright and a low river it would be better to target those. I usually use a Drennan Acolyte Distance 13ft with a 3 or 4oz tip if fishing halfway and over. Its a deep fairly powerful stretch and catches the wind so this combo and braid helps manage that fishing with a bow. It can easily take 4/50/60g to hold bottom on days so much different to the Nene. You are eseentially looking for drop backs/selfhooking if set up right.

Sometimes i would fish maggot feeder short and then you can get away with 12ft/2oz tips etc.

In terms of float fishing if we are peg for peg this might limit what you can do with the waggler due to space, there are usually lots of fish to be caught on the stick float close in.

Given the conditions i'll likely fish maggot feeder then convert that to hemp/caster for a barbel later on. I'm likely to ball it on the pole too but only because i want to pracise some flat float, and may set a bolo up to run over that.

Pyffy

Site Supporter
@Pyffy - Ref the feeder - the pegs we are fishing are more barbel/chub/silvers than bream and given the likely conditions warm, bright and a low river it would be better to target those. I usually use a Drennan Acolyte Distance 13ft with a 3 or 4oz tip if fishing halfway and over. Its a deep fairly powerful stretch and catches the wind so this combo and braid helps manage that fishing with a bow. It can easily take 4/50/60g to hold bottom on days so much different to the Nene. You are eseentially looking for drop backs/selfhooking if set up right.

Sometimes i would fish maggot feeder short and then you can get away with 12ft/2oz tips etc.

In terms of float fishing if we are peg for peg this might limit what you can do with the waggler due to space, there are usually lots of fish to be caught on the stick float close in.

Given the conditions i'll likely fish maggot feeder then convert that to hemp/caster for a barbel later on. I'm likely to ball it on the pole too but only because i want to pracise some flat float, and may set a bolo up to run over that.
Hi Luke, Thanks for taking the time to reply much appreciated.

Last night I set my Castizm 12'6" up with the 3oz tip and braid in anticipation, so will use that for the block end feeders which I have in 40/50/60gm sizes and cast across as you suggest. I also set my 11'6" rod up with a 3oz tip and mono for closer in, so that could do for a start and if I have to swap it over to a 2oz tip I can do so on the fly tomorrow. I'll set up the stick and use that down the edge as that's what my heart really want to do, as I really need to practice my stick skills, as with the Nene on the stretches I fish, the flow is not enough to compensate with my cack handed attempts at float control. With the faster flow I'll be able to use a bigger float carrying more weight and hopefully be easier to control and if all else fails I may pull out a waggler rod for a little waggle ;) .

Bait wise I think I have it covered although I have more casters than maggots, although I'm sure that won't be an issue, plus the staples of worms/hemp/tares. All in all I'm sure I'll have a fun session no matter the result.

Cheers once again Luke, I look forward to meeting up with everyone tomorrow and that we all have a great day.

Pete.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
I only really have 2lb 12ft barbel rods (with quiver tip carrier section) and an 11ft 1lb specimen rod that would be suitable, was thinking of bringing a 2lb 12ft rod and the 11ft but not sure now if the 11ft be long enough :unsure:

Might pack it anyway but in the landing net pocket not made up.

Status
Not open for further replies.